The Hibs Scottish Cup Hoodoo

The Merse

I'm 23, and the first time I can remember singing about this was when it was 98 years in a row. Before that I can't remember much bragging about this particular statistic and in fact I think I only realised they hadn't won it for 98 years at the time until I seen something on Sportscene about it!

Is it just a hazy memory on my part or have the Hearts fans been winding up the Hibbies about this for longer than that? Ie in the 50's it was still 50 years since they'd won it, were we taking the **** then?

Having read my post before hitting send I think I've just figured out the reason, we won it in 98 so found it easier to take the pish as we'd ended our fairly lengthy run without winning it.

I don't remember it being as talked about as now.Maybe our '98 cup win cranked up the bragging rights.That and the 100 year "anniversary."

It's always been funny and,as time moves on,gets funnier.

gorgie rd eh11

They sang the song first, in reference to us not winning a trophy for 36 years. After 98 we adopted the song, and have enjoyed it ever since.:107years:

Hearts Heritage

Is it just a hazy memory on my part or have the Hearts fans been winding up the Hibbies about this for longer than that? Ie in the 50's it was still 50 years since they'd won it, were we taking the **** then?

A lot of Hearts fans wanted Hibs to make it an 'Edinburgh double' in 1958. Remember this was the time when fans attended the Edinburgh venues alternately.

We started doing our 'countdown clock' in 1998 IIRC.

Archived