Yesterdays formation

Colonel Kurtz

Colonel Kurtz

Well done to Shabba.

We played 4 3 3 yesterday.

Both Driver and kingston were told to stay up and to push onto the fullbacks.

Shabba matched Hibs formation and also pushed our back four up.

Scott Booth kept on about Hibs attacking formation but ours was much the same.

Both sides played attacking formations which led to a very open match.

This Hearts formation was very unrussian ,tells you a lot?

Yeah pretty much the same.Just because you don't play with 3 strikers does not mean it can't be 433.Difference for me was how much better our middle 3 were.Aguiar deserves all his praise but i also thought Karpidis was very good as well and looks much more comfortable in a 3.That formtion with a real striker could be deadly as for me Nade just aint got.Yeah he holds the ball up well but he just seems too slow in the mind to react to things quickly enough and seems to dither on the ball when he should bomb on with it ala Driver.

Well done to Shabba.

I wondered whether as part of E&Ys involvement one of the things they would be insisting upon is that the important positions within the club were uncompromised - with no interference.

The team selection, the tactics, and the lack of unnecessary subs (although we did tire a little before getting a really good second win) made me just wonder a little...

Was Botchup even there? Because if we are getting rid of unecessary costs he should be first on the list to go.

Well done to Shabba.

I saw it more as a 4-5-1.

But applied correctly, with the wingers in full support when going forward, but also coming back to defend.

We started moves in our own half and used possession and an extra man to carve out our chances.

Its how a 4-5-1 should operate, with 5 men in midfield when in defense, turning that into a 4-3-3 in attack.

It can be a decent attacking formation, but gives good stability.

I saw it more as a 4-5-1.

But applied correctly, with the wingers in full support when going forward, but also coming back to defend.

We started moves in our own half and used possession and an extra man to carve out our chances.

Its how a 4-5-1 should operate, with 5 men in midfield when in defense, turning that into a 4-3-3 in attack.

It can be a decent attacking formation, but gives good stability.

It's a formation that always seems to work well against Hibs.

Jam Tarts 1874
I wondered whether as part of E&Ys involvement one of the things they would be insisting upon is that the important positions within the club were uncompromised - with no interference.

The team selection, the tactics, and the lack of unnecessary subs (although we did tire a little before getting a really good second win) made me just wonder a little...

Was Botchup even there? Because if we are getting rid of unecessary costs he should be first on the list to go.

Wonder about what? To even think that Ernst & Young are at Tynecastle having anything to do with matters on the pitch is crazy, what a stupid suggestion!

Anyone with half a brain cell can see that the changes came about due to key players being fit enough to return - end of!

Yes, he was there.

On the OP, I'm not sure I saw anything like a 4-3-3 in operation, to be honest, but there's no doubt that Driver's pace and directness made a big difference to our side, both for his own contribution and for the relief it gives to Lee Wallace behind him.

And for all I've been underwhelmed with Bruno in the past, I was eating my words yesterday. He was magnificent, all the more so given his long lay-off.

Wonder about what? To even think that Ernst & Young are at Tynecastle having anything to do with matters on the pitch is crazy, what a stupid suggestion!

Anyone with half a brain cell can see that the changes came about due to key players being fit enough to return - end of!

If there are auditors in to save the club from going belly up, one thing they are likely to insist upon are that the management positions are run without compromise - to maximise the performance of the club.

4 years ago you'd no doubt have raged at me "To even think that the main shareholder has anything to do with matters on the pitch is crazy, get a brain cell"

Anyway, chill out. This is a positive thread about positive issues arising from the game yesterday.

No need to take it down a negative path

Colonel Kurtz
Yes, he was there.

On the OP, I'm not sure I saw anything like a 4-3-3 in operation, to be honest, but there's no doubt that Driver's pace and directness made a big difference to our side, both for his own contribution and for the relief it gives to Lee Wallace behind him.

And for all I've been underwhelmed with Bruno in the past, I was eating my words yesterday. He was magnificent, all the more so given his long lay-off.

Our back 4 pushed up yesterday ,when in the past this season they were about 10 yards furthur back.

We had confidence our back 4 all had the pace to cope

Driver was told to push up ,and Larry doesnt track back anyway.

The last time we played 4 3 3 was Coulquhoun,Clark and Robbo days.

Believe me we did not play Russian/Bulgarian 4 5 1 yesterday

Anyone there early enough to see the warm up would know 10 minutes was geared towards driver and kingston whipping in crosses with Jonsson and wallace trying to overlap them.Gave a good insight in to how we were intending to play.

Anyone there early enough to see the warm up would know 10 minutes was geared towards driver and kingston whipping in crosses with Jonsson and wallace trying to overlap them.Gave a good insight in to how we were intending to play.

That has been the warm up all season. I have yet to see more than a couple of 'goals' from it despite there being no defenders/goalkeeper in opposition!

Can you explain to somebody with less than one brain cell what you put this down to?

Our back 4 pushed up yesterday ,when in the past this season they were about 10 yards furthur back.

We had confidence our back 4 all had the pace to cope

Driver was told to push up ,and Larry doesnt track back anyway.

The last time we played 4 3 3 was Coulquhoun,Clark and Robbo days.

Good news.

If Csaba lasts the week and gets to do it again against Aberdeen and Celtic, it might even be great news... :)

brellierlegend
That has been the warm up all season. I have yet to see more than a couple of 'goals' from it despite there being no defenders/goalkeeper in opposition!

Agreed. The drill was like watching a poor under 15 boys club team! It worried me.

Anybody staying to watch the game would know the warm-up rarely bears any resemblance to what happens during the 90 minutes. :P

Good news.

If Csaba lasts the week and gets to do it again against Aberdeen and Celtic, it might even be great news... :)

There in lies the rub.

I really cannot see the mad tw@t putting up with shabba picking his own team. Sad I know but historically all to common an occurrence over the last 3 seasons.

Expect to see some major changes against the sheep

Colonel Kurtz
There in lies the rub.

I really cannot see the mad tw@t putting up with shabba picking his own team. Sad I know but historically all to common an occurrence over the last 3 seasons.

or the same team barring injury

Colonel Kurtz
OK, but why no committee?

Did Csaba ignore them, has he insisted on being "set free", do they now trust him?

Dont know the whys,just happy it happened.

We will lose goals with yesterdays formantion but will also score a few.

Geoff Kilpatrick
There in lies the rub.

We haven't had major changes in team selection all season! Wallace, Berra, Karipidis, Kingston and Stewart have been ever presents for starters plus Mole has appeared in every game as well.

Mmmmm... seems to me it's a case of when we play well supporters will say that the formation is 4-3-3 and picked by Csaba. When we play badly it's 4-5-1 and picked by Romanov.

I saw it as 4-1-3-1. It was my first game of the season but that looked exactly as I imagined having heard we had played this all season.

There are two issues with this formation.

1. How do we accommodate other players? For example, Tullberg. This formation is good for a team lacking in attacking options, however, do we choose to sacrifice midfield dominance for attacking options?

I guess it horses for courses, and where the gaffer earns his money.

2. We have not learnt that with a limited forward option, and a lazy one at that, we are often without any strikers in the box to aim for. Wingers getting to the by-line is fine if there are players in the box piling on the pressure to score. But with only Nade, and him being on the edge of the area....thats not the best.

Latterly in the game we were better at cutting back the ball, but we need to be better at this, as we are more likely to score from a late run from midfield with this, than aiming for a lone striker, marked by 2-3 men.

I saw it as 4-1-3-1. It was my first game of the season but that looked exactly as I imagined having heard we had played this all season.

No we defo had 11 men on the pitch....;)

Dont know the whys,just happy it happened.

We will lose goals with yesterdays formantion but will also score a few.

One other thing I noticed was that (probably because of higher backline) we were often first to collect loose balls from Hobo clearances out of defence.

Geoff Kilpatrick
One other thing I noticed was that (probably because of higher backline) we were often first to collect loose balls from Hobo clearances out of defence.

It has also helped that they have replaced a player who could pass the ball (Beuzelin) with an utter Jarkko Wiss type (Thicot).

The People's Chimp
Well done to Shabba.

It was absolutely the right formation and one we should employ against aberdeen. We did keep a very high back line, but one of our problems this season has been the defence sitting too deep.

Archived