Root canal filling, anyone had one?

Walter Bishop

Walter Bishop

Was at the dentist today for a bog standard filling only to be told ive to come back in two weeks for an hour appointment and a root canal filling!!!!! All for the pricely sum of ?97!!!!! :eek::eek:

Anyone had this done before?

Was at the dentist today for a bog standard filling only to be told ive to come back in two weeks for an hour appointment and a root canal filling!!!!! All for the pricely sum of ?97!!!!! :eek::eek:

Im getting that done next month mate. Never had it but been told its brutal:( tempted to get the thing taken out instead!!

maroonlegions

me, a couple of years ago, talk about having a numb cheek:eek:, mines was done brilliantly , only felt the usual poking about but no pain, i think the secrect is in how much pain relief they give you , nothing to worry about mate.:)

Walter Bishop
me, a couple of years ago, talk about having a numb cheek:eek:, mines was done brilliantly , only felt the usual poking about but no pain, i think the secrect is in how much pain relief they give you , nothing to worry about mate.:)

Did you have to have a crown afterwards? Been scouring the net and many people mention having to go back for a crown at costs around ?300-400 !!!!:eek:

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Bottled out over a year ago after reading about it not being the most pleasant of experiences.

Hoping it rots and then will pull it.

?300 was the price for mine.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

I found it more uncomfortable than painful.

The grinding out sensation was annoying more than any thing else!!

But the dentist did a brilliant job and it has been no trouble at all since.

The real pain is the cost!!!

I had one done( not proud of it) and to say i experienced little discomfort is an understatement, the only bit i didnt like was when they remove the root, not painfull but a strange sensation.

The pain is akin to someone drilling a hole in your kneecap with a rusty spoon.

There's also a high chance of catching anything from tropical man-flu to ADHD, as recent studies show only 15 percent of Scottish dentists so much as rinse their tools under a luke warm tap after operating.

I trust this helps.

Never felt pain like it....honestly when I had it done last year it was horrific and I paid over 200 quid for the honour. I'm actually going back today to get the same tooth extracted as a year down the line it's started giving me grief again. I think it depends on how much infection you have in the roots of your tooth.

Unfortunately the ?97 will be the least of your worries! :eek:

I chickened out and chose to get knocked out with an anasthetic for mine (laughing gas) - never felt a thing, I was too smashed! - which was pretty good in itself! ;)

Darth Sidious

Last year I had an infected tooth which they sealed up and told me I needed root canal in a few weeks. 10 seconds in I told them to stop the pain was unbearable. I told them to yank it.

The tooth was too infected and the injections could not take care of the pain.

A few months later I got pain again in another tooth. Again they suggested root canal, I was extremely nervous for weeks and was all prepared to tell them to stop. But it just felt like a normal filling, I never felt a thing. They used a different drill which felt different but that was it. The relief that there was nothing to it was great and I still have my tooth instead of a gap or having to pay for a false one.

So I have had extreme pain and a pleasure (sort of). Not sure if that is any help. It did help that I spoke over my fears with the dentist.

I had one years ago. Didn't actually think it was that bad. Too many scare stories about i reckon.

Was just annoying IIRC.

I had it done a couple of years ago and it was slightly uncomfortable, nothing more.

If I compare it to the pain I was suffering before I had it done it was not even a tickle.

As it turned out I ended up having to get the tooth extracted about 18 months later and that was sore. The root canal was nothing.

I would suggest at least trying to save the tooth. I read somewhere that most dentists now don't even bother and just suggest ripping it out at the earliest opportunity.

Unfortunately the ?97 will be the least of your worries! :eek:

I chickened out and chose to get knocked out with an anasthetic for mine (laughing gas) - never felt a thing, I was too smashed! - which was pretty good in itself! ;)

What dentist do you go to?

I'm terrified of dentists, but if I could register with one who would knock me out I'd be happy to go to get checked out.

Had this done before, I didnt think it was that bad to be honest but then I dont really mind the dentist that much, if it's got to be done then there aint much you can do. Was a bit uncomfortable when they took the roots out but that's about it. Seemed to take ages though and i was more concerned about my mouth becoming the size of a clowns pocket with how long the dentsist had his hand wedged in my mouth.

The only time you'll ever have problems is if there is an abscess or infection under the tooth; it lessens the power of the an anesthetic. If you have an abscess, you get them to prescribe antibiotics to get rid of that first, then there should be no pain. Experienced this when I got dental implants - not nice. Neither was the price. 4 grand for 2 teeth.

Had this done before, I didnt think it was that bad to be honest but then I dont really mind the dentist that much, if it's got to be done then there aint much you can do. Was a bit uncomfortable when they took the roots out but that's about it. Seemed to take ages though and i was more concerned about my mouth becoming the size of a clowns pocket with how long the dentsist had his hand wedged in my mouth.

That wasn't his hand...

gay_sauna2.jpg

what a bunch of whinging pussies

i had it done earlier this year, only felt a little discomfort, and has already been mentioned, the length of time you have your jaw wedged open with the dentist working on it, is far from pleasant.

unfortunately the filling came out a couple of months later as the root had been fractured, so they pulled it.

The only time you'll ever have problems is if there is an abscess or infection under the tooth; it lessens the power of the an anesthetic. If you have an abscess, you get them to prescribe antibiotics to get rid of that first, then there should be no pain. Experienced this when I got dental implants - not nice. Neither was the price. 4 grand for 2 teeth.

i'm hoping to get this done actually, as soon as my house is sold. what was it like getting the implants? i've been offered the consultation but waiting til i have the cash to get it done

i'm hoping to get this done actually, as soon as my house is sold. what was it like getting the implants? i've been offered the consultation but waiting til i have the cash to get it done

I'll describe this somewhat graphically, but its not as bad as it sounds to be honest, it's just a bit of a lenghy process (well, it was for me). They remove the teeth if they need to, then drill into the bone to make room for the implant. This just feels like they are drilling a tooth actually, except there is a little more vibration because its harder. It is not sore at all after the anesthetic kicks in - it is substantially more powerful than the regular stuff. They might offer you a valium if your nervous about it. Then they pop in the implants and I had to wait for 6 months to let the bone fuse around the implant (so it doesnt fall out like this dodgy 1-day service you get done in Europe!). They'll match your teeth colour with the fake ones they will make up for you, and they look decent. Once thats done they attach the posts to the implants and then pop on the tooth, fixing it in place with a dental cement. Its strong and feels almost completely like a real tooth.

What I would say is go to the consulation and make sure you are 100% confident with the person that is going to do the procedure. The guy that I had put me completely at ease, and I was totally bricking it! Also make sure you get at least a 5 year guarantee!

Other than that, its totally fine. I'd say go for it, its no more painful that getting a filling - just takes a fair bit longer!

Weird that this crops up today - i'm also jsut back from the dentist.

I have two teeth needing treated - one worse than the other.

The worse of the two is getting taken out and the other is getting the root canal treatment. Cant say i'm lookin forward to it.

Had a tooth taken out earlier in the year and it was being pretty stubborn so it was very uncomfortable. The dentist also slipped while trying to pull it and knocked out half of the neighbouring tooth so that then needed a filling as well! Part of that filling fell of but it is stll covering a lot of the tooth however it is now pretty sensitive to cold water and I sometimes get small pains. Will probably need to get another trip to the dentist soon to get it checked out. Hoping he only needs to cover up the small part that cracked with more filling instead of drilling away at the existing one!

That wasn't his hand...

gay_sauna2.jpg

Lol,

At least he had a glove on I suppose!!!

That's what happens when you go to a dentist in tijuana.

:)

A 5 fingered kno8, well I never.....

Archived