Note for members: Remembrance Sunday lunch

Ulysses

The McCrae's Battalion Trust will be holding its annual Remembrance Sunday lunch at the Royal Scots Club, Abercromby Place, on 9 November (1 pm for 1:30 pm).

This year the lunch will have a Haymarket theme, which is perhaps appropriate given the recent concerns there have been over the future of the Haymarket memorial.

The lunch will be held in the Hepburn Suite, the very room where the survivors of the 16th Royal Scots held their annual reunions, and well recognised for its atmosphere and quality.

Tickets are the same price as last year - ?30 per person or ?300 for a table of ten. People who have been along previously can confirm that it is an event well worth attending.

The McCrae's Battalion Trust is a cause that JKB is pleased to support. Times being as they are, it would be of much-needed benefit for the Trust to have (and be seen to have) support from the Hearts and JKB community. This is particularly so this year because it is the 90th Anniversary of the Armistice, and because of the Heart of Midlothian War Memorial theme of the event.

If any members are interested in attending, you can contact Alan Owenson at 01875 812455 (evenings) regarding tickets.

Ulysses

Administrator

I've been at all of these lunches/dinners and will be there again, would thoroughly recommend it to anyone with the slightest interest in any aspect of McCrae's Battalion, Jack's book, Contalmaison, Haymarket or decent food!

I've been at all of these lunches/dinners and will be there again, would thoroughly recommend it to anyone with the slightest interest in any aspect of McCrae's Battalion, Jack's book, Contalmaison, Haymarket or decent food!

I will be there for the first time this year. I am really looking forward to it as I have heard good stories about this lunch.

I hope that many other Hearts fans will go to this dinner.

Colonel Kurtz

I would also recomend the steak pie,well worth attending

Jack Alexander
Who is speaking this year??

The Royal Scots Club,

31 Abercromby Place

Edinburgh

The Hepburn Suite is the very room in which the survivors of the 16th Royal Scots held their reunions. Still has the same tables and chairs. This year it's a lunch, so we'll gather there at about 12.45 pm for 1.30 pm.

It's not a sombre occasion, nor is it remotely stuffy. There's usually a lot of laughs. Our speakers in the past have included John Robertson and the (almost) world famous Jimmy Stirling. This time we've got a couple of top class in-demand after-dinner speakers who have drastically reduced their usual 'fee' in order to support the cause - John O'Neill and John Het Kim. I'm told they are both extremely funny.

I'll be doing a short Powerpoint slide-show (assuming I can find time this week to compile it) focussing on a wee bit of Contalmaison 2008, but mainly the Haymarket Memorial.

Arthur Wilson will be doing his (extremely powerful) version of 'Willie McBride' - which raises the hairs on the back of your neck. And Craig Herbertson is coming all the way from Germany to perform 'Hearts of Glory'. If you haven't heard the song live, then you'll certainly remember your first time.

There'll also be a raffle - in which you can win a couple of rather valuable prizes for only a minimum fiver in an envelope. Also (I think) a couple of auction items. And don't forget the Irish bingo.

Altogether, you've probably not experienced a lunch (or dinner) quite like it. We've kind of made up our own Remembrance rules.

I have just come across this picture, which has scanned somewhat badly, of the Contalmaison church, which may be of interest.

It comes from a 1938 magazine called 'Twenty Years After.'

15myank.jpg

Archived