Superchipped cars - what does it mean and is it reversible?

blairdin

I had my driving licence revoked on medical grounds, but after 10 months of good health the DVLA are going to let me loose on the public highways again!

I want a car that is going to turn heads and also let me have a little fun.

I've just found this beauty on Autotrader and am going to check it out in the morning:

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/BMW/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-13-29-51-62-240-4294967202/advert.action?R=200840320278422&distance=21&postcode=fk1+4dz&channel=CARS&make=BMW&model=&min_pr=500&max_pr=2000&max_mileage=

Given my enforced break from driving my insurers might have issues with the fact it is chipped!

Anyone know if it is possible to have the car unchipped and returned to standard spec, and if so how costly is it?

BMW's are for rogues and bookies.

Well, one out of two ain't bad!

Am I right in saying that you had an old Merc not so long ago Mr R? Would you recommend? If I can find a diesel Merc in my modest budget in the next month or so I would be delighted.

It means someone has ****ed about with the EMU and modfied the manufacturer settings to maximise performance

It will push the insurance up for a start even if it wasnt for your medical condition

Well, one out of two ain't bad!

Am I right in saying that you had an old Merc not so long ago Mr R? Would you recommend? If I can find a diesel Merc in my modest budget in the next month or so I would be delighted.

I had an old Merc, and now I have a newer one. They are cheaper insurance wise than BMW's and it is no accident that they are used as taxis around the world. THey go on for ever. My old one had over 200k on the clock and went like it had done about 50k. However most are automatic and manuals are hard to find. I have a C Class just now and it is a great little car to drive and fantastic on long drives.

I have owned a few Mercs and swear by them, I have also owned BMW's and wouldn't go back to them, there is something about looking down your bonnet and seeing that star make you feel good.

Consider the new tax system for any car your buying, a lot of bigger engine cars are going to get absolutely roasted from April

Consider the new tax system for any car your buying, a lot of bigger engine cars are going to get absolutely roasted from April

Only if they are less than 5 years old.

cracovia 88 jambo
It means someone has ****ed about with the EMU and modfied the manufacturer settings to maximise performance

It will push the insurance up for a start even if it wasnt for your medical condition

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

You are so funny. Please stay at work in your bank. I will make a guess - You drive a Fiat.

Pen6nluv.jpg

I had an old Merc, and now I have a newer one. They are cheaper insurance wise than BMW's and it is no accident that they are used as taxis around the world. THey go on for ever. My old one had over 200k on the clock and went like it had done about 50k. However most are automatic and manuals are hard to find. I have a C Class just now and it is a great little car to drive and fantastic on long drives.

I have owned a few Mercs and swear by them, I have also owned BMW's and wouldn't go back to them, there is something about looking down your bonnet and seeing that star make you feel good.

Thought that, thanks for the tips. There's an N reg C class on Autotrader just now, manual and diesel, 165k, and within my megre budget. Wasn't able to get a hold of the seller tonight to arrange a look but planning to check it out.

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/MERCEDES-BENZ/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-13-29-51-62-240-4294967262/advert.action?R=200840320045400&distance=22&postcode=fk1+4dz&channel=CARS&make=MERCEDES-BENZ&model=&min_pr=500&max_pr=2000&max_mileage=

Thanks also Prancer. Suspected that was the case about the chipping, hence why I would look to have it de-chipped, unchipped, whatever the lingo is!

I thought the new tax system only applied for new cars. It'll be something old that I'm going for I imagine.

Thought that, thanks for the tips. There's an N reg C class on Autotrader just now, manual and diesel, 165k, and within my megre budget. Wasn't able to get a hold of the seller tonight to arrange a look but planning to check it out.

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/MERCEDES-BENZ/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-13-29-51-62-240-4294967262/advert.action?R=200840320045400&distance=22&postcode=fk1+4dz&channel=CARS&make=MERCEDES-BENZ&model=&min_pr=500&max_pr=2000&max_mileage=

That's a nice looking car. Esprit is the sportier option with firmer suspension and a fancier interior. If it has a decent history the mileage isn't a problem.

And it will impress your Mum.

That's a nice looking car. Esprit is the sportier option with firmer suspension and a fancier interior. If it has a decent history the mileage isn't a problem.

And it will impress your Mum.

Ach well.

Game, set and match to the beemer.

Think of the inheritance?

No point - most of it is in RBS shares...

Might have enough for a spare bulb kit from Halfords and a tent.

You can return pretty much any "chipped" car to standard spec. It can be just that simple, a remapped chip with boost and fuelling increased for extra performance.

However, you might find that there have been other modifications as well. Depends on the car and who actually did the work!

You might want to check that one out though, Autotrader description says its red but the photos of the car are black? :eek:

That car is going to be a money pit! With the price of fuel and a 2.5l. I knew a guy with a big old BMW kinda like that one. He loved that car but just had to give it up because he could not afford it. He had a fair stack of available readies before his BMW now he's bone broke and had to give it away for nothing.

Pretty much everything that could break did break and it was 500 here 300 there to get it patched up. And besides that deal looks too good to be true. Id be wary and get it seriously checked out first. And with it being chipped id check the engine is not showing any strain.

Good advice JJ and Rodge.

In fairness to the seller the car looks immaculate to my untrained eye looked and drove fine. Engine and engine compartment clean, bodywork in great nick, all the old MOTs are there so the mileage can be verified.

The car is overdue a new timing belt which I guess won't come cheap but otherwise its service history is well documented and up to date.

I am wary though, as it's hard to tell how 'hard' the car has been driven.

I wish you could crawl up an exhaust! Going to give this more thought over the weekend.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

You are so funny. Please stay at work in your bank. I will make a guess - You drive a Fiat.

Pen6nluv.jpg

He drives a Toyota.

Whats wrong with Fiats:D

He drives a Toyota.

Whats wrong with Fiats:D

Aye, shut it. Nothing wrong with Fiats!

Mind you, can't really imagine superchipping my 1.2 Punto!

Archived