Anyone have hassle with the booze ban on buses and trains yesterday? (NHC

RoyCropper

Our bus coming from Aberdeen was pulled over at Dundee as i think all buses from Aberdeen were, took some details from the driver. Police officer got on and explained about the search and apoligised for any inconvenice then walked up and down the aisle just having a quick look in the overhead compartments, but it was pointless as anyone who had coke bottles had them well hidden. The whole operation was over in 5 minutes.

The police were there for easy overtime but to their credit, were brand new i thought, bit of common sense commands alot of respect from people.

The bus back up the road was anything but dry though :)

Anyone else have anything simliar or hassle?

Our bus coming from Aberdeen was pulled over at Dundee as i think all buses from Aberdeen were, took some details from the driver. Police officer got on and explained about the search and apoligised for any inconvenice then walked up and down the aisle just having a quick look in the overhead compartments, but it was pointless as anyone who had coke bottles had them well hidden. The whole operation was over in 5 minutes.

The police were there for easy overtime but to their credit, were brand new i thought, bit of common sense commands alot of respect from people.

You'd thik they'd have better things to do rather than search people for drink going to a an international match,especially at Hampden? I was on a bus arranged by Scots taking us from Sofia to Skopje for the recent Macedonia match and you could have took a brewery on the bus! I even offered the border police entering Macedonia if they were wanting a drink whilst they checked all the passports.

What gets me over here is the Rugger chappies who seem to get away with it all the time!! One rule for them and one rule for us!:mad:

The booze ban on buses going to Hampden for matches is nothing new.

IIRC, 5000 hibs supporters buses, heading for a Scottish Cup semi-final, were turned back on M8 on the morning of 2nd April 2006.

There were a couple of 'dipsticks' on the 8.30am train from Waverley!

Might have been Trigger and Rodney?!:)

Alcohol is banned on all coaches in Scotland, not just those going to football matches.

E.g. it is illegal to take a carry out on a Citylinker bus to Glasgow.

As far as i am aware anyway.

Alcohol is banned on all coaches in Scotland' date=' not just those going to football matches.

As far as i am aware anyway.[/quote']

Boris, the law only prohibits alcohol from being consumed on buses going to and from sporting events.

Alcohol is banned on all coaches in Scotland' date=' not just those going to football matches.

As far as i am aware anyway.[/quote']

Correct. I think that you might get away with storing in the boot on a service bus but not a chance on a football coach.

I once had a bottle of wine taken off me on a Citylink bus on the way back from a Christmas party in Glasgow.

I have seen a minibus pulled over by the police to search for booze on the way to a SPL match at Motherwell.

We went through on the train but there was no issues with the police - I could see them on the platforms at the stations but they didn't really seem to be doing much except keeping an eye on things.

At the end of the day its against the law, we all know it and we all take a risk.

The police enforce the laws, if they decided to ignore some and not others it wouldnt be much point in having laws

the police also well published this stance

If Im going to glasgow and drinking I know I take the risk of this happening, but if it did I would accept it.

kinross jambo

our bus got pulled over just after the kincardine bridge,thay had a whole lane reseved for pulling buses over.

talk about total overkill,there were TEN police waiting to search the bus,they must have had about seven or eight bags full that they confiscated from other buses.

f@nnies.

Boris' date=' the law only prohibits alcohol from being consumed on buses going to and from sporting events.[/quote']

Its been an offence to drink alcohol on a "contract carraige" for a long time before the legislation which specifically banned it from sporting events and added bits to the existing legislation.

Its not an offence to do it on the 42 or any service bus, (The Citylink thing is a grey area here but I would imagine they(Citylink) simply took an internal decision not to allow it) but if youve privately contracted/hired a coach to do a specific journey (say going to a wedding or something) its an offence and has been for many years.

The People's Chimp
At the end of the day its against the law, we all know it and we all take a risk.

The police enforce the laws, if they decided to ignore some and not others it wouldnt be much point in having laws

the police also well published this stance

If Im going to glasgow and drinking I know I take the risk of this happening, but if it did I would accept it.

Your missing the point; the fact is that the stance itself is wrong. It's a complete nonsense.

Your missing the point; the fact is that the stance itself is wrong. It's a complete nonsense.

Do I agree with it? No

Is it complete nonsence? Well I dont know enough to say for sure but what I do know is alchohol is responsible for a lot of violence, people act differently whilst drunk and therefore is it unfeasible that by having alchohol banned on the streets and at football games it reduces the propensity for violence? Well no it doesnt

Suggesting their needs to be common sense and so on is all good and all but who makes this decision, one persons common sense wouldnt match anothers

I think its a case glasgow do need to review their drinking laws and scotland as a whole the bus ones

The street drinking laws in edinburgh are more suitable as it is case of you dont get pulled up unless your doing something and the bus thing is probably a stigma of the 80's and 90's hooligans.

Overall though at the end of the day anyone who went yesterday knew the laws and stance to it and took a risk, they took that risk as a knowledgable adult and to moan about the consequences is pointless as they where avoidable, ultimately they broke the law and as a society we cant just follow the laws we agree with

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Football fans are not allowed to have fun. FACT.

We are the s*** of the earth who should go to the game, sit on our hands with our mouths shut, politely applaud if you must. Go straight home after the game and then get tucked up in bed for Match of the Day with a nice cup of tea.

Complain to your friendly SNP MSP. They are currently trying to ban offsales for under-21 year olds.

Set of moaning puritans, if you ask me!

On a side note, I think it's ridiculous that pretty much all derby games have to be kicked off between 12:30pm -2pm.

I miss being able to have a decent drink before them all because of our nanny state.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
On a side note, I think it's ridiculous that pretty much all derby games have to be kicked off between 12:30pm -2pm.

I miss being able to have a decent drink before them all because of our nanny state.

It's because you are a football fan, therefor you are a bad man.

In the past I would have agreed with you however can you tell me how a driver deals with 52 rowdy drunken persons (albeit probably not all the 52) on a bus in a safe manner???

Think of the safety aspect on the roads and for everyone on the bus.

12.30 ko's blame the OF and the 2pm ko's blame Sultana!!!

I just wish every game kicked off on a Saturday at 3pm. Sadly it will never happen again in our lifetimes.

What, the police doing their job is wrong?!

Thig Ar Latha

Got the Train down (7.20am) and took a couple of beers on as usual. No police were on the Train and only saw a police presence on the platforms from Dundee onwards. Did'nt see any notice saying alcohol was banned, but it usually says from 8.00am onwards. Had to be sneaky to get it past the Weegie police on the way home though.

Is there much point in banning alcohol on the Trains when you get into Glasgow at the back of 10.00 and then walk round the corner to get an early opening Pub anyway?

Our wee 16 seater from the Railway Inn ,Lower Largo got pulled over twice.Once before the Forth Bridge and once into the leisure park just after Coatbridge.Police went out of there way to be friendly and just took the organiser and driver off for questions.Atmosphere at the game seemed less pished and we didnt see the loons from Banff and other such pairts falling out of there buses and kilts pre match.

I drove from Aberdeenshire to Glasgow Airport on Saturday morning and there were coaches beginning stopped ar Dundee/Forth Road Bridge and EuroCentral most I saw were at Dundee. I was in a People Carrier but did not get stopped but they did a pnc check as I went passed each spot.

Archived