Comet Extended Warranty

Griclesfield

Griclesfield

when i purchased my 50" DLP tv i took this extended warranty, now i want a new tv pref an LCD or plasma.

Anyone else had an " accident " with their tvs and claimed on the extended warranty ?

when i purchased my 50" DLP tv i took this extended warranty, now i want a new tv pref an LCD or plasma.

Anyone else had an " accident " with their tvs and claimed on the extended warranty ?

Does the warranty cover intentional damage? :cool:

it covers accidental damage ... which is the same thing.

So are you looking for advice on how to fake the accident or just re-assurance that you are not the only fraudster out there? :)

Griclesfield

just want to know if anyone else has used this service as a way of getting an upgrade on their tv.

just want to know if anyone else has used this service as a way of getting an upgrade on their tv.

You will get an equivalent product.

You could maybe pursuade them for a credit note if you wanted to pay extra to upgrade

Walter Payton

You'd be better asking the question on Hibs.net, I'd have thought we'd have stereotyped that sort of behaviour as more typical of them.

Fraudulent claims are common in Household, Travel, Extended Warranty type claims. I would check the wordings very carefully before concocting a story.

These claims are very easy to spot and if they suspect foul play they will try and make your life difficult.

Been in the industry a long time and as part of my learning curve spent some time in a claims department. The number of cars that got broken into that had an Armani Jacket, Raybans, 100 CD's, top of the range stereo system nicked was not true. If we suspected but couldn't prove it we would come up with wasy to delay or knock it back.

Where you in the middle of decorating and accidentaly dropped it while moving it out of the way,so you could paint the ceiling above it?

:whistling:

The Real Maroonblood

If you check your Household Contents Insurance you will be probably covered for *Accidental Damage."

The point I am trying to make is these extended warranties can be a rip off.

Walter Payton

Suspect I'm going to get pelters from certain quarters here for being a "pc hand wringer" or something similar, but I'd be interested to see how many posters think this sort of bogus claim is "fair enough" because "that's what the insurance company is there for" or how many posters don't like it.

Personally I don't think people have the right to complain about anybody elses dishonesty (be it politicians, businesses etc.) if they're quite happy to do this sort of thing themselves- I was sitting in the pub a few weeks ago and one of the girls was laughing about how she'd managed to avoid prosecution for an ebay scam she was running (she'd been listing items she didn't even own using photos from catalogues and just pocketing peoples cash) because of some police error that had meant she'd never signed her confession. She was the first person to comment later about "dishonest corporate fat cats" when the news came on later, but couldn't (or refused to) see her hypocracy when a couple of us pointed it out.

I agree with Clum... Stealing is stealing... And thats what you are doing if you fake a claim.

It means that the insurance prices will go up for everyone else.

Also - Buy from John Lewis and they give you a 5 year cover for free.. Comets / Currys are a far too expensive when you will have almost all of the cover on your household insurance anyway.

Mark_Mywords
If you check your Household Contents Insurance you will be probably covered for *Accidental Damage."

The point I am trying to make is these extended warranties can be a rip off.

100% Rip off. The profit margins on the type of products they sell are paper thin, mainly due to internet competition. That's why they try and sell you the extended warrantly.

In future, when you buy from the currys/dixons etc, they will offer the extended warranty. Just tell them you can't really afford it. They may offer you a discount on the product if you accept the extended warranty. If they do, take the discount on the product then simply cancel the warranty within 14 days. (90 days if you are paying the extended warranty using direct debit)

Nice free legal discount. :)

Never pulled an accidental stunt like this before but it is the only way us the little guys are going to combat planned obsolescence.

Infact the first PC I bought when PC World opened the salesman actually said... if it has an accident in 4-5 years you will get a shiny new one. Anyway it never, its sitting as a hollowed out shell occasionally used as a linux server.

Griclesfield

well i did pay an extra ?379 for this extra 4 year service.

I have never done anything like this before and i can understand people saying its wrong or its right ...

its the same as if i had a dent on my car then a few weeks later someone crashed into side of me and i then put original dent as a claim to my insurance company for a claim rather than getting it fixed.

There will be posters on this board who have done it, whether it be right or wrong.

when at comet the lad said to me aswell if the tv is broken and we cant repair it we will offer you either vouchers to the value of tv for comet or replace it with a tv of same spec ....

when someone says that it sets alarm bells ringing.

vladtheexhaler

I made a genuine claim on my household insurance for an LCD TV that suffered a cracked screen. One call and the vouchers were in the post (although as they sent them to my previous address, causing a delay, I managed to get an extra ?100 from them).

Anyway, it struck me how easily I could have fabricated the claim and had 2 TV's for the price of 1.

Guest S.U.S.S.
well i did pay an extra ?379 for this extra 4 year service.

I have never done anything like this before and i can understand people saying its wrong or its right ...

its the same as if i had a dent on my car then a few weeks later someone crashed into side of me and i then put original dent as a claim to my insurance company for a claim rather than getting it fixed.

There will be posters on this board who have done it, whether it be right or wrong.

when at comet the lad said to me aswell if the tv is broken and we cant repair it we will offer you either vouchers to the value of tv for comet or replace it with a tv of same spec ....

when someone says that it sets alarm bells ringing.

Pour coke down the back!

Fizz bang, pesky kids Grrrrr.

Archived