John_Walker - First black Hearts player

wibble

I would love to know more about John Walker the first black Hearts player. I think it is overlooked in most history books that this was probably the first black player in Scotland.

Seems he was quite a talent too, and was signed by Liverpool from us.

The lad was born in 1874 too!!

Anyone know where there is more history on him?

There's a wee bit here:

http://www.londonhearts.com/images/jwalker.htm

Art Vanderlay

I don't think he was the first black player in Scotland.

That honour, i believe, belongs to Gil Scott Heron's dad, who used to play for Celtic.

Gil Scott Heron is a total legend.

I don't think he was the first black player in Scotland.

That honour, i believe, belongs to Gil Scott Heron's dad, who used to play for Celtic.

Gil Scott Heron is a total legend.

Andrew Watson is "credited" with that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Watson_(footballer)

Its on Wiki if you punch in Andrew Watson. The link does not work for some reason.

Art Vanderlay

Wow, nice one guys, all over me!

After I posted I had that "hang on... is that even correct?" moment. Would be a good thing if a lot of our messageboard members had the same post-post reflex...

Wow, nice one guys, all over me!

After I posted I had that "hang on... is that even correct?" moment. Would be a good thing if a lot of our messageboard members had the same post-post reflex...

How exactly am I "all over you"? I was pointing you in right direction. Next time i'll not bother with such knowledge to help.

I think we'd find that John Walker was Scotland's first black professional footballer as Andrew Watson was wholly amateur from what I've read.

Watson's amateur status is used by the bloody English to claim Arthur Wharton as the first British black player. :rolleyes:

I genuinely believe that John Walker should be a high profile part of Hearts history - the warrior poets would love to have the accolade:hobofish:, but this is ours.

I suggest everyone emails Show Racism The Red Card on :

[email protected]

and gets them told that Walker deserves recognition.

BTW: what is it about the name Walker and Hearts?

How exactly am I "all over you"? I was pointing you in right direction. Next time i'll not bother with such knowledge to help.

Chill, pretty sure Art was being complimentary. :o

Chill, pretty sure Art was being complimentary. :o

Maybe. It sure doesnt sound like that though and certainly wouldnt surprise me.

I suppose the debate between amateur and professional is the crux here. Watson played for Scotland and won a number of Scottish Cups. I think this was the time before players were "allowed" to call themselves professional. So while he retained amateur status, he probably could be classed as "professional".:)

I would love to know more about John Walker the first black Hearts player. I think it is overlooked in most history books that this was probably the first black player in Scotland.

Seems he was quite a talent too, and was signed by Liverpool from us.

The lad was born in 1874 too!!

Anyone know where there is more history on him?

There's a wee bit here:

http://www.londonhearts.com/images/jwalker.htm

Actually he didnt. That was a different John Walker from what I can tell.

Hearts Heritage
Actually he didnt. That was a different John Walker from what I can tell.

There were 2 at the same time. The second was referred to as 'Darky' in those non PC days.

Art Vanderlay
Maybe. It sure doesnt sound like that though and certainly wouldnt surprise me.

Steady Chester!

wasn't meaning anything bad at all - "all over me" meant all over my error - was only impressed that you'd have clocked it straight away even before I had reposted.

My knickers were, as they are generally, in a state of untwistedness.

Hugs,

AV

There were 2 at the same time. The second was referred to as 'Darky' in those non PC days.

Must have been when the SFA liked us... ;)

Art Vanderlay

No doubt the PC brigade on here will be up in arms over that kind of tosh. Bleeding heart pinko Vlad-loving prawn-sandwich-eating killjoys the lot of them.

In the early years of their history Hearts ...

* Employed the first Black professional footballer in the country

* Risked their league membership by playing Hibs in defiance a sectarian boycott.

* Admitted ladies free of charge

Given these facts it seems strange that reactionary, backwards bigotted Hearts Supporters from out of town describe themselves as being more "traditional" when at the dawn of it's history Hearts seemed to be particularly progressive, liberal and family friendly.

Art Vanderlay

* Risked their league membership by playing Hibs in defiance a sectarian boycott.

Given these facts it seems strange that reactionary, backwards bigotted Hearts Supporters from out of town describe themselves as being more "traditional" when at the dawn of it's history Hearts seemed to be particularly progressive, liberal and family friendly.

You can't argue with that. Well not unless you're short on smarts.

Topcat

You're forgetting the club being rescued from a sure demise in the early 20th Century by a Jewish immigrant from Lithuania whose father was a rabbi.

GC

No doubt the PC brigade on here will be up in arms over that kind of tosh. Bleeding heart pinko Vlad-loving prawn-sandwich-eating killjoys the lot of them.

Seems somewhat strange that you would post this on a thread celebrating players whose only thing in common was that they were black Hearts players - is that not PC?

Seems somewhat strange that you would post this on a thread celebrating players whose only thing in common was that they were black Hearts players - is that not PC?

I think he was being sarcastic.

:)

GC

This has to be a mistake...

* Having a Jewish immigrant from Lithuania whose father was a rabbi as an early board member.

We're a club of rightwing, KKK, BNP, C18 etc, etc supporting racist, nazi stormtroopers. Apparently.

• 9 years later...
scott herbertson
22 minutes ago, Brauhauser2012 said:

Time for this to be brought to the front again and remind people of our history.

Great repost.

On 13/10/2008 at 21:53, Sherlock said:

* Having a Jewish immigrant from Lithuania whose father was a rabbi as an early board member.

We're a club of rightwing, KKK, BNP, C18 etc, etc supporting racist, nazi stormtroopers. Apparently.

Amazing I'm quoting a post from almost 10 years ago but I feel it's relevant.

We have always been a progressive liberal club. Just look at our stance on the Living Wage.

Very sad a section of our support have no idea of our history yet at the same time claim to be the traditional ones.

PeterintheRain
On 10/13/2008 at 21:53, Sherlock said:

To be fair to every other club in Scotland. It was a boycott of sectarians not a sectarian boycott.  The original Hibernians had a strict Catholics only policy before they died. Which is why nobody wanted the raving bigots to come back.

Marooned In Oz
34 minutes ago, PeterintheRain said:

To be fair to every other club in Scotland. It was a boycott of sectarians not a sectarian boycott.  The original Hibernians had a strict Catholics only policy before they died. Which is why nobody wanted the raving bigots to come back.

Shut up you tedious ***** 

On 14/10/2008 at 05:04, 12august1893 said:

Without checking, I'm pretty sure that when Standard Liege knocked us out of the European Cup their star, marquee player was known as Bongo Bongo, King of the Congo.  Not sure how non p c that is, if at all.

1 hour ago, PeterintheRain said:

Oh Jesus Christ.

:facepalm:

Archived