How much was Niemi worth?

Jimmy McNulty

Jimmy McNulty

Ok, so we probably would agree that ₤9m was a good piece of business for Craig Gordon (although we were sad to see him go).

Had VR been in charge, how much do you think we would have got for Niemi? How much do you think he was worth at the time?

Frankenstein Jambo.

Not as much gordon. Gordon was 23-24 when we sold him and neimi was 28 so you can see why he wouldn't have got so much for him. Maybe about 3 million.

Probably around the ?5million mark would have been his real value.

Because he was at a struggling (financially) Scottish club we got a decent deal.

Ok, so we probably would agree that ₤9m was a good piece of business for Craig Gordon (although we were sad to see him go).

Had VR been in charge, how much do you think we would have got for Niemi? How much do you think he was worth at the time?

In 'real' terms, more than Gordon, in my opinion - but Pieman has a record of selling players on the cheap - something Romanov certainly does not have, regardless of what faults he may or may not have.

Niemi's International understudy (Jaaskilainan sp?) was sold around the same time for ?5.5million.

take your own conclusions from that:mad: by my reckoning we got shafted

I'd say around ?5 million. Some managers are always going to be frightened off by a shorter keeper and he was 28 at the time.

as ever it depends on a lot of factors:

ability

time left on contract

any trigger fee clauses in existing contract

willingness of player to renew contract

it's often overlooked amongst the many, many, many berserk things that uncle vlad does that the craig gordon case is by far and away the best piece of business conducted by anyone in charge of hearts, ever.

it was only as a result of romanov / ubig / ukio money that hearts were able to get gordon secured on a long contract, at a time when his stock was rising fast and when he could easily have settled for seeing out the remaining year or so of his contract and left for baws.

the pieman was said to have virtually accepted an offer for gordon just after he came into the side, an offer in the region of ?500K.

i can't remember how long niemi had left on his hearts contract when he was sold but i think it was more than a year. assuming vlad could have persuaded him to re-sign with a proviso that he would sold soon after, i would think niemi could have raised a fee of about ?4-5M.

chester copperpot
as ever it depends on a lot of factors:

ability

time left on contract

any trigger fee clauses in existing contract

willingness of player to renew contract

it's often overlooked amongst the many, many, many berserk things that uncle vlad does that the craig gordon case is by far and away the best piece of business conducted by anyone in charge of hearts, ever.

it was only as a result of romanov / ubig / ukio money that hearts were able to get gordon secured on a long contract, at a time when his stock was rising fast and when he could easily have settled for seeing out the remaining year or so of his contract and left for baws.

the pieman was said to have virtually accepted an offer for gordon just after he came into the side, an offer in the region of ?500K.

i can't remember how long niemi had left on his hearts contract when he was sold but i think it was more than a year. assuming vlad could have persuaded him to re-sign with a proviso that he would sold soon after, i would think niemi could have raised a fee of about ?4-5M.

We'd have gotten 5-6M.

28's the prime for a keeper, but he was not as good as CG, but not far behind IMO.

Frankenstein Jambo.
Guys, Niemi was 30 when we sold him.

Buffalo Bill

Keepers are in there prime until the age of 37 though.

Keepers are in there prime until the age of 37 though.

I didn't say they weren't.

I'm justing getting the facts right, as more than one person said he was 28 when we sold him.

Buffalo Bill

In 'real' terms, more than Gordon, in my opinion - but Pieman has a record of selling players on the cheap - something Romanov certainly does not have, regardless of what faults he may or may not have.

Robinson didn't have a record of selling players on the cheap; he had a record of having no other option. Prospective buyers were aware that Hearts were in a dire financial situation and therefore had the luxury of making derisory bids which the club couldn't turn down.

The same fans who decried our slide towards ruin were often the same ones who criticised him for not spending enough on players. Our current situation is a direct consequence of his profligate 'speculate to accumulate' strategy - but I don't recall too much in the way of criticism back then.

Oh and to answer the question ?6 million at the time.

I dont really care how much he was worth.... because I know the team that lost out most in the whole thing was Rangers.

We got a bargain. Nae doubts there.

They would have inevitably regretted letting him go for so cheap.

The thought of us getting one over on them in that respect rather than (as is usually the case) it being the other way around always amuses me.

He was probably worth about what we got which is why VR, or anybody else running Hearts with their own financial backing, probably wouldn't have sold.

Niemi was sold in 2002 just after ITV Digital went into administration and the resulant collapse of the value of Sports broadcasting rights.

He was sold into a market where there were lots of clubs who were needing to cash in on players and only a few clubs with spare cash to buy them.

As Hearts were mortgaged to the hilt,with the SMG deal compounding matters, they were in no position to hold on to Niemi and wait for the market to improve.

Archived