Bands who almost made it....

Rick Grimes

Anyone got any old favourites who almost made it to the big time, only to fall away?

Just managed to get a CD copy of the first album by The Lost Soul Band, a Penicuik based alt country band who were big on the Edinburgh live scene in the early 90s. Having my first listen through in a few years (have got it on cassette but hee haw to play that on) and loving it :)

Soup Dragons did kind of make it! Shed 7 too, both fab. I only know famous bands as im a music glory hunter :)

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Teenage Fanclub have made 9 albums

That counts as making it in my book

Cool thread!

I saw both the Soup Dragons and Ned's Atomic Dustbin in 1990 and I was listening to The Lost Soul Band's You Can't Win 'Em All Mum just the other day...

Mudhoney?

I was going to say Martin Stephenson and the Daintees, I just googled them and found out their still playing and giging! They're playing Gairloch in April Yvonne, well worth a trip to see them! In fact it turns out they play Gairloch (The Old Inn) every couple of weeks, weird, but that kind of sums them up! On yet further investigation it appears that he lives in Tain now, still quite far from Gairloch, but a lot nearer than Newcastle!

I sometimes have to work over there so may have to pop into the pub and catch the band :). We actually do get a good few decent bands up this way

Microdisney.

The Godfathers.

James King and the Lonewolves.

Big Star.

The Snakes of Shake.

The Flying Burrito Brothers.

Mercury Rev.

The Gyres

Scottish band who were around during the Britpop era....did one album which was a classic..was one of the early support acts for Oasis at Loch Lomond

THe Aberdonian band called "The Dawntreaders"

Used to watch them live in the LEmontree up there in the mid 1990's

Absolute class

Really great frontman

Oh- and Shed 7 made it- I was listening to their "best of" CD this am

If you have a best of CD - OYu've made it

Anyone got any old favourites who almost made it to the big time, only to fall away?

Just managed to get a CD copy of the first album by The Lost Soul Band, a Penicuik based alt country band who were big on the Edinburgh live scene in the early 90s. Having my first listen through in a few years (have got it on cassette but hee haw to play that on) and loving it :)

I saw the Lost Soul Band live about 10 times. They were absolutely brilliant live - always ending with Sympathy for the Devil. Went a bit downhill when the keyboards player left. But The Land of Do As You Please is a great album - with 2 fabulous songs which stand out You Can't Win Them All Mum, and Oh Your Eyes. The album they put out as a filler while they waited for Silvertone to release TLODAYP called Friday the 13th and Everything's Rosie was also good - a country tinged album.

The singer Gordon Grahame is now putting ou music under the name Lucky Jim. It is great too - with an absolute highlight of a song called You're Lovely To Me.

My mates brothers band were called Aerial. They split up just as their album was about to be released (although I've got a Japanese copy). They sounded pretty fresh around the time (2000/01) but it may sound a little cheesy these days. That said Scouting for Girls are doing surprisingly well! They were on Fantastic Plastic alongside Astrid. Wonder what happened to them too.

Astrid, that rings a bell, pretty sure 1 if not all are from Stornoway? They played Ullapool a few times and the drummer was seeing a girl I know. memories are pretty hazy as its been a few years!

The Valves - '70s punk-type band who released a couple of singles and had a lot of good songs. Don't know what happened to them but I wish they had made an album.

The People's Chimp
Microdisney.

The Godfathers.

James King and the Lonewolves.

Big Star.

The Snakes of Shake.

The Flying Burrito Brothers.

Mercury Rev.

I think you could say that mercury rev and the flying burrito brothers, essentially, 'made it.' Mercury rev got a lot of recognition.

Surely it's more about someone who really had it in them to go huge, and blew it, ride being the perfect example. Or Northern Uproar. ;)

Astrid, that rings a bell, pretty sure 1 if not all are from Stornoway? They played Ullapool a few times and the drummer was seeing a girl I know. memories are pretty hazy as its been a few years!

The better Astrid is Astrid Williamson who was in Goya Dress and has released 2 or 3 belters of solo albums.

Doctor FinnBarr

The Lorelei. From the Elgin area I think, a mixture of sort of folk rock/cajun/fiddley-diddley kind of stuff. Reformed a year or so back with a new lead singer after problems with Martin (old lead singer) trying to do a Shane McGowan. Too drunk to sing, falling off stages etc. Musical differences was the official reason! Still well worth listening to though!:confused:

I remember a group called The Rolling Bricks or something like that, way back in the sixties. They started with some great R&B but went a bit commercial and had to compete with The Beatles and I suppose they just Faded Away.

I think you could say that mercury rev and the flying burrito brothers, essentially, 'made it.' Mercury rev got a lot of recognition.

Surely it's more about someone who really had it in them to go huge, and blew it, ride being the perfect example. Or Northern Uproar. ;)

The Burrito's never sold or dented the Us or British charts.Gram Parsons is an iconic figure that never sold any records in large amounts.

I will withdraw my Rev from the list though and add on The Redskins.:)

Some bands are just not cut out for "making it big"

I could name a huge list (as others could) of bands that we feel could have went on to have more of a commercial impact on music.

Its worth noting that not a lot of people gave two ****s to The Velvet Underground until long after they stopped making music.

Walter...

There is a 20 years since The La's made their debut album box set coming out soon. It has the original album plus other sessions that the band did with other bits and bobs thrown in. Think its a 3 disk'er.

:)

I could name a huge list (as others could) of bands that we feel could have went on to have more of a commercial impact on music.

Its worth noting that not a lot of people gave two ****s to The Velvet Underground until long after they stopped making music.

Walter...

There is a 20 years since The La's made their debut album box set coming out soon. It has the original album plus other sessions that the band did with other bits and bobs thrown in. Think its a 3 disk'er.

Oooh. Must get that....

Walter...

Is that the BBC sessions disks? Think there are a couple of those available already?

The La's live at the Network (now the Cavendish). Supported by the Milltown Brothers. March 1991. Fantastic.

Is that the BBC sessions disks? Think there are a couple of those available already?

The La's live at the Network (now the Cavendish). Supported by the Milltown Brothers. March 1991. Fantastic.

Its a different release mate. The BBC Sessions is indeed brilliant. Its being released by Go Disks I think who are also putting out the different sessions The La's did with producers. There are one or two rare bits being thrown in as well. Not sure when the release is, a couple of months time I think. Should be interesting hearing the different sounds the producers have for them. As we know old Lee Mavers was never happy with anything!

My mucker was at that gig, says it was fantastic.

nine black alps first album was immense, **** knows whats happened to them since.

also a ban called Crackout had 2 great singles, one of wihc was called You Dumb **** (surely thats enough to ensure fame and fortune), dunno whats happened to them after that

I'd like to nominate a band from Glasgow called the Needles, played a few gigs before moving to London and playing a few there, heard them played on xfm/beat 106 and reviewed on teletext - they recently split up though, dont know if they ever got an album out :(

Its a different release mate. The BBC Sessions is indeed brilliant. Its being released by Go Disks I think who are also putting out the different sessions The La's did with producers. There are one or two rare bits being thrown in as well. Not sure when the release is, a couple of months time I think. Should be interesting hearing the different sounds the producers have for them. As we know old Lee Mavers was never happy with anything!

My mucker was at that gig, says it was fantastic.

Have you read the book by the guy who tracked down all the various members of the la's? It is an interesting read.

What a shame that Lee Mavers has never been able to get the music he says he has in his head onto record.

nine black alps first album was immense, **** knows whats happened to them since.

also a ban called Crackout had 2 great singles, one of wihc was called You Dumb **** (surely thats enough to ensure fame and fortune), dunno whats happened to them after that

I'd like to nominate a band from Glasgow called the Needles, played a few gigs before moving to London and playing a few there, heard them played on xfm/beat 106 and reviewed on teletext - they recently split up though, dont know if they ever got an album out :(

I remember The Needles when they were based out of Aberdeen. They always seemed destined to go no where.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

Back in the 90's I worked beside a guy who used to come in mornings to do the cleaning in the shop I was then employed in.

He was maybe a few years older than me. His name was Davie.

He was in a Edinburgh band called "Friendship 7". I got quite friendly with him as we shared the same taste in music and I was interested in the fact he was a singer/songwriter in his own band. He gave me a tape of his songs and they were really good.

Sadly I found out later that Davie left the band because he had given up trying to get a record contract after years of struggling in the music scene. I think he was able to find a job in the music industry somewhere. I can't remember his surname, it might have been Wood or something because he was nicknamed "Woody" but I only knew him as Davie.

I was saddened that an obviously talented person had to work as a cleaner and was unable to pursue his dream. He was also a good Hearts supporter.

I would be interested to find out if any guys recognise this name and if they knew Davie, I would like to find out how he is doing.

Have you read the book by the guy who tracked down all the various members of the la's? It is an interesting read.

What a shame that Lee Mavers has never been able to get the music he says he has in his head onto record.

Read it a few months back, Coco. Really interesting read.

The closest he had to getting down what he wanted and he destroyed the recordings. Truly gifted but bizarre man.

The drugs do work, thats the problem.

Hipsway had a great first album then faded away...

The debut album was great but the follow up was a vastly over-produced album, there was only 2 of the original 4 left at that time.

The singer went on to form a band called Witness which had shades of the old Hipsway but didn't quite cut it.

Some other great bands have been mentioned already The Godfathers, Joyrider etc

How about Northside from the baggy era, or The Fat Lady Sings, GUN (they did "make it" but could've been far bigger"), The Almighty.

what ever became of Bilbo Baggins from the mid 70s?

One of their number drinks in Luckies;)

Read it a few months back, Coco. Really interesting read.

The closest he had to getting down what he wanted and he destroyed the recordings. Truly gifted but bizarre man.

The drugs do work, thats the problem.

He still says his album would have been better if they had left him to produce it.

Noel Gallagher's favourite album of all time. In my top 5.

He still says his album would have been better if they had left him to produce it.

Noel Gallagher's favourite album of all time. In my top 5.

The thing is mate, he has had 16 years to come up with his own version. He records all the time is his lock up studio in Liverpool.

I just think he is incapable to get his thoughts down on tape. I go on The La's forum quite a lot and post, every few months there is a murmur that he is bringing something out - but it always comes to nothing.

He gets a shed load of money for the song "There She Goes". Its something like 12 grand every 3 months.

Little snippets come out of his recordings, they sound fantastic - but thats all it is in the end, little snippets.

Its a real shame as IMO he is one of the best songwriters in Britain.

Hipsway had a great first album then faded away...

I have that album somewhere, I'll have to dig it out and play it, for the first time in about 30 years!

The People's Chimp
The Burrito's never sold or dented the Us or British charts.Gram Parsons is an iconic figure that never sold any records in large amounts.

I will withdraw my Rev from the list though and add on The Redskins.:)

I suppose gram died before any real impact could have been made.

This is a really interesting thread, and hopefully one which runs on a wee bit, because mythology and hearsay and "what ifs?" make for interesting reading. For hibs, interesting viewing.

Released a second album last year called Love Hate, no where near the class of the first I'm afraid.:sad:

Archived