Edinburgh - the new "Ghost Town"

Geoff Kilpatrick

Geoff Kilpatrick

I read on the Hootsmon's comments pages that Edinburgh could be what Coventry was in the 1980s, the "ghost town" made famous by The Specials (and Father Ted!). This is due to the potential job losses in the financial sector.

Thoughts?

Things will, inevitably, change once the consequences and repercussions of the past weeks (and future months) become fully apparent. Edinburgh becoming a ghost town is difficult to imagine, but with its financial pillar irreparably cracked, it needs to find an other area of expertise. Mind you, "Do you remember the good old days before the meltdown?" sounds quite catchy.:(

I read on the Hootsmon's comments pages that Edinburgh could be what Coventry was in the 1980s, the "ghost town" made famous by The Specials (and Father Ted!). This is due to the potential job losses in the financial sector.

Thoughts?

Funnily enough i was thinking exactly the same yesterday.

What brought the subject to my mind was the thread on Eck Salmond, apparently Salmond has suggested Scotland could lose up to 40000 jobs in the financial sector with the merger of HBOS.

Of course this was ridiculed by the anti SNP brigade, but as an Ex miner i can remember Arthur Scargill being ridiculed for suggesting the mines where going to lose 100000 jobs:eek:

So yes Geoff there could be very tough times ahead for Edinburgh, but i am still moving back next year.

Charlie-Brown

Edinburgh used to be a major brewery town with 42 separate breweries having existing in the city over the last 125 years (although never more than 30 existed at the same time i think) then the city became a centre for banking & finance....I don't know what the future holds but patterns of work and major industries/employers change over the decades, brewing, engineering & electronics & now financial services have all been key employment sectors over the years but things change.....I don't know what's coming next but something will replace lost financial sector jobs.

ArmiyaRomanova
Edinburgh used to be a major brewery town with 42 separate breweries having existing in the city over the last 125 years (although never more than 30 existed at the same time i think) then the city became a centre for banking & finance....I don't know what the future holds but patterns of work and major industries/employers change over the decades, brewing, engineering & electronics & now financial services have all been key employment sectors over the years but things change.....I don't know what's coming next but something will replace lost financial sector jobs.

Would you like fries with your haggis, Senor?

Negative equity makes it very difficult for labour to be mobile. So it will be difficult for people to move out of Edinburgh to places where there are jobs.

Miller Jambo 60
Negative equity makes it very difficult for labour to be mobile. So it will be difficult for people to move out of Edinburgh to places where there are jobs.

Plenty jobs in livingstone.

Mostly Agency though.

Edinburgh will be hit hard, has been the Scottish finance centre for years.

TBH would pay the big money men off , getting big pay cheques for doing very little.

My opinion but am i right.

To be brutally honest, if it gets rid of some of the arseholes who've come to populate this city, then I wouldn't be that downhearted!

Archived