Standard Life

Jamblow

Is Standard Life a bank?

Standard Life Bank is of course a bank but it is pretty small potatoes in terms of banking and will more than likely not have the exposure to the toxic mortgage backed securities that some of the much bigger banks do.

Dagger Is Back
They seem to be one bank who is riding the storm - is there others?

SL have a bank as part of their operation and they sell mortgages and savings products. Not sure how the bank side is going at the mo. When I was there they had a very good quality of loan book with well under industry norm arrears and they certainly as a bank didn't have the exposure of bank like RBS.

I think they'll be doing well picking up savings business from other players but no idea what their figures are.

Have you seen SLB figures or are you just talking about the SL group which includes investment, pensions etc?

SL have a bank as part of their operation and they sell mortgages and savings products. Not sure how the bank side is going at the mo. When I was there they had a very good quality of loan book with well under industry norm arrears and they certainly as a bank didn't have the exposure of bank like RBS.

I think they'll be doing well picking up savings business from other players but no idea what their figures are.

Have you seen SLB figures or are you just talking about the SL group which includes investment, pensions etc?

Just observed their share price holding up remarkably well over the past few years. See link http://www.standardlife.com/investor/share_chart.html

No how do I open an account?

You live and learn!

I didn't realise that SL had a banking arm.

Buffalo Bill

I had a banking arm.

Was it you left or your right :)

Buffalo Bill

portobellojambo1
They seem to be one bank who is riding the storm - is there others?

Standard Life's share price has actually held up remarkably well for a long while now. I think when I last looked there had been little to no movement on it since around mid 2006, it has been at virtually the same price since then.

How the business itself is doing is more difficult to determine, although I believe the amount that it is paying out in relation to compensation relating to complaints has risen substantially over the same period.

Client wise I think Standard Life have a habit of targeting the high earners bracket, and tend to try and avoid high risk business, which may have proven to be to their benefit, especially in relation to the dealings carried out by Standard Life Bank

coppercrutch
You live and learn!

I didn't realise that SL had a banking arm.

Me too.

Any SL insiders know if it is a clearing retail bank as in HBOS or RBS ?

Me too.

Any SL insiders know if it is a clearing retail bank as in HBOS or RBS ?

Don't think so

They seem to stick too mortgages, savings ( larger scale) and related assurance products

I think part of standard lifes benefit is they tend to be looking at private wealthy individuals as opposed to the bottom end of the market like the other clearing banks thus there is less default and when their is default they have assets to reposess

coppercrutch
Don't think so

They seem to stick too mortgages, savings ( larger scale) and related assurance products

I think part of standard lifes benefit is they tend to be looking at private wealthy individuals as opposed to the bottom end of the market like the other clearing banks thus there is less default and when their is default they have assets to reposess

Cheers just looked at their web site. Never knew they did mortgages and all :eek:

Guest S.U.S.S.

Standard Life has virtually no exposure to the faltering organisations in the states and a very diverse portfolio of investment allowing them to ride the storm at the moment.

The futures bright, the futures SL. :)

coppercrutch
Standard Life has virtually no exposure to the faltering organisations in the states and a very diverse portfolio of investment allowing them to ride the storm at the moment.

The futures bright, the futures SL. :)

SL loser !!!

portobellojambo1
RBS were making billions until recently...

remind me where you joined recently?

I was watching something last night, possibly Newsnight, where some analyst quoted the value of RBS at the close of business yesterday, excluding securities, at only ?3 billion. I believe their share price did however rally slightly today, not a lot, but slightly.

I was watching something last night, pssobly Newnight, where they quoted the value of RBS at the close of business yesterday, excluding securities, at only ?3 billion. I believe their share proce did however rally slightly today, not a lot, but slightly.

Valued at ?15b yesterday but they recently raised ?12m so that's how they worked out the ?3b. Not really factual but still interesting. Capital isn't like energy you really can destroy it. :)

portobellojambo1
Valued at ?15b yesterday but they recently raised ?12m so that's how they worked out the ?3b. Not really factual but still interesting. Capital isn't like energy you really can destroy it. :)

You could have at least waited until I had corrected the spelling mistakes in my original post. :P

You could have at least waited until I had corrected the spelling mistakes in my original post. :P

I pssobly could have. :cool_shades:

I P Knightley

Standard Chartered are reasonably liquid and never got themselves into the whole toxic bond malarkey - mainly because they didn't understand it.

They'll go down and up with systematic factors but not as wildly as the more gung-ho mental banks.

coppercrutch
RBS were making billions until recently...

remind me where you joined recently?

All my fault :)

Just because a big bank provides me with money doesn't mean I have to like them. If the Hobos sent me cash every week I wouldn't turn it down. Well actually I might. I could get bum AIDS. :eek:

I was watching something last night, possibly Newsnight, where some analyst quoted the value of RBS at the close of business yesterday, excluding securities, at only ?3 billion. I believe their share price did however rally slightly today, not a lot, but slightly.

Share price ended up about 0.8% above where it started. That after the initial excitement had raised it by over 30% at lunch. Many a punter diving in for a 'bargain' found out these bargains are a little more difficult to predict than this. Maybe not and its the bargain of the century. However they are a bank. They are still in trouble.

Dagger Is Back
All my fault :)

Just because a big bank provides me with money doesn't mean I have to like them. If the Hobos sent me cash every week I wouldn't turn it down. Well actually I might. I could get bum AIDS. :eek:

Share price ended up about 0.8% above where it started. That after the initial excitement had raised it by over 30% at lunch. Many a punter diving in for a 'bargain' found out these bargains are a little more difficult to predict than this. Maybe not and its the bargain of the century. However they are a bank. They are still in trouble.

Spoke to my pop-in-law tonight. He's a retired RBS branch manager. Sharp as a tack when it comes to financial matters and dyed in the wool RBS.

Asked him if RBS was worth a wee punt. Answer was a resounduing not unless you can afford to lose it which has always been investment advice anyway.

Turns out he was out with a bunch of his old cronies at a colleagues funeral today (him and his gang must have about 400 years of banking experience) and to a man they all said no way Jose to a wee punt.

They feel that there will still be some bad news coming out of RBS re toxic debt and also an insurance liability for Lehmans.

They also feel that the Governments intervention will mean shareholdings diluted in terms of future dividend payments making them less attractive to big investors like pension plans which is and already has lead to some major dumping and as we've seen a price downturn.

He is seriously concerned about all of this and says we have only seen the tip of the iceberg. Government have played their ace - strap yourselves in it's gonna get bumpy.

Good enough advice for me.

Spoke to my pop-in-law tonight. He's a retired RBS branch manager. Sharp as a tack when it comes to financial matters and dyed in the wool RBS.

Asked him if RBS was worth a wee punt. Answer was a resounduing not unless you can afford to lose it which has always been investment advice anyway.

Turns out he was out with a bunch of his old cronies at a colleagues funeral today (him and his gang must have about 400 years of banking experience) and to a man they all said no way Jose to a wee punt.

They feel that there will still be some bad news coming out of RBS re toxic debt and also an insurance liability for Lehmans.

They also feel that the Governments intervention will mean shareholdings diluted in terms of future dividend payments making them less attractive to big investors like pension plans which is and already has lead to some major dumping and as we've seen a price downturn.

He is seriously concerned about all of this and says we have only seen the tip of the iceberg. Government have played their ace - strap yourselves in it's gonna get bumpy.

Your Pop-in-law sounds like a wise man.

Dagger Is Back

Wiser than me mate coz I was gonna buy a few after raiding the kids piggy banks/accounts!

coppercrutch

I agree with David McGee - he sounds a wise man !! Maybe he can replace Sir Fred. :)

What is quite scary is how many RBS emplyees have all their eggs in one basket. Job, pension, savings, shares - everything riding on the fortunes of one company. Not the best plan but then easy for me to say. I think a lot of the older generation still havbe the idea that the banks are the stable sensible place to put all your money as nothing can go wrong. I wonder how this will affect this generation ? Now banks are seen as nothing of the sort. Will people just generally be more cautious ? Not a bad thing if it doesn?t go too far.

As for RBS and the rest - as you say it is quite worrying what will come next. The cards are on the table from them and the Government . They have gone to extraordinary lengths already. What else is there to do if next week the shares start to plummet again ?

Unless I have missed a trick - the only thing left is to nationalise the entire British Banking system ??.:eek:

He can't be that wise, he let his daughter marry dagger-is-back

Gavsy Van Gaverson

I'm very surprised, infact stunned to learn that some of the financial whizzes on this site didn't even know that Standard Life had a banking arm.

Tut tut.

Back to school for the lot of you.

;)

Would you adam and eve it Standard Life getting hammered today, contrary to opinions on here.

Standard Life Bank probably took a lot of deposits from RBS and HBOS, on the other hand their investment arm has a lot of money in RBS and HBOS.( bought HBOS at ?3.27 only weeks ago- ouch! )

Standard Lifes investments in the Scottish Banks looks very poor as dividends will be slashed, and even with improvement will be well below the price they paid for them. They should have jettisoned them ages ago but knowing Standard Life they are probably grimmly holding onto them waiting for a miracle.

In conclusion:- Why get involved in any financial stocks?

They are going to be up and down like a yoyo, you will have no hair left. ( good news one day, bad the next)

There is no transparency in the sector.

Nobody knows who holds the toxic babies, are they exposed to Lehman, Icelandic Banks, Sub prime, Derivatives, further House price falls, insolvencys of other companies, Government Nationalisation, Takeover........................

........... i could go on and on. ( most people say i do)

Far too many questions, and no answers ( that i know of anyway).

coppercrutch
I'm very surprised, infact stunned to learn that some of the financial whizzes on this site didn't even know that Standard Life had a banking arm.

Tut tut.

Back to school for the lot of you.

;)

Nobody knows everything. I know a little but far more than the average person.

Us financial whizzes are happy to admit that fact. :P

That instantly makes us more worthy to listen to than most of the 'experts' you watch on TV.

:)

Anyway I agree ith what McGee says above. Finanical stocks today are the equavalent of dot.com shares in 2000. Could make a fortune. Could lose a fortune. Fair dos if you jump in head first. However it would make more sense to stick it on the football. At least that usually has some sense behind it. Well unless it involves us....:(

Guest S.U.S.S.
Nobody knows everything. I know a little but far more than the average person.

Us financial whizzes are happy to admit that fact. :P

That instantly makes us more worthy to listen to than most of the 'experts' you watch on TV.

:)

Anyway I agree ith what McGee says above. Finanical stocks today are the equavalent of dot.com shares in 2000. Could make a fortune. Could lose a fortune. Fair dos if you jump in head first. However it would make more sense to stick it on the football. At least that usually has some sense behind it. Well unless it involves us....:(

Exactly, if you cant affoprd to lose it then dont play the game.

Perhaps look at currency markets, there is always a winner there one goes up against another etc etc.

Study the form and play away.

coppercrutch
Exactly, if you cant affoprd to lose it then dont play the game.

Perhaps look at currency markets, there is always a winner there one goes up against another etc etc.

Study the form and play away.

Big and easy money to be made there !! However same goes for the opposite.

I have been told currency trading is classed as 'extremely high risk'. :eek:

Good time to go on holiday to Iceland though. That could be classed as a successful currency trade. :)

Could maybe even get a pint for under a fiver these days. :)

Guest S.U.S.S.
Big and easy money to be made there !! However same goes for the opposite.

I have been told currency trading is classed as 'extremely high risk'. :eek:

Good time to go on holiday to Iceland though. That could be classed as a successful currency trade. :)

Could maybe even get a pint for under a fiver these days. :)

As you say its risky, but more normal factors effect those markets not just people dumping stocks. So if your patient (but still willing to lose the money) then they are good for long term investment. they can obviously still be s short term thing but as its goverments and world economic factors which really move them the short term option is very high risk.

Would you adam and eve it Standard Life getting hammered today, contrary to opinions on here.

I blame the OP :P

robin hood jambo
Standard Life's share price has actually held up remarkably well for a long while now. I think when I last looked there had been little to no movement on it since around mid 2006, it has been at virtually the same price since then.

How the business itself is doing is more difficult to determine, although I believe the amount that it is paying out in relation to compensation relating to complaints has risen substantially over the same period.

Client wise I think Standard Life have a habit of targeting the high earners bracket, and tend to try and avoid high risk business, which may have proven to be to their benefit, especially in relation to the dealings carried out by Standard Life Bank

Dont know about that mate! Id imagine Aegons compensation payments for complaints would rise if a certain Adam Park was to leave!!:)

Incidently has aegons share price not dropped something like 10 euros over the course of the credit crunch?

Guest S.U.S.S.

Id be very surprised if SL compo payouts were increasing in general, its no longer the done thing (now its a PLC) to chuck money at every Tom Dick or Harry who crys cos something is printed too dark or light.

Bomber Harris
Standard Life Bank probably took a lot of deposits from RBS and HBOS, on the other hand their investment arm has a lot of money in RBS and HBOS.( bought HBOS at ?3.27 only weeks ago- ouch! )

Standard Lifes investments in the Scottish Banks looks very poor as dividends will be slashed, and even with improvement will be well below the price they paid for them. They should have jettisoned them ages ago but knowing Standard Life they are probably grimmly holding onto them waiting for a miracle.

In conclusion:- Why get involved in any financial stocks?

They are going to be up and down like a yoyo, you will have no hair left. ( good news one day, bad the next)

There is no transparency in the sector.

Nobody knows who holds the toxic babies, are they exposed to Lehman, Icelandic Banks, Sub prime, Derivatives, further House price falls, insolvencys of other companies, Government Nationalisation, Takeover........................

........... i could go on and on. ( most people say i do)

Far too many questions, and no answers ( that i know of anyway).

Mr McGee, in some cases investment managers have no option to but hold certain stocks - e.g. tracker funds have to hold in proportion to the index they are tracking

Dagger Is Back
He can't be that wise, he let his daughter marry dagger-is-back

You're a cheeky bar steward - I'm gonna crunch you on Sunday!

Archived