Makela still rues missed chances

maroonlegions

maroonlegions

Makela still rues missed chances for Hearts in Germany

Published Date: 22 October 2008

By BARRY ANDERSON

JUHO MAKELA admits his confidence has evaporated since rejoining Hearts in July following a loan spell with HJK Helsinki. In particular, the Finnish striker cites the pre-season tour of Germany as a morale-destroying experience when he failed to impress manager Csaba Laszlo during friendly matches.

The player is not seeking to apportion blame, at least not to anyone other than himself. A three-month loan spell in Finland brought him the impressive scoring tally of 11 goals in 17 games, form he has struggled to replicate since.

Makela has managed only two substitute appearances this season and stands very much on the perimeter of Hearts' first-team squad during the final year of his contract.

And, without first-team exposure he is edging slowly towards the Tynecastle exit door without justifying any of his ?500,000 transfer fee, paid to HJK for his services in January 2006.

The frustration is clear after such prolific exploits in his homeland.

Makela pinpoints pre-season fixtures in Germany, when he missed several goalscoring chances and generally appeared out of touch in friendlies against Kaiserslautern and Wehen Wiesbaden, as the moments when self-doubt returned. He has struggled to shake it off ever since.

"I don't think it was a waste going on loan but what happened in Germany killed my confidence," he told the Evening News. "I had a good experience in Finland, playing and scoring all the time. Then I rejoined Hearts in Germany. I scored against the amateur team (Rheingau Select] but my real chance was in the next two games (against Kaiserslautern and Wehen Wiesbaden]. I had the chances but I didn't score and I got a bit of stick for that.:rolleyes:

"I haven't had the chance since then. It's not unusual for a striker to go a couple of games without a goal. :eek:For me, the most important thing was I got the chances. I played within the system and I was the one in the right position. I feel I was unlucky not to score in Germany and that killed my self-confidence because I was dropped from the starting team."

Makela has never doubted his ability to score goals when furnished with opportunities, which makes pre-season events all the more difficult to digest. He acknowledges that Hearts are still waiting for a return for their significant outlay on him, but it is a recompense they may never see as his contract nears expiry.

"I have been here a long time and haven't been given the chance. I haven't justified myself because I can't get on the pitch to show my ability," he said. "That (the Tynecastle pitch] is where I want to play, that's the goals I want to score in. As long as I'm here I'll do everything I can to make an impression.

"I'm just working hard again, trying to impress the manager. I have been playing reserve games but I need more, I need first-team football. I have done quite well in the reserves and scored a couple of goals. I hope that will help me get a place in the first team but it's difficult."

A recurrence of Mike Tullberg's muscle injury created a striking void ahead of Sunday's Edinburgh derby but Laszlo turned to the imposing Frenchman Christian Nade. His industrious performance would have been rewarded with a goal but for referee Eddie Smith, and even allowing for a late miss from six yards he will retain his place when Aberdeen visit Tynecastle on Saturday.

That leaves Makela in the familiar role of substitute ? and often an unused substitute at that. He does not pertain to be content with the situation and maintains he comes to life in the penalty area and not the technical area.

"I've always been a dangerous player.:rolleyes: I think my level rises when I am on the pitch.:eek: Some players are better in training than in games, but I am the other way. I am a good game player because I raise my standards.;)

"Whatever level I have played at, I have scored. I scored against Barcelona, I scored for Finland against Scotland in a B match, I scored goals in Finland, Switzerland, Scotland, reserve games, everywhere.

"It is difficult for me right now but I take my confidence from goals. Even if I score in training or reserve games, the goals keep my spirits up. I just try to believe."

The full article contains 747 words and appears in Edinburgh Evening News newspaper.

eh, mmm, so he still wants a chance then, then he says his confidence is low, so in my books he needs the confidence back by playing games ,which he is not getting so untill then he seems doomed , must be tough on him its like a double edged sword for him, may be he can and will come good but its a long shot.:cool:

"Whatever level I have played at, I have scored. I scored against Barcelona, I scored for Finland against Scotland in a B match, I scored goals in Finland, Switzerland, Scotland, reserve games, everywhere."

Ermm..

1. Anyone could have scored that v Barcelona,

2. its a B match,

3. Finland and Switzerland aint anything fancy,

4. Scotland! what? Scotland? Yeah maybe 5 goals in 3 years or something and 3 of which were against a lower league team!

5. Reserve games, well its reserves, thats nothing!

But why not give him another chance anyway? It would be a laugh!

It seems that not only did Makela miss his chances in pre season but also every time he turns out for the reserves and looks unimpressive and come Saturday doesnt feature in the first team plans. He is a guy whos talked alot in the press and seems a nice enough guy but ultimately will be on too high a wage for his output. He has to be allowed to leave or give him the bullet.

"Whatever level I have played at, I have scored. I scored against Barcelona, I scored for Finland against Scotland in a B match, I scored goals in Finland, Switzerland, Scotland, reserve games, everywhere."

Ermm..

1. Anyone could have scored that v Barcelona,

2. its a B match,

3. Finland and Switzerland aint anything fancy,

4. Scotland! what? Scotland? Yeah maybe 5 goals in 3 years or something and 3 of which were against a lower league team!

5. Reserve games, well its reserves, thats nothing!

But why not give him another chance anyway? It would be a laugh!

In fairness he can only score against who he is put up against. And to his credit, in general he has done.

And tbh I thought his goal against Barca was a pretty decent finish. Not as easy a chance as you're implying.

Maybe if he stopped yapping away to best pal Banderson and got on with the actual scoring of goals rather than talking about it, he wouldn't be feeling quite so miserable.

Not convinced by what he says at all. Juho....you're a striker, you need to score goals. Stop blaming everything else around you for that lull in confidence and get back to doing what you're paid to do.

And stop whinging to journalists.

Guest jambomickey
Maybe if he stopped yapping away to best pal Banderson and got on with the actual scoring of goals rather than talking about it, he wouldn't be feeling quite so miserable.

Not convinced by what he says at all. Juho....you're a striker, you need to score goals. Stop blaming everything else around you for that lull in confidence and get back to doing what you're paid to do.

spot on! his first touch is shocking and his second touch is a tackle.

Just rap it Makela FFS.

How many times now has he been in the paper greeting?

It's embarassing for the boy.

I can't believe we spend 1/2 a million pounds on a player then don't give him a run of three games in a row to prove his worth.

Jamie Mole does not score goals Makela does.

There are plenty players who have not played to their potential but he is right and deserves a chance IMO.

Is Banderson pumping Juho or something ?

There's hardly a week goes past without a 'Poor Juho' story in the EEH.

Bizzare.

maroonlegions
I can't believe we spend 1/2 a million pounds on a player then don't give him a run of three games in a row to prove his worth.

Jamie Mole does not score goals Makela does.

There are plenty players who have not played to their potential but he is right and deserves a chance IMO.

True , its understandable that he is frozen out but he must realise the reasons why this is happening but its a double edged sword here, no games cannot prove his worth, gets a game plays rank then dropped , would hate to be in his boots.:rolleyes:

Is Banderson pumping Juho or something ?

There's hardly a week goes past without a 'Poor Juho' story in the EEH.

Bizzare.

Tell you what, Le Chat - any "moles" within the Tynecastle dressing room giving info to Banderson, know who my money is on.

Not a Makela fan redm but when exactly do you think he should have been scoring all these goals ?

He has had very few chances at the club compared to others. Saying all that I am now of the opinion he is pash.

jack D and coke
True , its understandable that he is frozen out but he must realise the reasons why this is happening but its a double edged sword here, no games cannot prove his worth, gets a game plays rank then dropped , would hate to be in his boots.:rolleyes:

I wouldn't, he gets 5 grand a feckin week!

I dont know what to think about Makela cos the boy has never, imo anyway, had anything even near to a chance so how so many people can judge him and call him pish i dont know.

The squad is just bursting at the seams with goal scorers as well. What a player that laddie Mole is, canny see us holding onto him for long:rolleyes:

Any talking he's doing should be on the football field. Let's be honest, the reason he's not given a regular run is, every time he f=gets a chance - he's gash! He gave a goal away with his first touch against Motherwell FFS.

Not a Makela fan redm but when exactly do you think he should have been scoring all these goals ?

He has had very few chances at the club compared to others. Saying all that I am now of the opinion he is pash.

If he can't score in reserve matches, there's no reason whatsoever to think that he'll do any better in a first team game.

I don't buy this excuse that he 'lifts himself for the bigger games'...that's not how it works, nor should it be. You prove yourself capable and then you are given a chance...not the other way around.

sometimes when you play football you can suffer from a manager who simply does not rate you or you do not fit into the system he wants to play. this does necessarily mean that you are a poor player. however, when you do not get selected by 6/7 managers consectutively then your crap for sure.

Chad Sexington

"I played OK in Finland and then I came back to Hearts and played really crap in pre-season. I followed this up by honking the joint up in my only two sub appearances. Csaba shouted at me and now all my confidence has gone. Please play me and I might score." :eek:

Goodbye Juho.

For you the war is over.

:sad:

brellier-for-france
"I played OK in Finland and then I came back to Hearts and played really crap in pre-season. I followed this up by honking the joint up in my only two sub appearances. Csaba shouted at me and now all my confidence has gone. Please play me and I might score." :eek:

Goodbye Juho.

For you the war is over.

:sad:

Any better than the 'dont score' strikers we have now.

If i remember rightly aswell in our genius team selections last season he was always punted away out on the right almost like a winger. I am not sayin the guy is great but he obviously can score goals, i reckon with a decent shot in the right position he could bang in a few. Mole like elliot will live on the whole 'youngster with potential'. He is clearly ****, if Makela deserves to go then so does every other striker at this club as they to have had numerous chances and failed to score on a regular basis.

Son Of Anarchy

Double edged sword maybe, but he plays in reserves so bang in a hat trick every game Juho, that should get your confidence back eh? I wont be holding my breathe :rolleyes:

Archived