Bowel Cancer

inspector

This is for the 50-74 year age group. Have you been contacted by The Scottish Bowel Screening Centre yet? I was contacted a couple of weeks ago and asked to supply 3 smears. Damn tricky but managed to do it and am now awaiting the results. The contortions you get into collecting the necessary samples are comical if it wasn't such a serious ailment. Anyway this is another plus for our NHS. Preventive rather than reactive:).

I can only urge you all to get the test cos this is what took my auld faither away fae us 7 years ago and if he was here now he would say

:107years:

:107years::P

:hobofish:

This is for the 50-74 year age group. Have you been contacted by The Scottish Bowel Screening Centre yet? I was contacted a couple of weeks ago and asked to supply 3 smears. Damn tricky but managed to do it and am now awaiting the results. The contortions you get into collecting the necessary samples are comical if it wasn't such a serious ailment. Anyway this is another plus for our NHS. Preventive rather than reactive:).

Too much information!! :eek:

Only kidding, this is a disease that seems to be undetected until it's too late for many. Hopefully, this will save some lives.

Say What Again
I can only urge you all to get the test cos this is what took my auld faither away fae us 7 years ago and if he was here now he would say

:107years::P

I think I would have liked your faither mate :)

Too much information!! :eek:

Only kidding, this is a disease that seems to be undetected until it's too late for many. Hopefully, this will save some lives.

OK I know it's not the nicest subject to deal with but it's an easy and non-invasive test that we can all do. It is potentially life-saving so ignoring the opportunity is daft especially if the cancer can be halted if caught early. Cookie-boy, would your father-in-law be with us if this test was available 10 years ago?

OK I know it's not the nicest subject to deal with but it's an easy and non-invasive test that we can all do. It is potentially life-saving so ignoring the opportunity is daft especially if the cancer can be halted if caught early. Cookie-boy, would your father-in-law be with us if this test was available 10 years ago?

ye he is still with us today but Auld Tam (God rest him) my faither is gone.but he will be with us a week on Sunday;)

I think I would have liked your faither mate :)

you would have loved the auld bugger he was there in 65 he was there in 86 he was there in 92 ,ach I think he was just a jinx!!!!!:P but he was there in 56 58 60 62 98 so he wisnae!!!!!:eek:

chester copperpot
ye he is still with us today but Auld Tam (God rest him) my faither is gone.but he will be with us a week on Sunday;)

Lets hope he shine's down on Fester road and gives us a wee break mate.

Cancer is a horrble way to lost any mate/family/friend.

Lets hope they're all smiling down next sunday when we play the ======

Early detection is the secret, if its in the family you should after age fifty have a colonoscopy every five years. There is also a simple test where you take a swab from a movement, this is the one that saved my life.

Its a terrible disease but it is survivable, I just had my fourth colonsocopy in two years, and was told that all is clear and I am free of my annual colonoscopy now for two or three years, I repeat that the reason I can say this was early detection by a simple test, and a doctor who insisted I take the more invasive examinations based on a microscopic cell in a sample. I should also plead guilty to self denial in signs that I knew were dangerous but lied to myself about.

My apologies to another thread writer who does not like cancer stories.

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?
OK I know it's not the nicest subject to deal with but it's an easy and non-invasive test that we can all do. It is potentially life-saving so ignoring the opportunity is daft especially if the cancer can be halted if caught early.

Don't know about the "non-invasive" bit. :eek:

Tests for bowel cancer usually involve a camera crew up the bottom and one down the throat! :P

Anyway, my dad was diagnosed with bowel cancer and has just had part of his bowel removed.

Fingers crossed he'll be alright.

One thing he did get from the NHS though was an HAI.

An HAI?

Yup; a Hospital Acquired Infection! :eek:

A bit early to say how it'll work out, as he's still very weak, but he's a dead (no pun hopefully!) ringer for the latter day Nigel Lawson! :eek:

Must be a bugger to shave when you've got folds of skin where your neck used to be!:P

Don't know about the "non-invasive" bit. :eek:

Tests for bowel cancer usually involve a camera crew up the bottom and one down the throat! :P

Anyway, my dad was diagnosed with bowel cancer and has just had part of his bowel removed.

Fingers crossed he'll be alright.

One thing he did get from the NHS though was an HAI.

An HAI?

Yup; a Hospital Acquired Infection! :eek:

A bit early to say how it'll work out, as he's still very weak, but he's a dead (no pun hopefully!) ringer for the latter day Nigel Lawson! :eek:

Must be a bugger to shave when you've got folds of skin where your neck used to be!:P

Certainly the tests at the moment are non-invasive. The invasive tests will only occur if the primary tests come back with a positive result(according to the pamphlet) and even then there are numerous reasons why it may not be cancer.

Certainly the tests at the moment are non-invasive. The invasive tests will only occur if the primary tests come back with a positive result(according to the pamphlet) and even then there are numerous reasons why it may not be cancer.

Meant to say hope your Dad gets through it all ok.

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?
Meant to say hope your Dad gets through it all ok.

Thanks for that - I hope so too. :)

My dad had the old camera crew job as he had become anemic and the doctors thought it might be due to abdominal bleeding.

When they did the whole camera thing they spotted a polyp in his bowel and took a sample from it for tests.

The infection most definitley did not help things but even so he still has next to no appetite and has lost about three stone in weight. :(

The stubborn bugger still acts like he did before the operation though.:)

Finger crossed. :)

Screening of higher risk category populations is an excellent thing so if any of you guys of that age get the chance, do your family a favour and go.

Scottish males are at very high risk of bowel cancer (of most types of cancer actually) because of our lifestyle and diets.

The impact that screening has had on breast cancer and the lives of so many women in Scotland has been massive.

So get screened if you get the letter.

I've been having a colonoscopy every 5 years since I was 23 ( 1980 ) as I had a polyp then. Don't ignore any signs of bleeding etc, whatever age you are.

Archived