On The Spot Fines At Scotland Game

Susie-Jambo-66

Susie-Jambo-66

I was speaking to a friend who said that the police were handing out on the spot fines for supporters who were drinking in the street around Hampden on Saturday.

But here comes the important bit.

As far as he could see the only supporters getting fined were the Scotland fans whilst the Norway supporters were allowed to freely drink in the street without any approach from the police.

Fort Vallance
I was speaking to a friend who said that the police were handing out on the spot fines for supporters who were drinking in the street around Hampden on Saturday.

As far as he could see the only supporters getting fined were the Scotland fans whilst the Norway supporters were allowed to freely drink in the street without any approach from the police.

Same thing happened in 2006. Hearts fans getting spot fines but the happy day trippers getting away with it

Whilst ignorance is never a defence to the law, that strikes me as sensible application of the bye laws in Glasgow.

Why should the Norwegians have to suffer because the Weedgies can't historically behave themseves?

Rudi Hates Hibees

Heard this also but i never seen anyone get fined. We were stood outside a wee shop behind the west stand, carryout in hand and the police were across the street watching us but didn't say anything. Must have been 20 of us there so could've been easy money for Glasgows finest!

Whilst ignorance is never a defence to the law, that strikes me as sensible application of the bye laws in Glasgow.

Why should the Norwegians have to suffer because the Weedgies can't historically behave themseves?

Nothing to do with the weegies, Edinburgh is about the only place in the central belt and indeed the populated parts of this country where you can still have a drink in public. It's a well known byelaw in the areas outside this city.

In any case the ban on alchohol at Scotland games was actually brought by Lothians MSP and Justice Minster Kenny Macaskill basically because domestic violence after Scotland games rose 10 fold when alchohol was involved.

Thig Ar Latha
Nothing to do with the weegies, Edinburgh is about the only place in the central belt and indeed the populated parts of this country where you can still have a drink in public. It's a well known byelaw in the areas outside this city.

In any case the ban on alchohol at Scotland games was actually brought by Lothians MSP and Justice Minster Kenny Macaskill basically because domestic violence after Scotland games rose 10 fold when alchohol was involved.

There's been a ban on alchohol at Matches in Scotland since about 1980(?) since the Old Firm fans thought the pitch at Hampden was a good venue for a mass fight, and the mounted police thought likewise and joined in. Back then Kenny MacAskill would probably have been in his twenties.

Archived