Virgin V+ or Sky HD ????

Walter Bishop

special agent oso

I have skyhd Not really worth it if you dont have the full package of sports and movies tho , i used to have the lot , but due to money being tight i got rid of the movies and sports , doing that i lost sports hd and movies hd and now pay a tenner a month for the hd subscripton and get around 10 hd channels that i never watch , ,

If you have the full package it's a great deal and the quality is amazing , if you can afford it go for it

Ive got Sky HD and it's brill for watching anything. The detail is unbelievable!! Programs like Discovery HD are amazing. And I just love watching football and golf on HD.

special agent oso

How much did you pay for the box ? and do still have take the 12month subscripton @ a tenner a month? I paid ?299 for our hd box , and last week i got a call saying my warranty was about to run out , so would i be interested in taken out another years protection for ?130 pound , i told them to take a run and jump , as sky are advertising them for ?75 , the guy quickly said goodbye and hung up , a right chancer

Walter Bishop
How much did you pay for the box ? and do still have take the 12month subscripton @ a tenner a month? I paid ?299 for our hd box , and last week i got a call saying my warranty was about to run out , so would i be interested in taken out another years protection for ?130 pound , i told them to take a run and jump , as sky are advertising them for ?75 , the guy quickly said goodbye and hung up , a right chancer

?75, extra ?10 a month, managed to waive connection fee !

special agent oso

It just shows you how much they have came down in the last year , they are almost giving them away now , maybe they aint as popular as they thought they would be ,

jambos are go!

V+ is excellent IMO. I think HD aint worth the bother even though I've got an HD TV.

I'm amazed the number of folk who've bought their first LCD TV and think its HD giving them the greatly improved picture. The concept of the HD specific Channels seem to have been missed. Probably cause they cant distinguish any discernible improvemnet on those channels.

V+ is excellent IMO. I think HD aint worth the bother even though I've got an HD TV.

I'm amazed the number of folk who've bought their first LCD TV and think its HD giving them the greatly improved picture. The concept of the HD specific Channels seem to have been missed. Probably cause they cant distinguish any discernible improvemnet on those channels.

have got the V+ myself. it is excellent at upscaling the standard pictures, but BBC HD nature programmes really show the difference. stunning on full HD.

jambos are go!
have got the V+ myself. it is excellent at upscaling the standard pictures, but BBC HD nature programmes really show the difference. stunning on full HD.

At the risk of appearing an Idiot I wonder if you could explain how V+ upscales the standard pictures. I was unaware it had such powers.

At the risk of appearing an Idiot I wonder if you could explain how V+ upscales the standard pictures. I was unaware it had such powers.

it upscales all channels to 720p. how? by magic!

(i dunno how, it just does)

jambos are go!
it upscales all channels to 720p. how? by magic!

(i dunno how, it just does)

Not according to the Virgin site. Are you sure you are not talking about HD Channels only available on HD ready TVs?

Not according to the Virgin site. Are you sure you are not talking about HD Channels only available on HD ready TVs?

definitely not. if you're connected with an HDMI cable the box upscales. basically a chip inserts the extra lines into the picture.

http://stuff.tv/review/Virgin-Media-V/

jambos are go!
If you already have V+ is it just a case of purchasing a HDMI lead and connecting from box to tv?

Suely that is only allowing HD and not upgrading the quality of non HD channels

If you already have V+ is it just a case of purchasing a HDMI lead and connecting from box to tv?

And you need to set your V+ box to HDMI mode

And how do you do that?

Press home, go to settings, go to change display and audio settings, and then scroll along on TV display format. ;)

jambos are go!

Sorry but I'm no clearer. I still dont think a V+ box enhances the quality on non HD channels and the benefits of HD channels are overated. I'm sure I've read that unless you have a 40" screen its useless to back up my own experience.

Sorry but I'm no clearer. I still dont think a V+ box enhances the quality on non HD channels and the benefits of HD channels are overated. I'm sure I've read that unless you have a 40" screen its useless to back up my own experience.

You must be watching your V+ box through a scart. Although I have SkyHD there is a clear difference between upscaled TV using HDMI and Scart. The difference between scart and proper HD is huge.

you're just plain wrong, fella.

Tell me about it. I was used to having the full Virgin package, Setanta et al, then moved to the flat to find I didn't even have an aerial connection.

I dont know why anyone would choose virgin over sky if sky is available. Its better in almost every single way.

I love my Sky+. Used to have Virgin but its baws in comparison.

Tell me about it. I was used to having the full Virgin package, Setanta et al, then moved to the flat to find I didn't even have an aerial connection.

i would have moved straight back out :laugh:

jambos are go!
the article is talking about the difference between HD & Full HD (720p vs 1080p) NOT the difference between HD & SD.

The article is saying that its the picture processing in your TV thats been vastly improved regardless of format or hows its delivered via HD ready or a V or Sky Box.

The article is saying that its the picture processing in your TV thats been vastly improved regardless of format or hows its delivered via HD ready or a V or Sky Box.

The article was written 2 years ago and it is about HD v HD(the different

formats)a bit like vhs, beta.

It is that old it does not even mention 1080p which is TRUE HD.

(It Talks about 1080i which is different)

jambos are go!
The article was written 2 years ago and it is about HD v HD(the different

formats)a bit like vhs, beta.

It is that old it does not even mention 1080p which is TRUE HD.

(It Talks about 1080i which is different)

It also discusses what makes a good picture and points to the Picture processing system which is independent of format. I've checked and none of the adverts/web pages are claiming HD improves non HD channels. Why?Happy to be proved wrong and get my eyes checked.

It also discusses what makes a good picture and points to the Picture processing system which is independent of format. I've checked and none of the adverts/web pages are claiming HD improves non HD channels. Why?Happy to be proved wrong and get my eyes checked.

honestly, you'll just no give this one up will you? the article you linked to is purely about the difference between 720p HD and 1080i HD. the article i gave you DOES talk about the fact the V+ upscales standard def channels to HD.

"The box will upscale all standard-def content to a hi-def resolution, making the most of other programming as well."

you can argue round in circles all you like but you're just wrong, mate.

jambos are go!
honestly, you'll just no give this one up will you? the article you linked to is purely about the difference between 720p HD and 1080i HD. the article i gave you DOES talk about the fact the V+ upscales standard def channels to HD.

"The box will upscale all standard-def content to a hi-def resolution, making the most of other programming as well."you can argue round in circles all you like but you're just wrong, mate.

That does not mean there is a discernible difference. Find me evidence that proves you get a better picture all round from an HD Box and I'll take it into account. Dont just keep telling me I'm wrong. Thats not evidence.

Can I also point out whilst we are on the topic, there is no difference between a cheap HDMI cable (about ?20) and an expensive one (?100+). So don't waste money buying an expensive one:)

That does not mean there is a discernible difference. Find me evidence that proves you get a better picture all round from an HD Box and I'll take it into account. Dont just keep telling me I'm wrong. Thats not evidence.

i've given you a source that says that it upscales the picture, you provided one that was talking about an entirely different subject. if you choose to ignore that, that's up to you.

jambos are go!

Just read a full Which Review which makes no claims of improvement on non HD channels unless the programme was one of the few made for HD viewing. It said if your not getting a good picture through your SCART you need to buy a ?10 one rather than a ?4 one. A bit cheaper than buying a new TV. Took me back when it said LCds and Plasma are not yet at the standard of the best Cathode Ray Tubes TVs(CRTs)now off the market.

Sit tight till you have to buy is my advice and dont get yourself sucked into upgrading every other month like those stereo freaks.

Archived