Homemade Soup

billyboy38

Just made a big pot of Homemade Lentil & Bacon Soup......

Just Fab and healthy.....

Lentils, Bacon, Leeks, Swede, Carrots & 4 Vegtable stock cubes.

How do you make yours?

What ingredients do you use?

I believe my soup is the best ive ever tasted!:P

****** all this convienience food....;)

How do you make yours?

i put water in mine. yours sounds a bit dry.

:D

How do you make yours?

How much do you make? Isn't it a bit salty with 4 stock cubes and bacon in it?

I love Lentil and Bacon soup though. Onions, garlic, chilli, carrots, bacon, lentils, vegetable stock and finished off with some brussels sprouts ...

Love lentil soup

I make mine with onion, lentils, carrot, some other root veggies if I have them, and ham ribs! Ham ribs add the saltyness, and an amazing flavour. THen just simmer it in water for a couple of hours

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I like a tablespoon or two of green curry paste in my lentil soup

Try it and you'll be amazed

The ex used to make spicey vegetable soup. All the usual lentils, veg etc as well as a chicken stock cube, curry powder and pepper.

Burned the hole off you, but gorgeous.

I,v just made some lentil soup, i use garlic (plenty) onions, carrots, tomatoes (peeled) and some veggie stock and lentils and water of course, i bring it up to the boil and simmer for an hour, then i blend it and add seasoning, yummy :)

My hubbys favourite is ham soup which is basically a smoked ham haugh,, carrots, tatties, leeks and veg stock cubes

Dear All,

I have a great soup recipe for you.

Spicey Red Pepper Soup (serves about 6 - 8):

A good dash of olive oil

Garlic

two onions finely chopped

four large red peppers

two tins of chopped tomatoes

half a red chilli or chili flakes

About a pint and a half of veggie stock

Sweat the onions and peppers in with the garlic and oil, maybe a wee bit of water too for about ten minutes.

Add the stock and the chopped tomatoes and then simmer for about 20 minutes.

Then take a hand blender to it all and smooth it down

It is really, really nice.

Buffalo Bill

I make a couple of large pots of soup each week to feed the poor in the Grassmarket.

The best is my two pots soup, I don't have specific quantities, it's not an exact science.

One pot contains carrots, parsnips and cumin seeds, boil it up for about 30 minutes until the veggies are soft and then blend until smooth.

Second pot has lentils or split peas, leeks, very finely diced swede and very finely diced onions, some stock cubes, usually between four and six, but this making about 4 gallons of soup!

Add pot one to pot two and you have a partially blended soup, with some body and consistency to it. Season it, that's a key step, it must be seasoned.

The cumin gives it a lovely flavour and the combination of blended and chunky bits makes it interesting.

We've used some other things too, cous cous is good for body, little bits of broken up spaghetti are good too.

Soup is great, it's not hard to make and is an ideal opportunity for experimentation.

It's encouraging to see how many other people actually bother to make their own soups in an age where the trend is all for convenience food. I was beginning to think I must be a solitary freak for indulging in this activity. I can't think of a more inexpensive and satisfying meal and with so many winter vegetables coming into season one is spoilt for choice.

I do fancy the Green curry paste , away to Morrisons now to pick a jar up.:)

Dear All,

A good dash of olive oil

Garlic

four large red peppers

Sweat the onions and peppers in with the garlic and oil, maybe a wee bit of water too for about ten minutes.

Buffalo Bill

This thread has made me decide to make soup tonight and i was going for my trusty veg think i may give this a go instead.

This thread has made me decide to make soup tonight and i was going for my trusty veg think i may give this a go instead.

Dude, it is awesome.

Buffalo Bill

I made a pot of carrot soup yesterday.

5 large carrots

2 onions

1 potato (to thicken)

chopped and into a pan.

Fill with vegetable stock until the vegetables are covered.

Cook until vegetables are soft.

Then blend it.

Easy.

For carrot and corriander - just add corriander.

Or sometime I just add some fresh chillies and chilli powder to give it a kick.

I will be borrowing some recipies from here actually - Being a student homemade soup is so cheap and easy - and you can just stick it in the fridge and it lasts you all week!

I made a pot of carrot soup yesterday.

5 large carrots

2 onions

1 potato (to thicken)

chopped and into a pan.

Fill with vegetable stock until the vegetables are covered.

Cook until vegetables are soft.

Then blend it.

Easy.

For carrot and corriander - just add corriander.

Or sometime I just add some fresh chillies and chilli powder to give it a kick.

I will be borrowing some recipies from here actually - Being a student homemade soup is so cheap and easy - and you can just stick it in the fridge and it lasts you all week!

Made Chilli & Carrot soup last night...

My favourite is Haggis Broth

Diced Turnip

Diced Potato

Diced Carrott

Diced Onion or finely sliced leek

4 stock cubes

Haggis

I generally make this when making Haggis, neeps & tatties as you have all the stuff. The first day is a clear soup (akin to chicken & Rice soup) and by day 2 the oatmeal has softened and thickened the soup to make it creamier... 2 soups from 1

Made big pot of tomato this week always add in chillie,ginger ,garlic and herbs .Also use Marigold veg stock

scott herbertson

Make a big pot of chicken soup (with rice carrots, leeks potato knorr chicken stock cubes bay leaf fresh herbs from the garden , salt and papper)

My kids swear by it. the only meal guaranteed to drag my 7 year old boy away from pokemo, bakagun or ben 10 on the telly

The ex used to make spicey vegetable soup. All the usual lentils, veg etc as well as a chicken stock cube, curry powder and pepper.

Burned the hole off you, but gorgeous.

The mind boggles! Now what about the soup?

Guest juvehearts

Barry a soup thread.

class for the winter time & its british season time for your leeks, sweedes e.c.t

Carrot & orange soup

carrot & corriander

parsnip soup

chicken soup

tomato soup

vegetable soup

spicy red pepper soup (BB thats going on the menu tomorrow m8 nice one)

soup changes every day ?2.00 a bowel of homemade soup and a free basket of bread,

maxies bistro 5b johnstone terrace,

pip in & say HI!

Juve.

P.S If you are deciding to make it in the house, GET DOWN TO ALDI 39P for ALL fruit & veg!!!!!

Say What Again

I made Mediterranean pasta soup last week.

2 tins of chopped tomatoes

4 cloves garlic

1 onion

150g chopped spinach

250g fusilli pasta

250g sliced chirizo sausage

1 litre chicken stock

salt, pepper, chopped herbs and a pinch of sugar.

Served with parmesan and warm French bread.

It was fantastic.

Dude, it is awesome.

Buffalo Bill

I made it last night it is gooooooood another one to add to the collection of soups :)

Dear All,

A good dash of olive oil

Garlic

four large red peppers

Buffalo Bill

Can see your next book will be a recipe one :).

Sounds good might attempt it though.

Can see your next book will be a recipe one :).

Sounds good might attempt it though.

Attempt it its easy and tastes ace i made it last night.

Mines is probably better than his :P

Dear All,

A good dash of olive oil

Garlic

four large red peppers

Buffalo Bill

Next time BB, try substituting one of your peppers and some of your tom's for a couple of sweet potatoes.

You can then call it sweet potato and spicy pepper soup which coincidentally is one of my faves.

You wont be disappointed.

Yours, Delia.:P

make all different kinds of soup, depends on what is in season and on special offer at the supermarket. latest one i made was tomato soup. a few ingredients but almosted lasted a day.

1 onion chopped and diced

2 carrots chopped

loads of tomatoes (you can use tinned but it does not taste the same) quatered

garlic

veg or chicken stock

cook the onion till soft, then add everything else in, after about an hour blend and season to taste.

one of my favourites is tattie soup

no specific quantities and you can add or remove to your taste

carrots

turnip

potatoes diced

onion

leak

spring onion

garlic

boil the turnip and carrots until soft and blend to a pulp

add everything else and simmer for an hour.

add salt and ground pepper to your own taste

i find that you don't always need veg stock if you use the water you boiled the carrots and turnip in.

The People's Chimp

Good to see everyone on this thread going strong with the quality recipes. The chicken or ham with leek, carrots, rice or barley is a classic and soo easy to make.

I also really like spicy parsnip - onions, parsnips and lentils, with a healthy dose of curry powder and various curry spices.

Cream of broccoli - vegetable stock, heaps of broccoli, after a while take out a about half your broccoli and put to the side, then blend down what's in the pot, then put back your remaining veg and add the cream just before serving.

Dhal soup - basically a thick dhal loosened with stock - either veg or chicken - and heavy spices ;)

and minestrone - be sure to start with a couple of onions, and a lot of olive oil, then depending on what kind of stock you're using, add your stock, tomatoes and then proceed with as many bits of the following as possible; italian variety of cabbage, carrot, borlotti/cannelini beans, courgettes, celery and so on. throw in a bit of pasta at the end, but don't do what i did last time and go mad on the pasta or you'll wind up with a soup thick enough for a spoon to stand up in it.

make all different kinds of soup, depends on what is in season and on special offer at the supermarket. latest one i made was tomato soup. a few ingredients but almosted lasted a day.

1 onion chopped and diced

2 carrots chopped

loads of tomatoes (you can use tinned but it does not taste the same) quatered

garlic

veg or chicken stock

cook the onion till soft, then add everything else in, after about an hour blend and season to taste.

So thats the recipe for tomato soup you were meant to give me ages ago!!

ps next time you make your tomato soup gie me a shout, and I,ll tell you if you,re the good cook you say you are :P

Rudi Hates Hibees
Only Grans can make the best home made soup. They must go to some secret cooking class.

FACT.

Totally agree. Grans make the best soup ever!

FACT.

After reading this thread this morning - and having absolutely **** all to do all day as I don't get a call until tomorrow to find out if I join the working masses again - I decided to go to Tesco and then to make my first ever soup.

In the end I made what I guess you could call a Spicey Tomato and Vegetable Soup.

Ingredients were:

1 1/2 Carrots

1 Leek

2 Red Peppers

1 Onion

5 Fresh Tomatoes

2 Tins of Chopped tomato

4 Vegetable Stock Cubes

Added was boiling water, Black Pepper, Salt, Garlic Granules, Pa****a, Ground Cayene and Chili Powder.

I don't possess a really big pot so to make sure it wasn't mostly made up of lumps of vege, I withdrew some of the vege and tossed it in the blender before mixing it back in.

I have to say I was impressed with the final result. Not the greatest soup I've ever tasted - continuing the theme of this thread I would have to say that title belongs to my gran - but I certainly enjoyed it and made sure to note it down so I can make it again once I've experimented with a few other recipes.

Edit: Why the hell is P A P R I K A edited?

After reading this thread this morning - and having absolutely **** all to do all day as I don't get a call until tomorrow to find out if I join the working masses again - I decided to go to Tesco and then to make my first ever soup.

In the end I made what I guess you could call a Spicey Tomato and Vegetable Soup.

Ingredients were:

1 1/2 Carrots

1 Leek

2 Red Peppers

1 Onion

5 Fresh Tomatoes

2 Tins of Chopped tomato

4 Vegetable Stock Cubes

Added was boiling water, Black Pepper, Salt, Garlic Granules, Pa****a, Ground Cayene and Chili Powder.

I don't possess a really big pot so to make sure it wasn't mostly made up of lumps of vege, I withdrew some of the vege and tossed it in the blender before mixing it back in.

I have to say I was impressed with the final result. Not the greatest soup I've ever tasted - continuing the theme of this thread I would have to say that title belongs to my gran - but I certainly enjoyed it and made sure to note it down so I can make it again once I've experimented with a few other recipes.

Edit: Why the hell is P A P R I K A edited?

The letters P R I K i guess?

Made Chilli & Carrot soup last night...

My favourite is Haggis Broth

Diced Turnip

Diced Potato

Diced Carrott

Diced Onion or finely sliced leek

4 stock cubes

Haggis

I generally make this when making Haggis, neeps & tatties as you have all the stuff. The first day is a clear soup (akin to chicken & Rice soup) and by day 2 the oatmeal has softened and thickened the soup to make it creamier... 2 soups from 1

i love making soup, and i'm pretty decent at it apparently. i made a huge pot of veggie soup tonight, great for cold wintery nights like tonight

i really fancy trying this haggis broth though. sounds great, and i expect a dollop of butter and copious amounts of pepper would be the trick to this one?

sounds terrific though!

What is it with all this men cooking stuff? :rolleyes:

First meal my wife coked for me I took appendicitis which nearly turned into peretonitis. I've cooked for myself ever since

Self preservation Society:sad:

My favourite soups are brocoli and stilton (onion, brocoli, stock, pepper simmer, liquidise, add some cream, then break in some stilton) and carrot and red pepper (onion, carrot, red pepper, stock, pepper, simmer, liquidise, cream)

Both really simple but very tasty

Archived