NON HMFC *** Football Club Director talking loudly on the train

wheatfield to sheffield

wheatfield to sheffield

Who is the heavily eyebrowed man in a FA Blazer travelling from Birmingham to Scunthorpe at 10.00 on Wednesday 15 October, sat opposite me as I travel to Doncaster from Sheffield? Having a very loud conversation on his phone about ?Michael Woods, Neil Woods nephew, I?ve got some videos the manager would like to see, he?s at Chelsea and so might be available for loan?, and then talking about travelling down to Exeter, wants to see the team play. Who is at Exeter on Saturday?

Now I can get online, I find Grimsby Town are away at Exeter at the weekend, Neil Woods is Grimsby?s youth team coach. Looking up google images, the blazerati member wasn?t John Fenton, GTFC Chairman. But Grimsby?s rep to the FA is "Div 6 J M Elsom FCA (2001) Grimsby Town FC".

And tracking down some old images ? it certainly was John Elsom, former Chair at Leicester, who joined the board at Grimsby in 2002.

Good to see he doesn?t feel the need to travel first class. Hope he doesn't have too many business conversations on the train.

Geoff Kilpatrick

On a tangent, but wasn't there a Neil Woods on Rangers' books during the Souness days? Is it the same person?

On a tangent, but wasn't there a Neil Woods on Rangers' books during the Souness days? Is it the same person?

I think that was Chris Woods who was a keeper iirc.

Geoff Kilpatrick
I think that was Chris Woods who was a keeper iirc.

I'm definitely not thinking of Chris Woods. He was an England international! Neil Woods, from memory, was a random signing from the English lower leagues, one of the many Souness made like Chris Vinnicombe!

Anyone who's spent any time in the company of football club directors will know that many of them like as many people as possible to know how important they are, so they do tend to conduct football conversations, whether on the phone or in person, very loud and in public.

There's more than one manager who has found out he's on the way out from other people overhearing directors holding conversations in public that probably should have been held in private.

And they'll only travel 1st class when someone else is picking up the tab.

There are, of course, many decent people on football club boards; but there are a lot of self-important ones.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Who is the heavily eyebrowed man in a FA Blazer travelling from Birmingham to Scunthorpe at 10.00 on Wednesday 15 October, sat opposite me as I travel to Doncaster from Sheffield? Having a very loud conversation on his phone about ?Michael Woods, Neil Woods nephew, I?ve got some videos the manager would like to see, he?s at Chelsea and so might be available for loan?, and then talking about travelling down to Exeter, wants to see the team play. Who is at Exeter on Saturday?

Now I can get online, I find Grimsby Town are away at Exeter at the weekend, Neil Woods is Grimsby?s youth team coach. Looking up google images, the blazerati member wasn?t John Fenton, GTFC Chairman. But Grimsby?s rep to the FA is "Div 6 J M Elsom FCA (2001) Grimsby Town FC".

And tracking down some old images ? it certainly was John Elsom, former Chair at Leicester, who joined the board at Grimsby in 2002.

Good to see he doesn?t feel the need to travel first class. Hope he doesn't have too many business conversations on the train.

Michael Woods is a young midfielder who was at Leeds United before he was nabbed by Chelsea.

Ended up paying around ?4million to Leeds in compensation for him and another kid.

I'm definitely not thinking of Chris Woods. He was an England international! Neil Woods, from memory, was a random signing from the English lower leagues, one of the many Souness made like Chris Vinnicombe!

Pretty sure there was a Neil Woods. On the subject of Vinnicombe, I saw him play the other week for a non-league side. He is about 39 and is somewhat on the slow side.

Anyone who's spent any time in the company of football club directors will know that many of them like as many people as possible to know how important they are, so they do tend to conduct football conversations, whether on the phone or in person, very loud and in public.

There's more than one manager who has found out he's on the way out from other people overhearing directors holding conversations in public that probably should have been held in private.

And they'll only travel 1st class when someone else is picking up the tab.

There are, of course, many decent people on football club boards; but there are a lot of self-important ones.

couldn't agree more. I was once in the Directors' box at Tynie and was gobsmacked to hear one of our directors happily discussing the fact that our move to Murrayfield was a done deal. At the time, the infamous "Not fit for purpose" document had not even been published.

that was stevie woods wasn't it? the bald goalkeeper?

He was very ugly and not very good.

Archived