World Cup Qualification Group

JamboMarc

Agreed, though a lot will depend on how we go against the Dutch. I have a feeling beating them at home may be necessary and that's a tall order, but you never know. I'm really confused though about how the runner-up scenario will pan out for us. Does anyone know if teams from the smaller group usually make it into the play-off and how many points we're probably going to need to qualify for it?

Agreed, though a lot will depend on how we go against the Dutch. I have a feeling beating them at home may be necessary and that's a tall order, but you never know. I'm really confused though about how the runner-up scenario will pan out for us. Does anyone know if teams from the smaller group usually make it into the play-off and how many points we're probably going to need to qualify for it?

have a feeling that in the only group of 5 teams we have nae chance:sad:

I think this is how it goes:

From the 9 groups, 8 of the 2nd place team go into the playoffs. These 8 teams are the 8 teams closest to 1st place. To make it fair the 8 groups with 6 teams results v bottom of the table are not taken into account. So I think we will need to finish fairly close to Holland.

I was so excited before the game on Saturday. Now, I'm deflated completely.

Either we don't have the players or the manager's wrong, but we look so mediocre, I'm not 100% sure I really want us to get to South Africa anymore.

Look at England's start to their campaign. Everyone on here will gladly tell you that they are rubbish but 12 points out of 12!

Scotland could never do that, even against the teams England faced.

Sorry, just on a downer tonight. Too many dead animals, rumours and crap drinking companions.

FTH.

Either we don't have the players or the manager's wrong, but we look so mediocre, I'm not 100% sure I really want us to get to South Africa anymore.

Look at England's start to their campaign. Everyone on here will gladly tell you that they are rubbish but 12 points out of 12!

Sorry, just on a downer tonight. Too many dead animals, rumours and crap drinking companions.

FTH.

Why should we be using England as our benchmark?

We don't have the players but nor do Norway, Macedonia or Iceland.

Second place and a play off against someone like Ireland will do me fine.

The Old Tolbooth

FTH.

There lies your answer.

Hearts Heritage
Agreed, though a lot will depend on how we go against the Dutch. I have a feeling beating them at home may be necessary and that's a tall order, but you never know.

The good thing is that it is the last group game. IF the Dutch have qualified they will have nothing to play for.

bit early for this, but second place table as it stands so far..bottom team fails to qualify..

Team Grp Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Notes

Russia 4 3 2 0 1 6 3 +3 6 ab

Lithuania 7 3 2 0 1 5 3 +2 6 ab

Israel 2 3 1 2 0 6 4 +2 5 ab

Turkey 5 3 1 2 0 3 2 +1 5 ab

Hungary 1 3 1 1 1 3 2 +1 4 ab

Ireland 8 2 1 1 0 2 1 +1 4 ab

Poland 3 3 1 1 1 4 4 0 4 ab

Croatia 6 3 1 1 1 4 4 0 4 ab

Scotland 9 3 1 1 1 2 2 0 4 a

still in with a chance, but we will need to beat holland at home and get a result in norway. but with the next game being holland away, if we get beat there, then it leaves us pretty much needing to win the last 4 games of the group(though 3 wins and a draw might just sneak us through)...

One positive is that despite holland winning all there games so far, they have looked far from convincing, so there might be hope of getting something over there.

Exactly.

Scotland are lucky to have any points in this group and the teams they are playing are all terrible. Iceland had the better chances against Scotland, as did Norway.

There can be none of the usual complaints about it not being fair because England are getting all the easy teams and Scotland are getting all the hard ones, that would be a complete nonsense.

I've just booked my flights and accomodation for Holland in March... being a non member of a supporters club I was wondering if anyone had tips for getting tickets???

Will they be majorly expensive over there? Any help much appreciated.

And back on topic. Iceland done us a huge favour which should make up for a poor result on Saturday.

Sexton Hardcastle

How much did you pay for flights .I was lookin alst week. Was around 2-250 return. Bumping the prices up dirty *****. Even the boat from south sheils has been bumped up.

How much did you pay for flights .I was lookin alst week. Was around 2-250 return. Bumping the prices up dirty *****. Even the boat from south sheils has been bumped up.

?286 for the two of us on KLM... Flying out on the 8:30am on the saturday, returning lunch time on the Tuesday.

Sexton Hardcastle

Not a bad deal. Cheeky hostel is it?

Will have to give it more thought. Although i really dont see us doing much over there. Always good to have a few days to kill in amsterdam.

Guest Dipped Flake

I got mine for ?135 return, but that is via Dublin. On the ticket front, we will get over 5000 tickets so I think there will be plenty non-members ending up with tickets

Not a bad deal. Cheeky hostel is it?

Will have to give it more thought. Although i really dont see us doing much over there. Always good to have a few days to kill in amsterdam.

Nah, we've booked an apartment for the 3 days, works out around ?290 for the 3 nights in the apartment.

Dipped Flake... how come your going via Dublin. Got mine last night @ ?140 return direct leaving the morning of the game. which gets us in a good 8 hrs before the game.

I've just booked my flights and accomodation for Holland in March... being a non member of a supporters club I was wondering if anyone had tips for getting tickets???

Just ask any of the friendly Somalian guys who hang about on street corners in the red light district. They'll be only too keen to sell you some tickets!

Sexton Hardcastle
Nah, we've booked an apartment for the 3 days, works out around ?290 for the 3 nights in the apartment.

Dipped Flake... how come your going via Dublin. Got mine last night @ ?140 return direct leaving the morning of the game. which gets us in a good 8 hrs before the game.

Looking at some cheap ish hotels around ?100 for 3 nights which isnt too shabby.

Could well be on the cards

Fozzyonthefence
I think this is how it goes:

From the 9 groups, 8 of the 2nd place team go into the playoffs. These 8 teams are the 8 teams closest to 1st place. To make it fair the 8 groups with 6 teams results v bottom of the table are not taken into account. So I think we will need to finish fairly close to Holland.

It's not anything to do with the runners up finishing close to group winners, just how many points you get. So as long as we get 2nd, doesn't matter how far behind Holland we finish (as long as we have more points than at least one other runner up of course, which the way we are going is a big ask).

The good thing is that it is the last group game. IF the Dutch have qualified they will have nothing to play for.

I'd be a lot more reassured by having Holland at home as our last game if we hadn't had Italy at home in our last qualifier for the Euros. We played OK and had some awful luck that night, but we still lost.

I'd be a lot more reassured by having Holland at home as our last game if we hadn't had Italy at home in our last qualifier for the Euros. We played OK and had some awful luck that night, but we still lost.

Difference being the Italians had it all to play for in that game too.

The Dutch will hopefully be through by the time we play them.

The dutch will be through by a canter by the time we play them.

I hope this means second string dutch team and a victory for us.

qaulify in 2nd play off against anybody.

Archived