What Anthem?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What Anthem?

• Flower of Scotland
    • Caledonia
    • Loch Lomond
    • 500 Miles
    • Other (Please Specify)

Follwoing on from the National Anthem thread what do you think should be Scotland's? Ie what they sing at football and rugby games.

What they sing at the rugby and football isn't the national anthem.

Aye, but Scots Wa Hae isn't quite as rousing as FoS. We don't need a dirge, and FoS provides the answer to that quite well.

I like Flower of Scotland to sing at the rugby/footie, but having a dig at your neighbours in your anthem does seem very backward to me.

Caledonia, and Loch Lomond are good songs but they are not anthems.

Unfortunatley I don't think any of the typically nominated songs stand out.

I don't think Highland Cathedral should be chosen because it has religious connotations and any anthem should encompass people of any religion, or no religion.

For me the song that stands out is another of Robert Burns's classics A Man's A Man For 'A That, although it also has it's faults (namely it would be too difficult to pick two verses to sing):

Is there for honest poverty

That hings his head, an a' that?

The coward slave, we pass him by -

We dare be poor for a' that!

For a' that, an a' that,

Our toils obscure, an a' that,

The rank is but the guinea's stamp,

The man's the gowd for a' that.

What though on hamely fare we dine,

Wear hoddin grey, an a' that?

Gie fools their silks, and knaves their wine -

A man's a man for a' that.

For a' that, an a' that.

Their tinsel show, an a' that,

The honest man, tho e'er sae poor,

Is king o men for a' that.

Ye see you birkie ca'd 'a lord,'

What struts, an stares, an a' that?

Tho hundreds worship at his word,

He's but a cuif for a' that.

For a' that, an a' that,

His ribband, star, an a' that,

The man o independent mind,

He looks an laughs at a' that.

A prince can mak a belted knight,

A marquis, duke, an a' that!

But an honest man's aboon his might -

Guid faith, he mauna fa' that!

For a' that, an a' that,

Their dignities, an a' that,

The pith o sense an pride o worth.

Are higher rank than a' that.

Then let us pray that come it may

[As come it will for a' that],

That Sense and Worth o'er a' the earth,

Shall bear the gree an a' that.

For a' that, an a' that,

It's comin yet for a' that,

That man to man, the world, o'er

Shall brithers be for a' that.

this_is_my_story
Aye, but Scots Wa Hae isn't quite as rousing as FoS. We don't need a dirge, and FoS provides the answer to that quite well.

That's exactly what Flower of Scotland is though!

God Save The Queen.

Going by your wee after thought does that include british nationalism.

caledonia for me.

Going by your wee after thought does that include british nationalism.

caledonia for me.

My signature is a quote from George Orwell, in reference to the SNP who I believe to be a great danger to the future of our country. I strongly believe in maintaining the Union.

Flower of Scotland for me. Never once had a problem with it being our adopted national anthem and I probably never will.

My signature is a quote from George Orwell, in reference to the SNP who I believe to be a great danger to the future of our country. I strongly believe in maintaining the Union.

I know the quote to, its not just scottish nationalism that can be dangerous.

anyway i think we may get our wrists slapped for going of thread.

I cant see scotland fans singing god save the queen at hampden can you.

I know the quote to, its not just scottish nationalism that can be dangerous.

anyway i think we may get our wrists slapped for going of thread.

I cant see scotland fans singing god save the queen at hampden can you.

I agree. All forms of nationalism can be dangerous. My personal opinion on the matter is that being part of 'one country' (which we are) that our national anthem should be used for all of the home nations. Everyone has their own beliefs and in our country you are, and should be entitled to hold those beliefs.

I also agree that it is incredibly unlikely that GSTQ would be sung at Hampden. I find that sad and I must admit I find the anti-British/English feeling amongst many Scots, and to be fair other people in Britain too, to be completely un-necessary and abhorrent. Personally and technically my family and I are primarily English, but also Scottish, and I have strong connections to both countries.

Again I agree that perhaps this has gone off topic and has the potential to do even more so. I merely offered my opinion and I realise to some it may be controversial. Perhaps it is best if the comments are removed if it will indeed cause offense to you and others.

I agree. All forms of nationalism can be dangerous. My personal opinion on the matter is that being part of 'one country' (which we are) that our national anthem should be used for all of the home nations. Everyone has their own beliefs and in our country you are, and should be entitled to hold those beliefs.

I also agree that it is incredibly unlikely that GSTQ would be sung at Hampden. I find that sad and I must admit I find the anti-British/English feeling amongst many Scots, and to be fair other people in Britain too, to be completely un-necessary and abhorrent. Personally and technically my family and I are primarily English, but also Scottish, and I have strong connections to both countries.

Again I agree that perhaps this has gone off topic and has the potential to do even more so. I merely offered my opinion and I realise to some it may be controversial. Perhaps it is best if the comments are removed if it will indeed cause offense to you and others.

I'm not even slightly offended because i agree we are intitled to our own point of view. The day we are not is day we are in real trouble. I am just stating my point that all nationalism can be dangerous and some times not.

Follwoing on from the National Anthem thread what do you think should be Scotland's? Ie what they sing at football and rugby games.

Presonally I'd love it if they did away with 'anthems' before sporting events. I can't stand national anthems. I go to football to watch football, not to have to listen to some daft tune that means bugger all in the bigger scheme of things.

Probably in a minority on this one though!

Archived