Waffles/80s fash

heartgarfunkel

heartgarfunkel

Come on then, who wore those breeks with the 'waffle' pattern? Sometimes sported in combo with the shoes with the elasticated back, Y cardigans and the jaikets with the 'roll-over' collar - blue and grey was the favoured choice of bammer in mid 80s Porty High School.

Bought mine fi Cowan Tailoring - one of many sartorial low-points, Mod-revivalist excepting from the 80s;)

Craig Gordons Gloves
Come on then, who wore those breeks with the 'waffle' pattern? Sometimes sported in combo with the shoes with the elasticated back, Y cardigans and the jaikets with the 'roll-over' collar - blue and grey was the favoured choice of bammer in mid 80s Porty High School.

Bought mine fi Cowan Tailoring - one of many sartorial low-points, Mod-revivalist excepting from the 80s;)

scaff :)

i do remember the waffle breeks, but not elasticated shoes! Y cardies were of course the coolest thing ever for a short period of time - but then came checked jeans.....

heartgarfunkel
scaff :)

i do remember the waffle breeks, but not elasticated shoes! Y cardies were of course the coolest thing ever for a short period of time - but then came checked jeans.....

The shoes had a sort of collapsible back due to the achilles-heal slicing elastic, and I wish I could mind what they were called - in my defence I always wore Pods or Kickers!

winston churchill

just had a flash back......... re the shoes.

i was giving it large...... in a blue pair and white slacks (corfu 1984:)

eddie fenwick

yup,i was that soldier,cool or what wi leg warmers

heartgarfunkel
just had a flash back......... re the shoes.

i was giving it large...... in a blue pair and white slacks (corfu 1984:)

I'm hoping the white terry-toweling sockswere dispensed wi in Corfu Jerry;)

heartgarfunkel
yup,i was that soldier,cool or what wi leg warmers

the burdz loved the leg warmers on a guy Eddie, lol, was never brave enough:p

winston churchill
I'm hoping the white terry-toweling sockswere dispensed wi in Corfu Jerry;)

nae socks back then mate.

i am sure i had a snake belt hudding up the slacks tho.

Had the waffles ,had the y cardy not the jacket though , i had a maroon pilot jacket. As for the shoes (coasters) i remember standing in the shed when hearts scored against aberdeen and got caught in the 'sway' and carried half way down the shed but my coaster fell off and i had to get down on my hands and knees and fight my way back up the shed through the sway to get my shoe back. I never wore coasters to tynie again, happy days:)

heartgarfunkel

Coasters! There was also a mutant shoe wi tassles etc - not a proper loafer. Mind you there were others - laces up the side

Tie pins:eek: sometimes wi chains as well:)

Coasters! There was also a mutant shoe wi tassles etc - not a proper loafer. Mind you there were others - laces up the side

yeh mind these bad boys as well , never had a pair though so cant mind what they were called.

winston churchill

shirts from NEXT ......... with a bolt through the collar:)

Coasters, waffles and Y cardigans, Then farah trousers, kickers, benneton tops, le shark (Cheapo le cost) chunky knit jumpers (Bright coloured :eek: ) nike air max, burberry scarfs (Whci are still worn today :eek: ) Pod sandels.

Oh dear.......IM sure hobos still wear most of these

:107years::107years::107years::107years::107years::107years:

Coasters, waffles and Y cardigans, Then farah trousers, kickers, benneton tops, le shark (Cheapo le cost) chunky knit jumpers (Bright coloured :eek: ) nike air max, burberry scarfs (Whci are still worn today :eek: ) Pod sandels.

Oh dear.......IM sure hobos still wear most of these

:107years::107years::107years::107years::107years::107years:

Cringe!

Craig Gordons Gloves
The shoes had a sort of collapsible back due to the achilles-heal slicing elastic, and I wish I could mind what they were called - in my defence I always wore Pods or Kickers!

i remember my first pair of kickers boots - quality!

Ah -the good old days.... as someone else said - the hobos are probably still wearing the waffles, seeing as how they are high fashion football fans....now, where is that picture of the lochend vice :)

Was that Cowans Tailors on South Bridge, just across from Chambers Street, formerly known as Cowans American Mens Wear.

Charlie-Brown

The waffle trousers were a sta-press variation from their plain ones, as I recall they came in black, dark grey, light grey, maroon, navy and a funny light blue colour, these would be from the early eighties and would probably have been worn with fred perry tennis shirt and nylon pilot jacket or maybe one of those checked jackets with furry collar (as can be seen worn by Rodney in Fools & Horses).

heartgarfunkel
Was that Cowans Tailors on South Bridge, just across from Chambers Street, formerly known as Cowans American Mens Wear.

The very one Bob - they may have had a shop at the bottom end of Llothian Road too...

heartgarfunkel

Mods, I've just noiced that I've started this thread on the Terrace, like a proper doofus - apologies, and could you please move to The Shed.

Thanks

i remember my first pair of kickers boots - quality!

Had bright red kicker shoes:)

The waffle trousers were a sta-press variation from their plain ones, as I recall they came in black, dark grey, light grey, maroon, navy and a funny light blue colour, these would be from the early eighties and would probably have been worn with fred perry tennis shirt and nylon pilot jacket or maybe one of those checked jackets with furry collar (as can be seen worn by Rodney in Fools & Horses).

Bomber jackets ,you could pick them up at ingliston market:)

winston churchill
The very one Bob - they may have had a shop at the bottom end of Llothian Road too...

they did mate:)

i went there as a teenager early 80's

then it was smiths for men for me.they had a shop in the high-street and one for us leefers on leef walk.

they did mate:)

i went there as a teenager early 80's

then it was smiths for men for me.they had a shop in the high-street and one for us leefers on leef walk.

As well as the Hunter Square shop, i can also remember them having another one on either the corner of Infirmary Street or Drummond Street.

winston churchill
As well as the Hunter Square shop, i can also remember them having another one on either the corner of Infirmary Street or Drummond Street.

that's the one i ment mate................i loved the bit up stairs:)

Jeezo! All these clothes take me back to school days! Am cringing at the thought of them! Imagine gettin a beamer reading posts! It was around 1983 i think

that's the one i ment mate................i loved the bit up stairs:)

Proper Crombie overcoats upstairs, if i remember.

The other one was all Tom Tailor and Nigel Cabourn etc.

winston churchill
Proper Crombie overcoats upstairs, if i remember.

The other one was all Tom Tailor and Nigel Cabourn etc.

i loved swaning around the rutland in my smiths suit:cool:

i loved swaning around the rutland in my smiths suit:cool:

Ha, i can also remember when the slutland was the bar on a weekend.

George Street still had banks in those days.

winston churchill
Ha, i can also remember when the slutland was the bar on a weekend.

George Street still had banks in those days.

correct mate

did you also do the pull and push...........sorry i ment the bull and bush:)

correct mate

did you also do the pull and push...........sorry i ment the bull and bush:)

I was never one for the wild west end.

After a mate got his boat sliced open, i thought there was easier places to nip burds without having to keep one eye on their double or quits and the other on ****ed up, schemie, knife merchants.

That all takes me back a bit, that shop opened just after the war when all things American were deemed to be the best. I bought what was described as a Pacific blue, sharkskin material suit there in 1951. It was worn with a cream shirt blue tie, and brown thick soled crepe shoes. The pants were 16'' bottoms and the jacket well past my erse.

Worn with sun glasses on an Edinburgh, winter Sunday afternoon in Princes Street, and accompanied by the fashionable, we are ra boys slouching walk, this vision was spotted by my parents from a tram car.

Mother: Would you look at that three sights.

Father: Aye its great what you see when you havenae a gun.

Mother: I wonder what their parents are thinking.

Father: If ye really wantae ken, ask me its your son and his pals.

Is someone going to back this thread up with some photies?!

Here's what I was wearing in the 80s..

Petite%20dolls%20clothes%20babygro%201208.jpg

:D

heartgarfunkel
Is someone going to back this thread up with some photies?!

Here's what I was wearing in the 80s..

Petite%20dolls%20clothes%20babygro%201208.jpg

:D

You young git!;) We do need some photaes though!

I bought a pair of black kicker boots not long ago, I wasn't brave enough to get a red pair as I had in the 80's. I also have a thin leather 'piano' tie somewhere in my wardrobe.

I cut a dash in a sports jacket, thin leather tie, bar through the shirt collar (with chain) and black patent leather side lace up winkle pickers, so pointy you had to stuff the toes with cotton wool to stop them collapsing in. I never had waffle trousers, farah sta-press yes, but I managed to avoid the waffle.

I had a lace tie with a skull motif at one time too, Coburn Street used to be cool.

I'm not even going to start on the hairstyles I modelled, but I will confess to once wearing a brooch of my Mums to a school disco, pinned to my shirt over the top button (done up) in the place where the knot of a tie would go.

I never had a problem getting a girlfriend either!

Weird...

...I'm not even going to start on the hairstyles I modelled, but I will confess to once wearing a brooch of my Mums to a school disco, pinned to my shirt over the top button (done up) in the place where the knot of a tie would go...

Was it a paisley pattern shirt?

Brian Whittaker's Tache
but I will confess to once wearing a brooch of my Mums to a school disco, pinned to my shirt over the top button (done up) in the place where the knot of a tie would go.

I never had a problem getting a girlfriend either!

Weird...

hahahaha I used to wear my ma's brouch the same way with a paisley pattern shirt for nights out in Broxburn!!

Suspect Device

did you ever try running in one of them ?

the huge buckles nearly took your teeth out :eek:

Was it a paisley pattern shirt?

I never had a paisley shirt, my mate Brian did though.

I had (and probably still have) a vast collection of paisley ties however. They were mostly worn with a white shirt and chinos, but that was late 80s, a far less embarrassing time in a fashion sense than the early/mid 80s.

Commander Harris
I bought a pair of black kicker boots not long ago, I wasn't brave enough to get a red pair as I had in the 80's. ...

I know you're brave enough to wear bright red footwear! :D

Archived