South Africa 2010

londonjambo

Does anyone happen to know when applications for tickets open ?

Its usually well in advance and I notice that the match schedule is now available but cant find anything on when its possible to apply.

Anyone ?

GC

Initial tickets go on sale at the begining of February 2009 according to the FIFA website.

Ah thanks - thats what I was looking for but couldnt find.

Could you just give me a quick steer to where it talks about it on the FIFA website.

Thanks again

GC

[EDIT: Found it now so no need - thanks]

I fear for the visiting fans in this world cup.

South Africa would not have been my choice.

Can I ask why ?

Was thinking about a trip to Cape Town which I have always been told is pretty civilised and (relatively) trouble-free

GC

alwaysthereinspirit
Can I ask why ?

Was thinking about a trip to Cape Town which I have always been told is pretty civilised and (relatively) trouble-free

GC

I would never tell someone not to visit a place I've never been myself.

I just dont feel South Africa was a good choice for a World Cup.

I have absolutely nothing to base it on. Most tourists to South Africa are probably on tour with charter companies and follow an itinerary laid out by professionals to show only the places of interest.

Football fans wont be to interested in that stuff and I dont imagine the South African night life is up to snuff with most European countries or the likes of Brazil, Argentina or Mexico.

I would never tell someone not to visit a place I've never been myself.

I just dont feel South Africa was a good choice for a World Cup.

I have absolutely nothing to base it on. Most tourists to South Africa are probably on tour with charter companies and follow an itinerary laid out by professionals to show only the places of interest.

Football fans wont be to interested in that stuff and I dont imagine the South African night life is up to snuff with most European countries or the likes of Brazil, Argentina or Mexico.

Ahhh, OK. It was your use of the word "fear" that made me wonder. I know SA has a violent reputation but as I said, I was led to believe Cape Town was relatively peaceful.

I suspect you are wrong these days about tourism there - a lot of people travel independently there, I believe. Also not all football fans are only interested in beer and brothels - some of them, believe it or not, are actually interested in places of interest.

Anyway, cheers for the heads up.

GC

Ahhh, OK. It was your use of the word "fear" that made me wonder. I know SA has a violent reputation but as I said, I was led to believe Cape Town was relatively peaceful.

You're right, CT is relatively peaceful compared to JoBurg and Durban. If you have travelled then you probably take some sensible precautions and these should be adhered to with a bit extra in the city centre and especially after dark. The surrounding areas are not to be recommended though, especially the less "permanent housing estates". Cape Town is probably the most European South African city so there are quite a few high quality restaurants and pubs, especially on the waterfront. The people are more cosmopolitan than elsewhere as well.

My missus is from SA and despite its security issues, as long as you are sensible I would strongly recommend the place for a visit. Just gutted it's unlikely we will be playing.

Archived