Gas Hob Installation

Hood09

Had to buy a new cooker and gas hob, now i have installed the electric cooker, but I need the gas hob hooked up. I am aware that you need someone who is registered to actually do this, is this the case?

If so anyone know anyone and any idea how much it would cost?

Also thinking about a new shower as well, anyone any id how much it is to fit a new electric shower?

Had to buy a new cooker and gas hob, now i have installed the electric cooker, but I need the gas hob hooked up. I am aware that you need someone who is registered to actually do this, is this the case?

Also thinking about a new shower as well, anyone any id how much it is to fit a new electric shower?

you need a corgi registered gas installer. they all have to be by law to operate anyway, otherwise it's a cowboy. probably about ?100-150.

you need a corgi registered gas installer. they all have to be by law to operate anyway, otherwise it's a cowboy. probably about ?100-150.

seems a bit pricey just to screw a tap together no?

depends. if it's a new gas appliance being installed then there's a few items required, like a socket and hose, compression fitting etc. call out, labour and parts could easily be that much. if it's just a new appliance going in where one was before then the required stuff may already be there and it's just a case of unplugging the old one and putting in the new one.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Pay for the CORGI guy

My last house almost blew up because the tit that fitted the kitchen fitted the gas hob himself

The only thing that saved us was the fact that we never ever shut the kitchen door so the gas leak ventilated itself.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

If the original fitting is installed then you can legally do it yourself,most are a bayonette fitting and very easy to do.

If you are selling or letting then you MUST get a corgi registered heating engineer to install and check properly.

Pay no more than about ?70 + Vat or you are being shafted.

To install and check properly it shouldnt take any longer than 30 minutes.

If the original fitting is installed then you can legally do it yourself,most are a bayonette fitting and very easy to do.

If you are selling or letting then you MUST get a corgi registered heating engineer to install and check properly.

all right there LF? some sound advice you've given there, but you've gone and undercut me by 30 blabs, i've been waiting on the dude's call!!!

no wonder you can afford all these foreign holidays fella.

all right there LF? some sound advice you've given there, but you've gone and undercut me by 30 blabs, i've been waiting on the dude's call!!!

Not wanting to step on your toes, but as the OP says its a gas hob,and you cannot use a bayonet connection for a hob.:eek:

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Now then Victorian.

The last i heard was that you where an undertaker.

So that's how it works is it,you fix punters gas supply's inadverently killing the poor folk while picking up the double bubble on the burial.

It should be you having the holibobs.

Ere...are you the modern day "sweeney todd".

"Victorian the demon gas fitter of auld reekie toon"

Tiberius Stinkfinger
Not wanting to step on your toes, but as the OP says its a gas hob,and you cannot use a bayonet connection for a hob.:eek:

Good spot ;););););)

My mate is a corgi registered gas engineer, he'd do it cheap for you.

dunno aboot that. a hob does have a different end on it to a normal cooker but all you have to do is 'step up' the thread to the bayonet size.

christ maybe lionheart is right, maybe i have bumped off a few customers.

Now then Victorian.

The last i heard was that you where an undertaker.

So that's how it works is it,you fix punters gas supply's inadverently killing the poor folk while picking up the double bubble on the burial.

It should be you having the holibobs.

Ere...are you the modern day "sweeney todd".

"Victorian the demon gas fitter of auld reekie toon"

that's just your evil mind working overtime as usual LF.

Tiberius Stinkfinger
that's just your evil mind working overtime as usual LF.

I aint the one blowing folk oot their scrathers...am i !!!!:eek::eek:

I never had you down as a DIY expert auld yin.

Do you still use wooden handled screwdrivers ???

I aint the one blowing folk oot their scrathers...am i !!!!:eek::eek:

I never had you down as a DIY expert auld yin.

Do you still use wooden handled screwdrivers ???

screwdriver? you've made that word up.

Tiberius Stinkfinger
screwdriver? you've made that word up.

No i never VI.

You know full well iam allways true to my word.

I am pretty sure you have drank enough Voddy and orange juice in your time aswell (commonly known as a screwdriver).

No i never VI.

You know full well iam allways true to my word.

I am pretty sure you have drank enough Voddy and orange juice in your time aswell (commonly known as a screwdriver).

aye, you've always got an answer for everthing. many a night on the vodka right enough... but always manage to keep my coat, unlike some i could mention.

stirlingshirejambo

the op also mentioned an electric shower fitting

Ours has conked out this morning so will have to replace

Any idea of a rough cost for an electrician to install shower and I know I'm thick but do we need a plumber too

Tiberius Stinkfinger
aye, you've always got an answer for everthing. many a night on the vodka right enough... but always manage to keep my coat, unlike some i could mention.

I dont have an answer for that !!!!!!!!!!!

dunno aboot that. a hob does have a different end on it to a normal cooker but all you have to do is 'step up' the thread to the bayonet size.

christ maybe lionheart is right, maybe i have bumped off a few customers.

The point is it should be done using rigid pipe not a flexi bayonet hose, i hope your not a plumber/gas engineer:(:(:(

The point is it should be done using rigid pipe not a flexi bayonet hose, i hope your not a plumber/gas engineer:(:(:(

you may relax, i'm not!!! i know, hobs have compression connections on them (3/8" external thread normally), as opposed to cookers which have internal 1/2" threads. just saying that you could bodge up a bayonet hose onto it.

but as lionheart says, i would probably be responsible for blowing peoples' trousers off.

portobellojambo1

If you do it yourself and your hoose blows up yer fecked, but if a proper gas fitter does it and your hoose blows up you might still be fecked but your surviving relatives have someone to make a claim against.

you may relax, i'm not!!! i know, hobs have compression connections on them (3/8" external thread normally), as opposed to cookers which have internal 1/2" threads. just saying that you could bodge up a bayonet hose onto it.

but as lionheart says, i would probably be responsible for blowing peoples' trousers off.

Relax!! Very good.

I know how to do it, the point is its illegal and should not be done:mad:

Unless its in leith :P

the op also mentioned an electric shower fitting

Ours has conked out this morning so will have to replace

Any idea of a rough cost for an electrician to install shower and I know I'm thick but do we need a plumber too

depending on the shower and cable installed already but if you wish to pm me then i can give you a price, if its a straight forward swap not too much, and no you don't need a plumber.

oh and im a fully qualified approved spark

depending on the cable run and pipe for the shower, on average it would cost around ?200, but i would need to view the job first as i price by the metre for showers

Archived