School reunions

yvonnejambo

Got an invite to 1 at begining of November and cant quite decide if its a good or bad thing to go to. Any folks been to one and any advice?

Im a no hoper with nothing of any value apart from my son, that I have since leaving school a zillion years ago.

should I go or not?

I P Knightley

Fond memories of school? Then why not?

Morbid fascination in how some of the drongoes turned out? Again, get yourself along.

It shouldn't be a competition to see who's been the most successful, who's kept their own teeth, who'd gained the least weight etc. but only you can tell that from knowing what the folk were like back then. You'd be surprised how little their personalities change in the main.

If you go with a negative attitude about your time since school, you'll hate it. Try not to approach it with your line "I've achieved nothing except my son." A positive attitude about how much pleasure your son has brought you & a positive spin on keeping clear of the stresses of the rat race etc. should help. (Unless, of course, your son is a career criminal on a downward drugs spiral and destined to see out his remaining few weeks slumped in an alley , mugging and begging - that wouldn't be much fun to share.)

or a hibby

Got an invite to 1 at begining of November and cant quite decide if its a good or bad thing to go to. Any folks been to one and any advice?

Im a no hoper with nothing of any value apart from my son, that I have since leaving school a zillion years ago.

should I go or not?

Been to a couple,always had great nights.

So get the glad rags on and enjoy.

Having your son will be a more valuable achievement than any material assets your former school colleagues will have. Go for it - what have you got to lose especially if there is the prospect of meeting people you liked and were friends with at the time.

It's my 10 year reunion next year - I'll need to watch I don't give too much away as they'll realise I've been facebook stalking all of them.

Fond memories of school? Then why not?

Morbid fascination in how some of the drongoes turned out? Again, get yourself along.

It shouldn't be a competition to see who's been the most successful, who's kept their own teeth, who'd gained the least weight etc. but only you can tell that from knowing what the folk were like back then. You'd be surprised how little their personalities change in the main.

If you go with a negative attitude about your time since school, you'll hate it. Try not to approach it with your line "I've achieved nothing except my son." A positive attitude about how much pleasure your son has brought you & a positive spin on keeping clear of the stresses of the rat race etc. should help. (Unless, of course, your son is a career criminal on a downward drugs spiral and destined to see out his remaining few weeks slumped in an alley , mugging and begging - that wouldn't be much fun to share.)

or a hibby

Same thing is it not?

Go along get smashed on MDMA, tell everyone you love them and gurn your face off:rolleyes:

Jamie_the_Jambo

I went on one full of trepedation but it turned out great. Remember, they're just normal Normans too.

Jamie

Go.Get wrecked.Cause Carnage.Be remembered :eek:

:P

I want to show that I have changed :biggrin:

I organised a whole weekend-long one a couple of years ago - the first, after 33 years :eek:

Two evening events, a trip round the school, and a trip to Tynie (yawnsworthy 0-0 draw with Motherwell) for those that were interested.

It was great fun.

We had over 40 out of a year of 86 - pretty impressive after 33 years.

should I go or not?

Went to my one and only when everyone hit the age of 40. Met the ex-wife (who I met at school) and the lady I had the real hots for at school but was too bashfull to ask out .... after a dance she told me she felt the same for me and was dissapointed not to be asked out. The irony will give me memories in years to come!

Generic Username

I'm not sure I'd be too hot on the idea of heading to a school reunion.

I've stayed friends with the people from school I wanted to and have absolutely no desire to know how anyone else is getting along.

I could probably take a stab at most peoples outcomes seeing as it was a school in Kirkcaldy - majority of the girls will be shacked up with kids in a council house and the nuggets will be in jail.

Went to my one and only when everyone hit the age of 40. Met the ex-wife (who I met at school) and the lady I had the real hots for at school but was too bashfull to ask out .... after a dance she told me she felt the same for me and was dissapointed not to be asked out. The irony will give me memories in years to come!

Went to one about ten years ago and the same happened to me.Girl that I had always fancied but was scared to ask her out cos I didnt think she would have given me a second look,told me she had had the hots for me!I,ve been gutted ever since.

Yvonne can only say go and enjoy yourself mines was one of the best nights out ever

should I go or not?

Charming:D

Guest S.U.S.S.

should I go or not?

You are you and have your son. What more do you need.

Go along, be proud and knock them all dead.

Yeah maybe that first bit I wrote came out wrong. What I meant is that what I have seen from school reunions its usually the folk that want to show off about how fab their life is. I am very content with my life but not sure if I could be bothered with heaps gloating about their perfect lives (whether they are lying or not).

I am curious though and would love to catch up with some others. I am still friends with a couple of folks from school so hopefully they can be persuaded to night out up the town.

Im a no hoper with nothing of any value apart from my son..

I wouldn't word it like that at all, that's a bloody good achievement.

Everybody loves Baz
I'm not sure I'd be too hot on the idea of heading to a school reunion.

I've stayed friends with the people from school I wanted to and have absolutely no desire to know how anyone else is getting along.

I could probably take a stab at most peoples outcomes seeing as it was a school in Kirkcaldy - majority of the girls will be shacked up with kids in a council house and the nuggets will be in jail.

And some will probably be wandering aimlessly around the world trying to find themselves :)

Doctor FinnBarr

I went to 1 a few years back and only lasted about an hour. I didn't go to school with old fat baldy guys wearing iffy ties! Realised that if I had liked them I would've kept in touch anyway.

My brother went to 1 which ended in a massive brawl after an argument over who had nicked someone's pencil in an English class and that was after the nipple twisting and the chinese burns!

Blackburn Academy, what a school!

:)

That pretty much sums it up for me to. I probably keep in touch with a dozen or so folk (left Craigmount in '93 :(), and they're the only people I have any interest in.

I've been to two reunions (one when we were all 40, and the second one 5 years later)

Both were good.

Well peshed at both of them.

Funny story from the first one - eventually when I got up on the dance floor I got dancing with a lass who I hadn't seen for over 20 years. Lets call her Isobel, and I said to her - how are you doing.

Her reply - fine, but I'm on my 3rd husband!

Quality.

Archived