WILLIE GIBSON

cookieboy

well the Busby lovers have a thread (and I am one of them) but I loved Willie G why has he never been back at half time etc?:)

I remember watching Willie score a hat trick against Celtic in 76. We were 3-1 at one point. Every time he scored hoards of Celtic fans came charging at us from the Shed which they had taken over.:mad:

But typical Tims they scored with minutes to go to win 4-3. I cant remember if Dalgliesh or Aitken scored it. Fighting erupted everywhere after that.

I remember the abuse Willie had to endure at Tynecastle from the 'fans'. This went on for weeks until eventually Drew Busby took it upon himself to defend Willie by gesturing to those 'fans' with the international sign of 'FLECK YOU'.

willie gibson_thumb.jpg

I remember watching Willie score a hat trick against Celtic in 76. We were 3-1 at one point. Every time he scored hoards of Celtic fans came charging at us from the Shed which they had taken over.:mad:

But typical Tims they scored with minutes to go to win 4-3. I cant remember if Dalgliesh or Aitken scored it. Fighting erupted everywhere after that.

Dalgleish hat trick that day?

Dalgleish hat trick that day?

Cant remember if he did or not mate.

I do remember a big fat Tim hanging over the main stand waving at us as we were leaving. Somebody threw a pie which hit him square on the coupon.

well the Busby lovers have a thread (and I am one of them) but I loved Willie G why has he never been back at half time etc?:)

He used to (or still does) run a post office/store in a village near Kirkcaldy (Coaltown of Wemyss?) and his busiest day was a saturday. When he managed time away from the shop on a saturday he enjoyed watching his boy play for a local junior team. Got the feeling he would have accepted an invite to attend a game if his old mate Cammie Fraser came along as well.

I remember him coming on as a substitute for (I think) Arbroath at Tynecastle in the 80s when he got a fantastic reception. Mind you, I think we were comfortably ahead by that stage!!

He "scored" the winner in my first game at Tynie, a 3-2 against Ayr in the league cup. Think he punched it in to the net, not 100% on that one

Willie Gibson was my Favourite player when i was Mascot against Rangers. Don't know what its like for the mascots these days but back then, your chosen Favourite player showed you all round Tynecastle,I was lucky in that not only Willie was with me all day showing me about but Frank Liddell and Derek O'Connor as well. then you got a kick about on the park with the team just before the match kicked off, as well as getting to toss the coin in the air for the ref. One of the best days of my life, I scored at Tynecastle in front of the school end, John Brough (Remember him) was the keeper i scored against, After it i Got Willie Gibsons match shirt which i still have to this day with the 10 on the back. Great player scored many a goal for us. We won the match that day 2-1.

Also in the team was a certain teenager by the name of Gary MacKay.

jambos are go!

Willie Gibson was underrated and has a fantastic scoring record. Best Hearts player I've seen one on one with the keeper and a great penalty taker. I'll tempt fortune by saying he did not miss many if any.

Picked on Lithuanian fashion by so called fans. Saw him at Starks Park with his Laddie bedecked in a Hearts Scarf many years after he left us.

If I'm not mistaken the 'winning' goal was scored by Joe Craig. The thing I remember about that game was the second half display by Dalglish and Danny McGrain, they ripped us apart.

I remember the abuse Willie had to endure at Tynecastle from the 'fans'. This went on for weeks until eventually Drew Busby took it upon himself to defend Willie by gesturing to those 'fans' with the international sign of 'FLECK YOU'.

[ATTACH]1143[/ATTACH]

Drew Busby giving the Hearts fans the fingers...............at that point in our history there seemed to be a different player every other week doing that; especially Busby and Jim Brown.

He "scored" the winner in my first game at Tynie, a 3-2 against Ayr in the league cup. Think he punched it in to the net, not 100% on that one

Was that Drew Busby that did that?

Somebody with a better memory than me will tell us!

My all time favourite player - worshipped him as a kid.

I mind there was set of football cards which had Willie in, I think, a mocked up Scotland strip as a sub in their Topps Scotland squad or something. That was the nearest he ever got to a cap, but he'd walk into the Scotland team nowadays.

Miller Jambo 60

Remember Gibby well.

Got on a bus after the fives at meadowbank during the 70s.

Me and my mates got all excited and poor willie got a beamer.

great bloke.

Also stayed up the road from Alan Anderson.

another gent.

I remember watching Willie score a hat trick against Celtic in 76. We were 3-1 at one point.

The Celtic fans went on the pitch and stopped the game for a while (them and their **** neighbours would do anything to win then and now), we lost momentum and concentration.

My dad loved Wille Gibson and he was a player who was really underated. He scored loads of goals in a poor Hearts team.

He should be invited to Tynie for the HT draw - I am sure he would now get a great reception.

Brick Tamland

He should be invited to Tynie for the HT draw - I am sure he would now get a great reception.

Hear Hear, lets get the bring back Willie Gibson to Tynie campaign rolling. Was one of my favourites as a boy - never a startling player but a steady 7 out of 10 performance every week and could tuck away the goals when given the chance and very rarely blew it at 1:1's with the goalies.

He always looked quite untidy, I thought - shirt out, sleeves hanging off the ends of his arms over his hands, kinda thing.

Great player of his time.

Remember Gibby well.

Got on a bus after the fives at meadowbank during the 70s.

Me and my mates got all excited and poor willie got a beamer.

great bloke.

Also stayed up the road from Alan Anderson.

another gent.

Other than when he was sh4gg!ng* the wife of one of my mates that is! :eek::evilno::D

Willie Gibson was my favourite player when I started supporting Hearts: he was brilliant for his hat-trick in the 3-4 game but - unfortunately - Dalglish was unstoppable that day...

The Federation should definitely get WG back to Tynie as soon as possible.

(* Allegedly...)

Miller Jambo 60
Other than when he was sh4gg!ng* the wife of one of my mates that is! :eek::evilno::D

Willie Gibson was my favourite player when I started supporting Hearts: he was brilliant for his hat-trick in the 3-4 game but - unfortunately - Dalglish was unstoppable that day...

The Federation should definitely get WG back to Tynie as soon as possible.

(* Allegedly...)

OH dear these things do happen.

OH dear these things do happen.

Well, she was a wild, wild woman, so might just have "led him on a little bit"! ;)

alwaysthereinspirit

I was there too. 2 - 0 and 3 - 1 up. Think Dalglish got the winner.

[ATTACH]1143[/ATTACH]

I've got that sticker too. It's on the wall of my dad's upstairs hall cupboard, which I used as a den when I was a boy.

I can't remember all the good goals Willie Gibson scored for some reason, I do remember he used to throw his head back in disgust when he missed though.

Johanes de Silentio

Willie Gibson - great player - legend - scored plenty - a pox on any fan that ever gave him a hard time - come back, Willie!

Did he not score the winner against Partick away in the cup. I seemed to remember it was an afternoon kick off on a Wednesday during the power strikes am I right?

Miller Jambo 60
Did he not score the winner against Partick away in the cup. I seemed to remember it was an afternoon kick off on a Wednesday during the power strikes am I right?

Tyne 3-2 to hearts maybe wrong

He used to (or still does) run a post office/store in a village near Kirkcaldy (Coaltown of Wemyss?) and his busiest day was a saturday. When he managed time away from the shop on a saturday he enjoyed watching his boy play for a local junior team. Got the feeling he would have accepted an invite to attend a game if his old mate Cammie Fraser came along as well.

Good old Willie was one of my favourite players, I used to get free tickets for some of the home games from him as I used to look after him in Bentleys nightclub in Kirkcaldy. He ran the post office in the Coaltown of Balgonie which was a few miles away from the wemyss Colin.

Grumpy.

Have vague recollections of a WG hat-trick at Arbroath in the mid-70's (the yo-yo period). It was around xmas time (poss xmas eve or Boxing Day) and we won 7 or 8 nil I think. In those days the league sponsors gave a case of champagne to any player who got a hat-trick and I think Willie and the Buzz-bomb both got 3. Must have been a brilliant journey back to Edinburgh on the team bus that day!

Goodmorningmrfisherman
Have vague recollections of a WG hat-trick at Arbroath in the mid-70's (the yo-yo period). It was around xmas time (poss xmas eve or Boxing Day) and we won 7 or 8 nil I think. In those days the league sponsors gave a case of champagne to any player who got a hat-trick and I think Willie and the Buzz-bomb both got 3. Must have been a brilliant journey back to Edinburgh on the team bus that day!

XMAS EVE 7-0 also a hatrick the next again week against killie at home and it was a case of whisky not champers at the time.

A right festive time.

WILLIE G THE GOLDEN BOY:toasting:

My dad used to travel on the train between Kirkcaldy and Edinburgh with Willie Gibson Cammy Fraser and Jim McArthur, met them all Willie was the first player i remember worshiping probably cause i had met him, have a mental picture of a thin fast forward who could miss from a yard but kept trying.

I'm intrigued what did Barnsley's player of the century do to gain jailbird status

I think it was something to do with a sports shop he owned burning down under "suspicious circumstances"*. :eek::sterb032::devil-smiley-029:

Don't know if he was ever convicted of anything, but seem to remember the red-top rags having a field day about the whole thing at the time.

(* Or, in-no-way-suspicious circumstances, if Mr. Glavin's legal representatives happen to be reading... :whistling:)

Archived