Gregor Shore goes belly up.

Munch

So what now, a half finished building site in the middle of an industrial wasteland. With the waft of sewage in the air.

You can buy one for 300k + but you better be quick.:)

Who were they being built buy?

Because here is a building group called Gregor shore or is that what the development is called?

Who were they being built buy?

Because here is a building group called Gregor shore or is that what the development is called?

i think the company was called gregor shore, and they were the developer and the builder, well they used to be.

Interestingly the Administrator has said in tonights EEN That the flats will still be completed?

Due us money :(

We will be laying guys off due to the fall out.

Are you a sub contractor too gregor shore ?

So what now, a half finished building site in the middle of an industrial wasteland. With the waft of sewage in the air.

You can buy one for 300k + but you better be quick.:)

I will ask again, in the vain hope that you will at one stage attempt to answer. Which site are you referring to? Granton or Western Harbour?

IF it is Granton, I cannot comment as I have not been along there, however if it is Western Harbour, then they had two areas for building flats. One of those is, structure wise, finished. Any work needing done is internal and on an extremely small percentage of the flats. The second phase has not been started, it is a big square of grass inbetween three sets of flats that range between finished and 90% finished.

As for "industrial wasteland", I was out and about the other day there, walked past Platinum Point, past the Next Generation gym and the new development by Barratt (that itself looks about 50% finished) then up past the Brewers Fayre, the plot for the new build council flats that was discussed on the news last night and referred to as being in a better position due to the crunch, and the new 24hr Asda that is due to open in a few weeks time. That is understanding that I did not go past the new Italian restaurant and Loch Fyne.

So, you are either referring to Granton or you are simply wrong. Having said that, given you have not responded to my earlier questions, I would suggest it points towards the latter. ;)

Thats pretty interesting stuff.

Incidentally I know the daughters of one of the guys that owns half the company.

He has many fingers in many pies however so probably wont come out of this too badly, unlike everybody else.

Manis Gregor is a good guy, feel sorry for him with the business going tits up.

It will be interesting to see what will happen with the development just 'round the corner from myself at Ellersly Road.

The Mighty Thor

It will be interesting to see what will happen with the development just 'round the corner from myself at Ellersly Road.

He's a great guy. His former staff will receive no wages this month for the work they have done and no redundancy either.

In fact he's salt of the earth.

I will ask again, in the vain hope that you will at one stage attempt to answer. Which site are you referring to? Granton or Western Harbour?

IF it is Granton, I cannot comment as I have not been along there, however if it is Western Harbour, then they had two areas for building flats. One of those is, structure wise, finished. Any work needing done is internal and on an extremely small percentage of the flats. The second phase has not been started, it is a big square of grass inbetween three sets of flats that range between finished and 90% finished.

As for "industrial wasteland", I was out and about the other day there, walked past Platinum Point, past the Next Generation gym and the new development by Barratt (that itself looks about 50% finished) then up past the Brewers Fayre, the plot for the new build council flats that was discussed on the news last night and referred to as being in a better position due to the crunch, and the new 24hr Asda that is due to open in a few weeks time. That is understanding that I did not go past the new Italian restaurant and Loch Fyne.

So, you are either referring to Granton or you are simply wrong. Having said that, given you have not responded to my earlier questions, I would suggest it points towards the latter. ;)

Sorry for not responding sooner, the development that went belly up today is the gregor shore development at pltinum point, the first of the 3 big sites you come would have walked by on your walk.

The middle development is Western Harbour Midway, being built by Bryant homes, and used by Edinburgh apartments as holiday homes.

This is the development that you can buy them for 135k now, sold for 260 2 years ago.

He's a great guy. His former staff will receive no wages this month for the work they have done and no redundancy either.

In fact he's salt of the earth.

i got told he had a 100 million facility with HBOS That got hooked.I have never spoken to the guy but i have been in his company, Blow Bag, show off and, look at my big fancy car with my private plate rings to mind.

And going by who he hangs out with he has got to be a HOBO, as all his friends are.

I dont know the man personally so can't really comment on him, however I do know people who have been done out of considerable amounts of cash from one of the other Gregor group companies in the past couple of years so he strikes me as somebody who's spurs you can hear a rattling before you see him coming around the corner. :(

Manis Gregor will be fine.

As stated it looks as if it is just one part of the company has gone tits up.

They use a legal loophole and put all their sites etc in different buisness names meaning if one goes down it does not bring the rest with it (this is fairly common buisness practise in the building industry)

Are you talking about the Ellersly house hotel?

I think they might call a halt to it for now.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

i used to work for the man many moons ago when he built the flats behind pizza express on the shore

Tosser of the highest order!

Stitched me up on wages after I had an accident on site due to dodgy H&S practices.

i used to work for the man many moons ago when he built the flats behind pizza express on the shore

Tosser of the highest order!

Stitched me up on wages after I had an accident on site due to dodgy H&S practices.

Does not surprise me, big headed ****, I'm sure his exit strategy was well organized well in advance.:rolleyes:

Are you a sub contractor too gregor shore ?

Aye, work for a subby that does work for the Gregor group of companys.

Remember guys that it is real people with real familys and mortgages who will suffer through this, bad news for Edinburgh.

Remember guys that it is real people with real familys and mortgages who will suffer through this, bad news for Edinburgh.

you a joiner ?

I get really angry when ***** like this happens,the biggest(and sometimes only) losers will be the guys that have been doing the hard graft while the parasites that have been raking in the cash use loopeholes and dirty tricks to get away relatively unaffected.I had to take a fife company to court reacently and won the case,the to55er paid up some of what he owed me and then went "bankrupt" still owing me,one week later his company had started up again under a very slightly different name.:(

Sorry for not responding sooner, the development that went belly up today is the gregor shore development at pltinum point, the first of the 3 big sites you come would have walked by on your walk.

The middle development is Western Harbour Midway, being built by Bryant homes, and used by Edinburgh apartments as holiday homes.

This is the development that you can buy them for 135k now, sold for 260 2 years ago.

Thank you.

So, you are referring to Platinum Point as a half finished building site? I suppose, in a sense, you are half right. They have only started one of the two proposed developments, one finished (bar snagging) however "building site" is far from accurate.

As for industrial wasteland, that is also incorrect, for the reasons I stated above, out of interest, when was the last time you were down here?

Oh, and you cannot smell sewage, you get that odour along at Seafield, spookily, when you get close to the Seafield Sewage Works. ;)

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I was down at Platinum Point the other week dropping off some papers to a client.

While I would disagree with the "Industrial wasteland" description, it has "Future Ghetto" written all over it.

It reminds me very much of Docklands in London in the mid 90's, just acres of flats and f all else.

I dont think i'd be happy for my missus to be walking around there on her own at night (if I had a missus that is:sad:)

Thank you.

So, you are referring to Platinum Point as a half finished building site? I suppose, in a sense, you are half right. They have only started one of the two proposed developments, one finished (bar snagging) however "building site" is far from accurate.

As for industrial wasteland, that is also incorrect, for the reasons I stated above, out of interest, when was the last time you were down here?

Oh, and you cannot smell sewage, you get that odour along at Seafield, spookily, when you get close to the Seafield Sewage Works. ;)

I was there yesterday, all the press were there,and fair point it is not as bad as i thought, however there are dark clouds on the horison for the place.

If the council take it over and instal a few thousand people from there housing list, we are looking at the modern day Terror towers/Wester Hailes.

I was down at Platinum Point the other week dropping off some papers to a client.

While I would disagree with the "Industrial wasteland" description, it has "Future Ghetto" written all over it.

It reminds me very much of Docklands in London in the mid 90's, just acres of flats and f all else.

I dont think i'd be happy for my missus to be walking around there on her own at night (if I had a missus that is:sad:)

Funny you should say that. I was down the back of Easter Road a couple of nights ago picking up Mrs M from a friends' house in the new estate. The place is already beginning to look like a ghetto, about three years after being built!

No danger I was letting her walk to the bus stop on her own!

Indeed. How ironic at the timing of this all. JUst two weeks ago the council finally demolished some ghastly council flats that had been poorly built, poorly maintained and a blot on the landscape. They are hoping for a better quality of council housing in the future based on more homes rather than flats.

So what do they do 2 weeks later ? Decide that they want to buy lots of poorly built, poorly maintained high rise flats to turn into council housing...

As I have said for ages I really do reckon Edinburgh's golden period is done and dusted. I truly think our city will become a bit of a mess over the next few years. It will bounce back of course - however this may take some time.

It is hard to say how this area will look in the future, however it will take sometime before it hits the "ghetto" level IMO. The three sets of flats standing are all nice flats, as are the "Q" Barratt development flats that are about 50% done.

Any possible ghetto feel could be added when the "affordable" flats are built round the park the council are going to build, all of which will take some time to finalise.

As for the missus, having lived down this way for a year, we are yet to hear a raised word after dark never mind have anything that concerns me about her walking about at night. She works at the Hospital and I am more concerned about her at the part of the journey where she is in the centre of town at half eight on a Friday night than I am when she gets off the bus at the Next Generation gym.

Although on the other hand it's also real people with real families who will now be able to get homes without mortgaging themselves up to the eyeballs so it's not all bad.

Although on the other hand it's also real people with real families who will now be able to get homes without mortgaging themselves up to the eyeballs so it's not all bad.

Amen to that. :)

Do you think the public is finally waking up to the fact debt is bad ?

I think it is happening - slowly but surely.

Have a read about 'debt revulsion'. Something that many think this period will end up in. Our grandparents were from that school of thinking. Down to the War and it's effects I imagine. Rationing. Living within your means etc..

Maybe it is our turn now. Different cause. Similar result ?

Amen to that. :)

Do you think the public is finally waking up to the fact debt is bad ?

I think it is happening - slowly but surely.

Have a read about 'debt revulsion'. Something that many think this period will end up in. Our grandparents were from that school of thinking. Down to the War and it's effects I imagine. Rationing. Living within your means etc..

Maybe it is our turn now. Different cause. Similar result ?

Debt is not bad.

Debt is not so good when it is used to acquire depreciating assets though.

Debt is not bad.

Debt is not so good when it is used to acquire depreciating assets though.

I would agree that debt is not all bad for certain people and businesses in certain situations.

I should have said excessive, ridiculous debt is bad. :)

I do love how the swathes of 'property developers' are now waking up to the fact that leverage goes both ways.....

If only they had bothered to work this out years ago...:P

I would agree that debt is not all bad for certain people and businesses in certain situations.

I should have said excessive, ridiculous debt is bad. :)

I do love how the swathes of 'property developers' are now waking up to the fact that leverage goes both ways.....

If only they had bothered to work this out years ago...:P

Any bank that is daft enough to give Manis ( look at me big head flash car Gregor) IOO MILLION POUNDS Deserves to take a bath.

And no doubt Mr Gregor will re surface UN scratched, however all the tradesmen and suppliers he has robbed and put out of business and on the dole will suffer.:mad:

Archived