Part time job

Carl Weathers

Carl Weathers

Can anyone recommend a decent part time job - or any suggestions where to try?

I've just returned to Uni' after a years placement.

I'm just worried my flexibility might let me down, as I don't want to miss any Hearts home games!

I've got application forms for ASDA and will hand a CV into Next and a couple of other shops.

I have monday and friday free and would be happy to work one evening or weekend shift (when the hearts aren't at home).

Obviously, I'll be searching extensively myself, just hoping that someone might know of somewhere.

Cheers!

Cheers

Carl Weathers
shouldn't you be studying when you don't have lectures...:whistling::wink:

Probably should be but I'll need to earn a small amount of money as well.

I'm planning on cutting back the boozing this year, so that should free up some time for studying!

My classes are much better this year actually, apart from the dissertation. :eek:

My classes are much better this year actually, apart from the dissertation. :eek:

I hear that in the Dissertation Module there is a really good lecture roundabout week 4 :whistling:

Carl Weathers
I hear that in the Dissertation Module there is a really good lecture roundabout week 4 :whistling:

Yeah, I heard your name mentioned!

Pretty sure I'm washing my hair that day.

;)

Yeah, I heard your name mentioned!

Pretty sure I'm washing my hair that day.

;)

Surely you could just PM him the jist of it Boris...:)

Can anyone recommend a decent part time job - or any suggestions where to try?

I've just returned to Uni' after a years placement.

I'm just worried my flexibility might let me down, as I don't want to miss any Hearts home games!

I've got application forms for ASDA and will hand a CV into Next and a couple of other shops.

I have monday and friday free and would be happy to work one evening or weekend shift (when the hearts aren't at home).

Obviously, I'll be searching extensively myself, just hoping that someone might know of somewhere.

Cheers!

Cheers

Get yourself a job in a boozer, as if they're semi-decent, it should seriously cut your drinking expenses as well! :food-smiley-004:

Or pretend you've got waiting experience, then you can make a tax-free fortune in tips, especially if you're working in a place with high turnover of tables, such as a pizza restaurant. Mind you, you're a student so you won't be paying any taxes anyway...

Gumtree usually has lots of part-time catering stuff on it.

Get a job in an offy. It's a piece of **** and when unassuming customers buy two bottles of wine you can nab the third free for yourself - it also works on champagne.

I used to work in the one on Lothian Road - some characters used to come in there.

Anyone know of any boozers who are hiring at the moment?

Stereo, Awful Lounge and the new downstairs bit at the Rutland are all recruiting! Otherwise give it a month and a pub in Rose St might be taking on a complete new set of staff if stock anomolies don't improve vastly !

Sawdust Caesar
Get yourself a job in a boozer, as if they're semi-decent, it should seriously cut your drinking expenses as well! :food-smiley-004:

Or pretend you've got waiting experience, then you can make a tax-free fortune in tips, especially if you're working in a place with high turnover of tables, such as a pizza restaurant. Mind you, you're a student so you won't be paying any taxes anyway...

Gumtree usually has lots of part-time catering stuff on it.

Tips are taxable.

Surely you could just PM him the jist of it Boris...:)

If he was a smart cookie he would already of found the jist of it on my pages via the Student Portal.

Pfft...:rolleyes:

Carl Weathers

Do any students on here work in a supermarket?

I'm thinking either Asda or Morrisons.

The other choices are Next, Topman, River island etc - they might be less flexible for the football and I have to get my priorities right!

The other choices are Next, Topman, River island etc - they might be less flexible for the football and I have to get my priorities right!

Why not try Sainsbury's at Gorgie? Could be handy for exits to/from the football?

Carl Weathers
Why not try Sainsbury's at Gorgie? Could be handy for exits to/from the football?

Could be a shout - I live in Portobello though so was hoping to somewhere closer to home.

tommythejambo

Get yourself to Toys R us at Fort Kinnard. Employing now I think.

Loads of places will be looking for Xmas staff ATM.

I work in Tesco.

They give you 2 weeks unpaid study leave which, while being unpaid, is better than no time off, or using up valuable holidays.

Carl Weathers
I work in Tesco.

They give you 2 weeks unpaid study leave which, while being unpaid, is better than no time off, or using up valuable holidays.

Nice one.

How many days a week do you work? What are the shifts like?

Thanks

I work a grand total of 3 days a week.:D

Xmas temps will be getting taken on soon I would assume, and a number of these get made permanent.

Shifts, well you'll get anything on the weekend I'd assume. Evenings too are usual student shifts as you see when you go in at about 8pm. Although if you have monday and friday free this may work in your favour.

We're a 24hr store, so shifts tend to end at 10 at the latest, although checkouts is sometimes 11ish.

They are pretty flexible with shifts. Always someone willing to swap.

With the home games, Sundays are a bugger to get covered, so getting contracted to a sunday would be easy. More cash and an easy day to boot. Leaves saturday free.

Carl Weathers
I work a grand total of 3 days a week.:D

Xmas temps will be getting taken on soon I would assume, and a number of these get made permanent.

Shifts, well you'll get anything on the weekend I'd assume. Evenings too are usual student shifts as you see when you go in at about 8pm. Although if you have monday and friday free this may work in your favour.

We're a 24hr store, so shifts tend to end at 10 at the latest, although checkouts is sometimes 11ish.

They are pretty flexible with shifts. Always someone willing to swap.

With the home games, Sundays are a bugger to get covered, so getting contracted to a sunday would be easy. More cash and an easy day to boot. Leaves saturday free.

I'm looking to work 14-21 hrs per week and I'm not wanting to miss the Hearts games!

I'll hand in a couple application forms over the next couple of days.

Cheers

Carl Spackler

Bar work is the best thing when you are a student but I would avoid busy nightclubs and town centre boozers. Local boozers are the best as you can get a banter with the punters who come in.

I worked in stores, on building sites and boozers when I was a student. The sites were the best but no use outside of holidays. The store was fine but really hard work. The boozer was the worst hours but the least graft and the best socially.

Archived