Recommend me a Sunday paper.

Gambo

I normally out of habit more than anything buy a Sunday Mail, Sunday Post and the News of the World....................i fancy something different today, what do the kickbackers recommend and why?

It kinda depends what you want from your paper. The papers you mention are not intended to stretch you. If you want something more, then try the Observer or Sunday Times. If you're looking for more in depth Scottish football coverage, try Scotland on Sunday or the Sunday Herald.

Newspapers are handy for finding out what you are expected to think.

You can get lots of useful info but you have to take it all with a pinch of salt.

I find them handy for working out what the average person is thinking. Then you know to think the opposite. :)

Newspapers are handy for finding out what you are expected to think.

You can get lots of useful info but you have to take it all with a pinch of salt.

I find them handy for working out what the average person is thinking. Then you know to think the opposite. :)

CC, Thats strange, you seem to quote them way too often to back up "your thoughts";)

But anyway, back to the point ! I agree about The Observer, bought it for the first time a couple of weeks ago (missus wanted the free DVD) and I thought it was pretty good. Not great for local sport but overall a decent read.

Started reading The Times a few years back, have to say its not a bad paper.

The sport in it is exellent as well.

:)

CC, Thats strange, you seem to quote them way too often to back up "your thoughts";)

You can get lots of useful info but you have to take it all with a pinch of salt

:)

As I have said many a time they are very useful for working out when people are allowed to be told certain things - specifically when it comes to the economy.

House prices crashing, credit crunch, bank bail outs, stock markets crashing etc....

The info they have and the opinions they have are very often valid., sometimes including very useful facts and figures. However they are usually WAY behind the curve to be of any use to the general public.

All I have seen this week is 'experts' on the TV and in the media questioning whether or not you should have your pension or savings linked to the stock market. Not much point discussing that now is there. If they had been discussing it last year it would have been useful.

People are supposed to act like sheep. They do what they are told. The more and more you read newspapers and watch news the more and more obvious it becomes.

Observer is pretty good, not that big on Scottish footy but there is so much coverage everywhere else I don't mind that.

Observer is pretty good, not that big on Scottish footy but there is so much coverage everywhere else I don't mind that.

Likewise, generally the news is more English orientated but overall it is still a decent paper compared to some of the dross.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I'm an Observer reader but if I want more than a cursory few words on Scottish football I'll buy the SoS even though it's still a bit close to The Hootsmon

I normally buy the Independent on Sunday for actual reading and then a red top or 2 to get sports gossip and general Sunday nonsense. My wife gets the Mail On Sunday as she likes the supplements and crossword section and I sneak a look at it as, political views apart, it's a fairly well put together paper.

I used to buy the sunday people a while ago simply for the seperate enclosed 40 page sport paper

Not sure if they still do that

One of the broadsheets would be a shout for more intelligent sports info

I would say the people and telegraph is a good mix of brainlessness and intellect

I used to by The Times & The Sunday Herald.

The Smartarse on Sunday is awful. My Dad gets the Observer, but it's sport, especially Scottish Football, isn't all that.

I don't buy anything now as my wee family committments do not give me time to actually sit down and read a Sunday paper but I do try to get as much online as I can.

Pity really, as the News Review supplement and the Culture mag of the Sunday Times are quite impressive.

Archived