Desert Island Discs

Walter Kidd

Probably been done before this one but no harm in resurrecting it.

5 songs allowed and why you have chosen them. Mine would be:

1: In the Morning by The Coral. Playing on the radio when my boy was born.

2: Here Comes the Sun by The Beatles. Reminds me of my time in the Far East, in particular Boracay in the Philipines.

3: True Love Ways by Buddy Holly. On the radio when going to see my old man in hospital before I knew he had passed away. Buddy Holly was my old mans favourite. Think it was a sign from him. (Nice to think so).

4: Have I Told You Lately by Van the Man. First dance at my wedding.

5: Hey Rusty - Lloyd Cole. Student days - red leb, breaker lager and cheap Ouzo from my Greek landlord. Best days of my life.

At the moment it would be

1: Somethings Wrong by The Jesus and Marychain

I just think this is the best song ever.

2: Levi Stubbs Tears by Billy Bragg

Reminds me of college in Durham and the accomidating ladies there

3: Teardrops by Womack and Womack

Whispering Bob Harris was playing this when my daughter was born

4: Theives Like Us by New Order

Filthy ex-Girlfriend loved to love to this

5: Seven Nation Army by White Stripes

First and so far only derby game I've took my son to was at Hampden and this is the song he remembers best, for some reason, and I'll probabily never be able to repeat that faither n son day again as it was just perfect.

Numbers 1, 3 & 5 will always be in my top 5 but at this moment in time, listening to John Peel's festive fifty 1985 these are my momentoes from that era

1. Massive Attack - Hymn of the Big Wheel

It always reminds me of when my mum used to pick me up from my house before I'd go through to Glasgow to spend a couples of days with her. Not to mention it's a class tune.

2. Oasis - Champagne Supernova

Music has always been a big part of my life and the Britpop era was the first time in my life that I really got interested in one type of music. I knew I was hooked when (What's the Story) Morning Glory came out, this is probably the most timeless song from that album.

3. N.W.A. - **** Tha Police

My teenage rebellion was to constantly listen to hip hop, particularly Gangsta Rap at first. I was amazed at how something so full of hate, anger and about brutal real life could be in the mainstream music industry. N.W.A's first album is the best example of this, **** Tha Police was the track I was astonished at the most.

4. Arctic Monkeys - Mardy Bum

My return to UK Indie was because of this album. From start to finish I found myself nodding along with every lyric, it was telling me exactly what my life was like for a 19 year old living in Britain. This particular song coincided with my first and (at present) only meaningful relationship in my life. This song was so spot on that I occasionally would call her Mardy Bum.

5. Joy Division - She's Lost Control

This would remind me of my dad. Because I lived with my dad I heard his music quite a lot and, being the son, would hate all of it because to me it sounded, well, just... old. When I got back into UK indie, I started listening to a lot of older stuff. A lot of which my Dad liked. Plus She's Lost Control is such a dark, atmospheric song that it's better to be enjoyed on your own - like in a desert island.

Jamie_the_Jambo

1. New Rose by The Damned

When I first heard this it made the hairs on my neck stand on end.

2. Bodies by The Sex Pistols

Couldnt believe my ears. Definitely a defining moment in my life.

3. Rudie Cant Fail by The Clash

Could probably choose anything from London Calling which would be only record you would need on a desert island if the choice was one LP (or 2).

4. Parties in Chelsea by The Television Personalities

Again probably anything from this LP but it gets the nod ahead of Geoffrey Ingram.

5. Red Vines by Aimee Mann

Probably the finest singer songwriter around at the moment. A wealth of songs to choose from.

Runners Up

The Wildhearts

Carbon Silicon

Joe Strummer

Therapy?

Q65

Jamie

Archived