Capital Punishment

Konrad von Carstein

Capital Punishment should be brought back...  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Capital Punishment should be brought back...

• Yes...Hang them high
    • No...Killers have rights too, you fascist pig
    • St Johnstone...

Problem is the cost involved with this.

The number of people currently serving life in Scottish Prison is puting the whole system under strain. That's why they are allowed back out into society again (not because there is any great belief by those in charge that these people have reformed).

So the question has to be posed - with the costs esculating year on year, how do we deal with these people.

Rather than me just churning out the age old "it's cheaper to jail someone than to kill them" line:

This is from the economist:

It is now far more expensive to execute someone than to jail him for life; in North Carolina, for instance, each capital case costs $2m more. Ordinary inmates need only to be fed and guarded. Those on death row must have lawyers arguing expensively about their fate, sometimes for a decade or more (see chart 2). The system of appeals has grown more protracted because of fears that innocent people may be executed. Few would argue that such safeguards are not needed, but their steep cost gives abolitionists a new line of attack.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rather than me just churning out the age old "it's cheaper to jail someone than to kill them" line:

This is from the economist:

Maybe so - but the costs of keeping prisoners serving long sentences are piling up year on year and are impacting on other services that society needs.

There appear to be no easy answers.

Chain gangs would be quite effective and would help lower construction costs. For example, it costs obscene amounts to build motorways etc, so allocating some labouring jobs to the prison services would help lower the cost and would justify the cost keeping these people alive.

Always been pretty much against it. However, watching Girls behind Bars and other programmes. What is the solution for multiple repeat offenders. maybe hanging is too much but I would bring the birch or the rod or something back.

Surely the answer is to find out why people offend and try to nip that in the bud, rather than siply punishing those who do offend?

As for the death penalty - I was also dead against it and probably still am, however there are one or two exceptions that come up that make me question myself.

DikT, are you just talking about murderers, serial rapists etc repeatedly offending (whom should be incarcerated for their entire life first time round) or do you mean every criminal that repeatedly offends?

DikT, are you just talking about murderers, serial rapists etc repeatedly offending (whom should be incarcerated for their entire life first time round) or do you mean every criminal that repeatedly offends?

I was asking what the solution is. I don't have a solution. I do think a good birching might help though.

Surely the answer is to find out why people offend and try to nip that in the bud, rather than siply punishing those who do offend?

As for the death penalty - I was also dead against it and probably still am, however there are one or two exceptions that come up that make me question myself.

the truth is Boris, for every exception you can think up there will have been innocent people accused and convicted of the same crime. Even getting a watertight confession isn't a guarantee of someone's guilt as there have been a few cases where mentally disturbed individuals have confessed to crimes only to be found out years after. With this being one of them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Kiszko

the truth is Boris, for every exception you can think up there will have been innocent people accused and convicted of the same crime. Even getting a watertight confession isn't a guarantee of someone's guilt as there have been a few cases where mentally disturbed individuals have confessed to crimes only to be found out years after. With this being one of them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Kiszko

This is why i am essentially against the death penalty.

But becoming a father has somewhat altered my view on certain things and has changed how I think I may feel in certain instances.

I'm a father too, and I'd be more devastated if it were to transpire that the wrong person had been hanged, whilst the real killer was never punished and was never likely to be either.

What does the judicial system do then? Keep on killing people until they nail my child's killer? It's not unknown for several people in succession to be wrongly accused.

I would never take anything that happens in the USA as a standard to set against what happens anywhere else for that matter.

Of course you would - if the figures suited you. ;)

Archived