McCarthy could become a Scotland player (NHC)

jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/scotland/2008/10/09/james-will-consider-switch-if-burley-proves-he-wants-him-86908-20787445/

bascily abscene of quotes which makes me question the story about a meeting between James McCarthey and Burley but it is the bit that next month with friendlies for both Scotland and Republic of Ireland and could be possible he is called up to both squads as a tug of war finally comes to a climax.

I know people are angry at him turning his back on Scotland, but if he changed to become a full Scottish player than I would be pleased. The lad is a great prospect and could be an important part of a future Scottish team.

Also on a sidenote, not surprised he was not happy at being snubbed by scotland squads. They too often fill young scotland squads with rangers and celtic players, its almost like they dont look at other teams. That is why I question McGeadys point that he was snubbed (but got told by a celtic fan it was actully he got bullied in scotland squads.)

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/scotland/2008/10/09/james-will-consider-switch-if-burley-proves-he-wants-him-86908-20787445/

bascily abscene of quotes which makes me question the story about a meeting between James McCarthey and Burley but it is the bit that next month with friendlies for both Scotland and Republic of Ireland and could be possible he is called up to both squads as a tug of war finally comes to a climax.

I know people are angry at him turning his back on Scotland, but if he changed to become a full Scottish player than I would be pleased. The lad is a great prospect and could be an important part of a future Scottish team.

Also on a sidenote, not surprised he was not happy at being snubbed by scotland squads. They too often fill young scotland squads with rangers and celtic players, its almost like they dont look at other teams. That is why I question McGeadys point that he was snubbed (but got told by a celtic fan it was actully he got bullied in scotland squads.)

The McGeady thing was because at the time he was eligible for Scottish schools, Scotland had a policy of not picking players who didn't play for their school. Celtic at the time did not let s-from players play for their school so there were no Celtic players picked. McGeady then started to play for RoI. He then, imo, thought Ireland were a better bet to qualify for the WC and EC so stuck with them.

McCarthy's situation I think is just that the RoI asked him first. I'd like to think he would pick Scotland if it came down to a choice but who knows?

I think that both McCarthy and McArthur looked very good against us a month or so ago.

Hopefully GB would be able to convince him to play for Scotland.

The McGeady thing was because at the time he was eligible for Scottish schools, Scotland had a policy of not picking players who didn't play for their school. Celtic at the time did not let s-from players play for their school so there were no Celtic players picked. McGeady then started to play for RoI. He then, imo, thought Ireland were a better bet to qualify for the WC and EC so stuck with them.

Cheers for the info Diego. Thing is tho, all the above should mean absolutely nowt.

If you're Scottish, you should hope and pray the maybe one day you will be luck enough to play for Scotland. Whatever some schools policy may mean at that moment in time, whatever the prospects of qualifying for major tournaments should be, these should not even come into the equation.

He is Scottish. To even entertain the notion of playing for someone else tells me he knows f^%k all about what playing for our country should mean.

Ignorant wee laddies, their loss....

Cheers for the info Diego. Thing is tho, all the above should mean absolutely nowt.

If you're Scottish, you should hope and pray the maybe one day you will be luck enough to play for Scotland. Whatever some schools policy may mean at that moment in time, whatever the prospects of qualifying for major tournaments should be, these should not even come into the equation.

He is Scottish. To even entertain the notion of playing for someone else tells me he knows f^%k all about what playing for our country should mean.

ah, that's where your wrong, he believes he's Irish as do many Weegies, my brother just married into a family of them, none of them born in Ireland for generations but still long for the homeland! :cool:

ah, that's where your wrong, he believes he's Irish as do many Weegies, my brother just married into a family of them, none of them born in Ireland for generations but still long for the homeland! :cool:

Going off on a slight tangent..........this is the exact reason why the west of Scotland needs some sort of "peace process", an almost tangible sign that things have finally changed. Christ, it seems to have worked in N Irelend!!!!

The amount of clowns who think they are "honouring" their "family values" is unreal.......fighting for a cause that simply no longer exists!

Agreed.. It should be the upmost honour to play for your country!!!

little scrote!!!

Can't understand why, as Ireland's pish!

Sawdust Caesar

A newspaper article stated that McCarthy chose Ireland because his Irish grandfather begged him to do it, probably on his death bed or something. I'd be surprised but delighted if he does switch to us.

The boy seems open to persuasion. Hard to read too much into that article. If it was negative we would dismiss it straight away with no quotes and an un-named source. What they should do is get him along on Saturday, sampling the atmosphere of a packed Hampden as Scotland record a good victory. That should be enough to persuade him.

Of course, there is scope for this plan to backfire.

jamboinglasgow
A newspaper article stated that McCarthy chose Ireland because his Irish grandfather begged him to do it, probably on his death bed or something. I'd be surprised but delighted if he does switch to us.

what I heard it was his grandfather wanted him to play in the Ireland top. The boy could argue he has played up to U21 football for Ireland so he played for his grandfathers country now he should be able to play for his home country.

Of course, there is scope for this plan to backfire.

As is always the case when it comes to Scotland!!

You going through on the bus to the game or are you meeting everyone at Rutherglen Snooker club?

Watch me get shot down in flames...........

**** him. End of.

Good shout! Once a traitor, always a traitor!

Fozzyonthefence
according to the Daily Express McCArthy has chosen Ireland

I could understand an Englishman who's nowhere near good enough to play for England choosing to play for one of the other home nations through the grandparent rule (like Hutchinson or Quashie) but a Scotsman choosing to play for Ireland - I can't get my head round that one. Both countries probably equally pesh, so surely you would want to play your country?

Watch me get shot down in flames...........

**** him. End of.

TAKE THAT :sterb032:AND THAT:sterb032:AND ANOTHER :sterb032:Mr Sifter:)

Regular John

Let the little arrogant **** go.

No one is too big for a nation and it's ridiculous Burley would need to convince anyone to choose to play for the country of their birth.

Why anyone would choose Rep of Ireland, a footballing backwater nowadays over Scotland is bewildering.

Plus the fact he's still 17, his career could easily collapse and end up at Pollock juniors by the time he's 21

I think that both McCarthy and McArthur looked very good against us a month or so ago.

They touched the ball about twice each.

I don't like MhcCarthy, but really don't care if he chooses to play for Scotland. I don't care about Scotland at all.

McCarthy should play for Ireland, it was his choice, he should stick with it.

Both McCarthy and McGeady stated that Ireland posed their greatest chance for playing in an international tournament, let them lie in the bed they made.

I haven't seen much of him to comment on him going to be a great player....but i still think if ur scottish u should play for scotland none of this my grandparents are irish/english type thing

Auld Reekin'
They touched the ball about twice each.

I don't like MhcCarthy, but really don't care if he chooses to play for Scotland. I don't care about Scotland at all.

But still you post on this thread... Strange that, eh?

:rolleyes:

As Scotland need all the good players we can get, if he does have a change of heart and becomes available for selection to future Scotland squads it can only be a good thing. Whether or not he turns out to be the top player that some have predicted is another matter.

As is always the case when it comes to Scotland!!

You going through on the bus to the game or are you meeting everyone at Rutherglen Snooker club?

Meeting folk there but getting the bus back.

Choose Ireland, not much we can do about it.

Great Prospect aswell, impressed down at liverpool.

Future Premiership (and unfortunately Irish) star.

Irish future team is shaping up nicely eh :) with him and Mcgeady, and no doubt more to follow.

dont want irish wannabes playing for scotland

****** him and ****** mcgeady and anyone else born in scotland but choose ireland

McCarthy chose to play for Ireland because of the SFA and their stupid rules.

If I recall correctly basically the SFA where not interested in McCarthy because he played for his school etc rather than an initative club and the Irish didnt let this affect their decision

Roll on a few years and McCarthy is a top prospect and suddenly the SFA want him

If the SFA didnt put up barriers in the first place he wouldnt have been playing for Ireland, there was no dying grandad etc here, simply he was given an opportunity that the SFA wouldnt give him

Does anyone know if Celtic fan Nheil MhacFarlane had been good enough whether he wanted to play for Scotland or Rep of Ireland ?

Nucky Thompson
Does anyone know if Celtic fan Nheil MhacFarlane had been good enough whether he wanted to play for Scotland or Rep of Ireland ?
I know what you are getting at but those wee Celtic supporting neds from tough Glasgow neighbourhoods with Irish grandparents are a different breed. I would again bet my life that McGeady and McCarthy would be waving Irish tricolors at Parkhead in their youth. Just my opinion though.

Captain Scarlett

Why not call him up for a game and put him on in stoppage time then he will have no choice but to play for scotland.

Nucky Thompson
Why not call him up for a game and put him on in stoppage time then he will have no choice but to play for scotland.
Because he would refuse to play:rolleyes:

What's strange about it?

"really don't care if he chooses to play for Scotland. I don't care about Scotland at all."

So why post?

Dunno who he would've wanted to play for, but lets assume he too wouldve chosen Ireland.......well f&*k him too!

30 odd posts on this thread, and Im amazed at the "lets hope he might change his mind" view that keeps coming over.

Listen, this is international football we are talking about, this is not about a player choosing his next move within the professional ranks out there. There is a massive difference between the two.

As a professional footballer, YOU choose your club, but your COUNTRY chooses you. Until such times as it does, you sit on your hands and hope. You dont tout yerself to anyone who might look "a better bet" at that moment in time. To me, its fundamentally wrong.

Carl Weathers

As a professional footballer, YOU choose your club, but your COUNTRY chooses you. Until such times as it does, you sit on your hands and hope. You dont tout yerself to anyone who might look "a better bet" at that moment in time. To me, its fundamentally wrong.

Spot on.

Dunno who he would've wanted to play for, but lets assume he too wouldve chosen Ireland.......well f&*k him too!

30 odd posts on this thread, and Im amazed at the "lets hope he might change his mind" view that keeps coming over.

Listen, this is international football we are talking about, this is not about a player choosing his next move within the professional ranks out there. There is a massive difference between the two.

Agree 100% forget anyone who has any doubts about playing for their country

You've said this before, kiddo. He wasn't a Dhim then either and still isn't.

So why post?

Why not post, kiddo? There are plenty of things on here that I don't care about but still post about.

In terms of gauging public opinion, people who don't care are just as important as people who do

You've said this before, kiddo. He wasn't a Dhim then either and still isn't.

Why not post, kiddo? There are plenty of things on here that I don't care about but still post about.*

In terms of gauging public opinion, people who don't care are just as important as people who do

...but their opinions are a great deal less so, precisely because they don't care. If someone doesn't care about a subject, they have probably given it little or no thought, so why should their opinions be given any significance?

Maybe, of course, you do care a little bit more about the Scottish national team (in an entirely negative way, of course - I wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong impression) in general, and the potential for James McCarthy to be selected for it in particular, than you are letting on. :eek:

(* Well, if it helps pass the time and keeps you off the streets, that's OK, I suppose... :P)

If George Burley wants a player to play for Scotland, that's good enough for me.

Leave the politics to the SFA.

MacDonald Jardine
Going off on a slight tangent..........this is the exact reason why the west of Scotland needs some sort of "peace process", an almost tangible sign that things have finally changed. Christ, it seems to have worked in N Irelend!!!!

The amount of clowns who think they are "honouring" their "family values" is unreal.......fighting for a cause that simply no longer exists!

Peace process?

What for?

To make young Tim footballers feel Scottish enough to actually want to play for us?

What a crock.

I wouldnt want the ginger weasel playin for us now after puttin on the colours of that nation............

Yep, if his heart doesn't make the decision easily then I don't want him in a Scotland shirt. I had an English grandparent so I could represent England in theory, but I would never consider myself English and could never represent England.

Archived