David Smith scores for Scotland!

Bigsmak

Watching the kids football on Sky Sports 1

Young Hearts boy David Smith scored an absolute peach to put Scotland 1-0 up...

Get him in the team for Sat!?

The wee right winger from Hearts Ross Walker looks decent too. Some strike from the boy smith.

Is he ours as well. Wow... reminds me of Driver a lot but actually looks like he might have a finish on him...

Maybe this academy will pay off after all!

Watching the kids football on Sky Sports 1

Young Hearts boy David Smith scored an absolute peach to put Scotland 1-0 up...

Get him in the team for Sat!?

Sigh...if only that was written 35 years ago :D

Under 16s - Victory Shield - Wales

Look like a good little team. Few Jambos in it... ...

Walker keeps on impressing!

winston churchill

he took a dull one just on half time.

jamboinglasgow

are you sure its not Jamie Walker, heard alot of good things about him, should be a great player. Is the goalie Robert Thomson or Shaun Thomson, if it is shaun that is also our player.

But I agree this is showing what a great thing our academy is, I can see each year bringing in better players than the previous.

But I agree this is showing what a great thing our academy is, I can see each year bringing in better players than the previous.

The other good thing about a game like this is that there are a few "unsigned" boys in the squad. I am sure the Hearts boys will be telling them how good the Academy is and it might get them along as well!

Provan (at least it sounds like him) - "I've seen penalties given for that"

What? You have seen penalties given when a goalkeeper fouls a striker? Jeezo man.

jamboinglasgow
The other good thing about a game like this is that there are a few "unsigned" boys in the squad. I am sure the Hearts boys will be telling them how good the Academy is and it might get them along as well!

that always helps. I still mantain that we can be succesful with an academy as using the best scouts and coaches and coaching methods to bring kids through from lowest level to first team mean that we have great quality players. With some players bought into the club at senior level who provide experence, and the talented youngsters come in. A conveyor belt of talent means that some players can be sold for a profit and then other talented players come in to replace the ones gone.

Also just released there at least 10 teams at hearts, U10s, U11s, U12s, U13s, U14s, U15s, U17s, U19s, Reserves and finally and most importantly the team that they all aim to make, The First team. That is roughly say 15 players per team up to 19s, so 120 youngsters in hearts youth teams (though more likely more than that) shows the scale of the amount of players we have who could make it.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
that always helps. I still mantain that we can be succesful with an academy as using the best scouts and coaches and coaching methods to bring kids through from lowest level to first team mean that we have great quality players. With some players bought into the club at senior level who provide experence, and the talented youngsters come in. A conveyor belt of talent means that some players can be sold for a profit and then other talented players come in to replace the ones gone.

Also just released there at least 10 teams at hearts, U10s, U11s, U12s, U13s, U14s, U15s, U17s, U19s, Reserves and finally and most importantly the team that they all aim to make, The First team. That is roughly say 15 players per team up to 19s, so 120 youngsters in hearts youth teams (though more likely more than that) shows the scale of the amount of players we have who could make it.

You really need a top quality environment and coaches for this to work.

Do you think we have the right set up in place?

Elliot, Wallace, Mole, Simmons, Weir, McMullan would probably say no.

It's a nice, romantic idea though.

jamboinglasgow

I didn't say we had fully achieved that yet but the thing is from what I have been hearing, Csaba is changing things to achieve this. Not all promising players will achieve their potential, alot of the players you quoted have had problems with attitude and that can be due to Hearts but it can be due to the players themselves.

It may seem romantic but that doesn't mean things are not changing, Csaba was brought in to change things to get the system working.

jamboinglasgow
I think Davids little brother is also a signed Hearts player.............Under 11s I think.

thats good, there are alot of brothers in Hearts, and if they develop the right talent then it can be great.

I didn't say we had fully achieved that yet but the thing is from what I have been hearing, Csaba is changing things to achieve this. Not all promising players will achieve their potential, alot of the players you quoted have had problems with attitude and that can be due to Hearts but it can be due to the players themselves.

It may seem romantic but that doesn't mean things are not changing, Csaba was brought in to change things to get the system working.

Care to elaborate?

The 'romantic' comment wasn't a dig BTW! I fully agree with the sentiments, I just can't see Hearts achieving it in the current climate.

jamboinglasgow

Just certain points that certain posters who I wont divalge, have told me that Csaba is changing alot behind the scenes and that at the moment it is quite chaotic will this is happening but it is getting better. I unfortunatly haven't been told specifics but even stuff that everyone knows can show he is changing things. Making the reserve team more a U23 team (only 2 of the 16 players playing in the reserves on Tuesday were over 21.) Also Csaba has said that youth teams were concentrating too much on fitness and not enough on ball skills. He is changing things and for me that is why I wont be calling for his head until at least the end of season if things dont improve behind the scenes.

I can understand why you cant see this being achieved in the current climate. Stabilty is needed for players to develop, but I think Vlad does see Csaba as a man who can achieve this and will be given the chance to change things. As long as descisions are done with the best interests of the team, than I can see it happen, but I still think it will take another season or two before it is fully up and running.

Charlie-Brown

You could probably add Hammil, Janczyk, Sloan, Callaghan, Sives & others to that list.....however the long-standing 'problem' as I see it is NOT a problem with the youth coaching system at the Academy...the youth system has brought so many players through to first team squad level that kids are able to push for some game time.....the real PROBLEM as I see it is not the youth system it is the coaching/management the young players receive once they reach first team level ie how well do our managers/head coaches/first team coaches handle our young prospects once they get to first team level/squad fringes.....we fail to progress players to full potential rather than fail to produce them in the first place....Jefferies was the last manager who nurtured many of our young players...Johnston, Ritchie, Naysmith, Severin & others.

You could probably add Hammil, Janczyk, Sloan, Callaghan, Sives & others to that list.....however the long-standing 'problem' as I see it is NOT a problem with the youth coaching system at the Academy...the youth system has brought so many players through to first team squad level that kids are able to push for some game time.....the real PROBLEM as I see it is not the youth system it is the coaching/management the young players receive once they reach first team level ie how well do our managers/head coaches/first team coaches handle our young prospects once they get to first team level/squad fringes.....we fail to progress players to full potential rather than fail to produce them in the first place....Jefferies was the last manager who nurtured many of our young players...Johnston, Ritchie, Naysmith, Severin & others.

That could certainly be the case and I see where you are coming from, however, is it really a case of all the managers since Jefferies being poor at managing youth or is it something to do with the youth set up and how they are being prepared for the big time?

Look at Hibs - All the young players seem to have a certain arrogance about them but in a GOOD way and they geniunely believe they can match and beat the more experienced players.

Our youngsters look terrified when they make the first team or they think they have made it after one good performance.

I think I am being a bit harsh on Mole though, he should never ever have been involved in that Athens game. That really was a massive error. Whoever was responsible should be sacked. (Romanov)

Jefferies was certainly exceptional at bringing youngsters through but I refuse to believe it's all down to the managers (especially Levein who has managed to progress Danny Swansons career at United)

Charlie-Brown
That could certainly be the case and I see where you are coming from, however, is it really a case of all the managers since Jefferies being poor at managing youth or is it something to do with the youth set up and how they are being prepared for the big time?

Look at Hibs - All the young players seem to have a certain arrogance about them but in a GOOD way and they geniunely believe they can match and beat the more experienced players.

Our youngsters look terrified when they make the first team or they think they have made it after one good performance.

I think I am being a bit harsh on Mole though, he should never ever have been involved in that Athens game. That really was a massive error. Whoever was responsible should be sacked. (Romanov)

Jefferies was certainly exceptional at bringing youngsters through but I refuse to believe it's all down to the managers (especially Levein who has managed to progress Danny Swansons career at United)

Levein also did great with Gordon & Webster who admittedly were very good or excellent young prospects but he did less well with some of the others Simmons & Janzyck in particular were two particularly talent young players....part of their failure was clearly their own doing but also I don't think they were nurtured correctly in their formative years in the first team.

Whether Jefferies was actually any better or simply had to rely on the younger players more when he was building his team hence they got more game time is another angle on it although he's also progressed some good youngsters at Killie since he's been there.

I always thought that Grant Murray & Roddy McKenzie got a bit of a raw deal at Hearts...not in the sense am I saying they were good enough to deserve a starting place every week cos they didn't but they were solid enough defensive & goalkeeping cover and would have got some games as squad players yet we chased them out the door and have since been paying a lot of other players a lot more money to do no better a job than they did.......

I don't think our youth coaching is any worse than anybody else - as to why the Hobbits youngsters have a perceived swagger whilst our have an apparent fear factor maybe how players have been treated at tynecastle / fester by the fans over the years has a lot to do with that .... for as long as I can remember youngsters in the Hearts team have either been heroes or villains, the best or the worst since slice bread etc.

portobellojambo1

I think sometimes part of the problem (not unique to Hearts, but across the board) is that clubs let youngsters express themselves in their football, and then once they progress to senior level they take away some of that expression and try and programme them to play in a certain manner. To me football is football, and if someone has natural talent you should not try and coach that out of them, but encourage them to actually use it and develop that for the benefit of the first team.

Levein also did great with Gordon & Webster who admittedly were very good or excellent young prospects but he did less well with some of the others Simmons & Janzyck in particular were two particularly talent young players....part of their failure was clearly their own doing but also I don't think they were nurtured correctly in their formative years in the first team.

Whether Jefferies was actually any better or simply had to rely on the younger players more when he was building his team hence they got more game time is another angle on it although he's also progressed some good youngsters at Killie since he's been there.

I always thought that Grant Murray & Roddy McKenzie got a bit of a raw deal at Hearts...not in the sense am I saying they were good enough to deserve a starting place every week cos they didn't but they were solid enough defensive & goalkeeping cover and would have got some games as squad players yet we chased them out the door and have since been paying a lot of other players a lot more money to do no better a job than they did.......

I don't think our youth coaching is any worse than anybody else - as to why the Hobbits youngsters have a perceived swagger whilst our have an apparent fear factor maybe how players have been treated at tynecastle / fester by the fans over the years has a lot to do with that .... for as long as I can remember youngsters in the Hearts team have either been heroes or villains, the best or the worst since slice bread etc.

I knew you would say that as soon as I typed it. :)

I can't remember Janckz (spelling!) or McMullan or even Weir for that matter getting dogs abuse at Tynecastle.

It's easy to blame anyone but the club.

Charlie-Brown
I knew you would say that as soon as I typed it. :)

I can't remember Janckz (spelling!) or McMullan or even Weir for that matter getting dogs abuse at Tynecastle.

It's easy to blame anyone but the club.

These players played under Levein & Robbo..G.Weir played very briefly under Burley....what do you think the youth coaches at the Academy did wrong with these players? When they appeared in the first team do you think they had less or more talent than other young players who had/have played? I thought they all looked very decent youngsters when they appeared in the team, part of their failure to progress was their own doing...part of their failure was their managers didn't nurture them enough in my opinion.

Looking at them individually....

McMullan had a really good introduction to the first team, had some terrific games or appearances then his form took a severe dip kinda like Lee Wallace has in recent times....like Wallace I don't think his basic ability was ever in question, maybe his attitude and consistency levels were but both Wallace & McMullan were good football players especially compared to somebody as extremely limited as Neilson who also came through the ranks who has a great attitude towards workrate but very limited skills....

Janczyk (spelling?) is the real mystery for me - he showed tremendous match winning skill and ability in a few games especially against Hibs at fester once or twice but Levein often over-looked him for wage-thief Phil Stamp or seemed determined to clip the kids wings .... maybe he was over-cocky or confident but that being the case he required stronger management...didn't get enough game time when he really needed it and his career has since slumped.

Graeme Weir was an average joe...not the best, not the worst.....

I think sometimes part of the problem (not unique to Hearts, but across the board) is that clubs let youngsters express themselves in their football, and then once they progress to senior level they take away some of that expression and try and programme them to play in a certain manner. To me football is football, and if someone has natural talent you should not try and coach that out of them, but encourage them to actually use it and develop that for the benefit of the first team.

This seems to happen at Hearts when they hit the u17's/19's, from what i have seen on the park (last season)it is all about work work work with hardly any play play play.

I think Sandy Clark had a lot to do with bringing some of these youngsters through.

I would like to see Sandy in charge at the Academy.

• 4 weeks later...
Walker needs to get rid of the Hoboish bleached pony tail though!!!!!

your right about the pony tail jamies my son and we r hearts daft should cut it of when hes sleeping lol

• 1 month later...
your right about the pony tail jamies my son and we r hearts daft should cut it of when hes sleeping lol

A big JKB welcome to both you and dshearts. :xmasgrin:

jamboinglasgow
I am his little brother to...and Iam u11s

can I also say welcome to you both. You must feel so proud to have a brother or son doing so well at hearts at the moment, especially when they are highly rated.

Heard good things about them both and I hope they continue their great progress.

dshearts, are you saying you are in the Hearts U11s? If you are, good luck at hearts and your development.

• 3 weeks later...

thankyou for your warm welcome.it was a friend who directed me to this board,and when my youngest son read the comments about david he just wanted to add something.he is in the under 11s who play seven a side at present.david has been at hearts since that age and I can honestly say the set up they have at hearts is second to none in scotland.so fingers crossed for many more years to come.

thankyou for your warm welcome.it was a friend who directed me to this board,and when my youngest son read the comments about david he just wanted to add something.he is in the under 11s who play seven a side at present.david has been at hearts since that age and I can honestly say the set up they have at hearts is second to none in scotland.so fingers crossed for many more years to come.

Good to hear some positive news about the club,and based on experience too. Welcome!

Charlie-Brown

David was unlucky not to get more time on the pitch for Scotland in the games v Ireland & England however he looked very promising when he was on the pitch as did fellow Hearts kid Jamie Walker - hopefully both kids will progress to through the ranks to professional level and from what I saw both have every chance. :)

Just certain points that certain posters who I wont divalge, have told me that Csaba is changing alot behind the scenes and that at the moment it is quite chaotic will this is happening but it is getting better. I unfortunatly haven't been told specifics but even stuff that everyone knows can show he is changing things. Making the reserve team more a U23 team (only 2 of the 16 players playing in the reserves on Tuesday were over 21.) Also Csaba has said that youth teams were concentrating too much on fitness and not enough on ball skills. He is changing things and for me that is why I wont be calling for his head until at least the end of season if things dont improve behind the scenes.

I can understand why you cant see this being achieved in the current climate. Stabilty is needed for players to develop, but I think Vlad does see Csaba as a man who can achieve this and will be given the chance to change things. As long as descisions are done with the best interests of the team, than I can see it happen, but I still think it will take another season or two before it is fully up and running.

Always been the Scottish way - Personally I?ve always thought fitness ought to be the test of a sportsman?s dedication rather than the primary focus...In fact some of our first team players should perhaps run a bit less and improve their crossing and dead balls

jamboinglasgow

Good to hear that both your sons are in Hearts ranks and hopefully progressing towards their potential. I agree that Hearts have a great set up and pleased to have this confirmed by someone who has been in it, I do think Hearts have the best set-up in Scotland. Was speaking to my cousin a few days ago who is a rangers fan and got talking about Murray park which he made the good point that what has actully come out of it? Very little even the players who dont make it and are let off are not noticable. Hearts I think is alot better. Best of luck to your two sons and tell them I hope to chant their names from the stands in a few years time after the put the goal in the net against hibs.

Always been the Scottish way - Personally I?ve always thought fitness ought to be the test of a sportsman?s dedication rather than the primary focus...In fact some of our first team players should perhaps run a bit less and improve their crossing and dead balls

I agree it has always been the Scottish way as the game is played "at a thousand miles an hour." The English game is even faster. I agree with what you say though, fitness should not be the main concentration as a footballer should already be fit, and a club should organise fitness sessions, but technique should always be primary concern. Its no surprise when a player comes from a country like Portugal, Spain or such and have much better ball skills then people here that it looks embaressing. If we taught passing better so that players could pick out passes to players in different styles i.e. long or direct short. I do think Csaba knows the correct way to change this and the full effect may not be known for a few seasons but it will come.

Janczyk (spelling?) is the real mystery for me - he showed tremendous match winning skill and ability in a few games especially against Hibs at fester once or twice but Levein often over-looked him for wage-thief Phil Stamp or seemed determined to clip the kids wings .... maybe he was over-cocky or confident but that being the case he required stronger management...didn't get enough game time when he really needed it and his career has since slumped.

This laddie had an amazing left peg. Bags of skill. However, he had a strong like of the bevvie culminating in a conviction for drink driving. Thats what killed him off. Real Shame.

Archived