Hearts greatest season.......

Debut 4

When was Hearts greatest season?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. When was Hearts greatest season?

• 1957-58
    • 1959-60
    • hard to decide

I was looking over the greatest season book which came out last year and what a record that was.

But, should Hearts greatest season not be the 1959-60 season when we done a League and league cup double?

over to you.

shaun.lawson

Has to be 57/8. The goals scored and and points tallies were just extraordinary (cue Davy to show us how!) - and to anyone reading this who had the pleasure of watching that team, I'm bloody envious!

Robbos Right Peg

If it helps.......................for me (obviously) 57/58 was THE season when Hearts were the best team by a country mile in Scotland and proved it.

Not only that but I am sure they could have given the 'Busby Babes' a good run in Europe had the tragedy not happened and Hearts had a more estute 'manager' (europe wise the next year)

I have researched '59/60 but thats another book and as I said at the end of the first/last one it's for someone else to pick up on. As an incentive Alex Young claims it is a better season.

as an aside the company that published the book asked me if I would be willing to write ' Hibs- Greatest Ever Season' errrrr em as soon as they tell me when it is I am on standby.

Buffalo Bill

It's just a pity we never won it in 58/59; which would have bridged '3 in a row'.

It must have been a great time to be a Hearts supporter.

Buffalo Bill

It's just a pity we never won it in 58/59; which would have bridged '3 in a row'.

Buffalo Bill

i think they were a close second in the gap season, if i have my facts right. 3 in a row would have been nice. it's a pity they weren't able to do a thing in the european cup campaigns subsequent to winning these titles, a 5-1 horsing from standard liege must have come as a shock to the fans of the time.

in more modern day times, 85/86, 97/98 & 05/06 were all great times as well, pretty hard to choose between the 3.

Buffalo Bill

Wonder if they allowed singing in the Diggers back then.

Buffalo Bill
Wonder if they allowed singing in the Diggers back then.

I quiz my (76 year old) father n law all the time about that sort of stuff and he can't remember a bloody thing!

Buffalo Bill

Buffalo Bill
Lets not go into the 58/59 season.......................................

You can't just come out with that!

How come?

You got some bad tales from then?

Buffalo Bill

Robbos Right Peg

How come?

Buffalo Bill

BB you have met some of the boys from 'the good old days' and you should know the 'auld firm' made sure that Glasgow was never not going to be Scotlands answer to Manchester in Europe

Robbos Right Peg
Our greatest ever season has to be 1914-15 for obvious reasons

Really ? So is that Raith Rovers Greatest season as well for instance ?

Robbos Right Peg
take a day off!

who mentioned raith?

not me bawbag

1) I bow to your superior knowledge and of course will take tomorrow off as you suggest

2) I did

3) eloquent (but see above)

4) whooosh thats the sound of this post going over your head obviously

shaun.lawson

How come?

Buffalo Bill

58/9, BB, was what you might term 'typical Hearts'. Think 1986, and 1965. With me yet?

Hearts Heritage
58/9, BB, was what you might term 'typical Hearts'. Think 1986, and 1965. With me yet?

Not quite.

IF Hearts had beaten Celtic they would have won the league as Rangers lost so it was more a case of being the team that didn't sneak up on the outside.

I'd throw this season as a candidate

1895-9601.jpg

Buffalo Bill
BB you have met some of the boys from 'the good old days' and you should know the 'auld firm' made sure that Glasgow was never not going to be Scotlands answer to Manchester in Europe

I thought you were going to tell me there was one table for Scots and another for Lithuanians!

Or maybe one table for Edinburgh lads and another for the Midlothian mob!

Still, nothing a good meal at Bar Roma couldn't sort out. :eek:

Buffalo Bill

scott herbertson
Not quite.

IF Hearts had beaten Celtic they would have won the league as Rangers lost so it was more a case of being the team that didn't sneak up on the outside.

I'd throw this season as a candidate

1895-9601.jpg

Good shout davy

Still voted for 1958 - the goalscoring record alone does it for me. What a joy that must have been to watch.

ps up for the A'deen game but going up on the friday pm

Hearts Heritage
Good shout davy

Still voted for 1958 - the goalscoring record alone does it for me. What a joy that must have been to watch.

ps up for the A'deen game but going up on the friday pm

We're flying up first thing so should be in the Rule about 12:00

Robbos Right Peg
I thought you were going to tell me there was one table for Scots and another for Lithuanians!

Or maybe one table for Edinburgh lads and another for the Midlothian mob!

Still, nothing a good meal at Bar Roma couldn't sort out. :eek:

Buffalo Bill

You know it was a division between cigar and cigarettes in those days and even Dave Mackay had to pay to get into the dancing that night. :)

57-58 season for me

The book is brilliant. I was born in 1962 and I honestly wish I had been born 10-15 years earlier as following the Hearts then must have been absolutely fantastic.

57-58 season for me

The book is brilliant. I was born in 1962 and I honestly wish I had been born 10-15 years earlier as following the Hearts then must have been absolutely fantastic.

Halfway through it and it is scary how many goals we were banging in.I agree that to witness that team in the flesh must have been something.Imagine watching guys like Bauld and Young every other week.I'm going to stop now as i'm torturing myself!:(

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
I quiz my (76 year old) father n law all the time about that sort of stuff and he can't remember a bloody thing!

Buffalo Bill

My dad remembered it all. A regular supporter right though that period; he was at the 1956 cup final as well. And that provides the saddest story of my life. He wanted to take me to the 56 final as well, and my mother wouldn't let him. Reason - I was less than a year old. He tried to explain that I would thank him in years to come (and he was right about that) but no.

Women... they just don't understand....

My dad remembered it all. A regular supporter right though that period; he was at the 1956 cup final as well. And that provides the saddest story of my life. He wanted to take me to the 56 final as well, and my mother wouldn't let him. Reason - I was less than a year old. He tried to explain that I would thank him in years to come (and he was right about that) but no.

Women... they just don't understand....

I know how you feel. After the heartbreak of 86 and thinking I would never see Hearts win anything I gave my Dad pelters for not taking me to the League Cup final 1962 (I was 8 months old). His reply was that if he'd known that would be the last thing we won he would have done.

I got similar pelters from my daughter in 2005 about her not being there in 1998. My excuses of you were only four and had no interest about football were ignored. I was forgiven the following May though :)

I`ll be seeing my Dad at the weekend and i`ll ask his opinion on the subject as he saw it all too.

Obviously if you seen it first hand you can form a far better opinion but personally i think the 1959-60 season must rank better than 58 because of two trophies won?

Aswell, i`m sure the football was just as great as season 1958 and Hearts scored over 100 goals in the league that season too and lost only 3 games.

A good debate.:)

Bomber Harris
Lets not go into the 58/59 season.......................................

what bus were you on that season Michael ;)

Bomber Harris

Buffalo Bill.....

Season 1958/59

Rangers and Hearts both scored and conceeded the same amount of goals therefore on the last day of that season both had identical Goal Averages!!!

On the last day, Hearts needed to beat Celtic at Parkhead and for Aberdeen to beat Rangers at Ibrox for Hearts to edge it and regain the two points that Hearts trailed and overcome the Goal Average.... GUESS WHAT HAPPENED ?

Aberdeen beat Rangers 1-2, Hearts went 0-1 up, celtic equalised in the 2nd half then went 2-1 up after 64 minutes.

The week before, Hearts beat Rangers 2-0 at Tynecastle in front of a small crowd of just over 30.000, i suppose most Hearts fans gave up hope thinking they would get beat, but surprisingly only 20 odd thousand turned up at Parkhead on that last day of the season.

Hearts team that day at Parkhead was...

Gordon Marshall, John McIntosh, John Lough, George Thomson, Jimmy Milne, John Cumming, Bobby Blackwood, Jimmy Murray, Alex Young, Bobby Rankin,and Johnny Hamilton.

SORRY GUYS but as the song goes..........."and if, you know, your history":rolleyes:

Hearts Heritage
....... but surprisingly only 20 odd thousand turned up at Parkhead on that last day of the season....

Not surprising at all. The OF tended to get very 'poor' crowds when they couldn't win things.

Here are Celtic's home league crowds from 1958-59.

AIRDRIEONIANS - 4000

ABERDEEN - 6000

DUNDEE - 7500

KILMARNOCK - 8000

STIRLING ALBION - 13000

DUNFERMLINE ATHLETIC - 14000

PARTICK THISTLE - 15000

QUEEN OF THE SOUTH - 15000

HIBERNIAN - 17000

ST MIRREN - 17000

HEARTS - 19500

CLYDE - 20000

THIRD LANARK - 22000

FALKIRK - 23000

RAITH ROVERS - 30000

MOTHERWELL - 36000

RANGERS - 50000

Hearts were 2nd to Rangers in home average that season.

Hearts Heritage

Hearts were 2nd to Rangers in average crowds for 6 years at the end of the 1950s

1955-56

RANGERS HEARTS

36294 23588

1956-57

RANGERS HEARTS

35888 23882

1957-58

RANGERS HEARTS

30765 24118

1958-59

RANGERS HEARTS

35353 21471

1959-60

RANGERS HEARTS

31501 23059

1960-61

RANGERS HEARTS

35596 20294

Hearts were 2nd to Rangers in average crowds for 6 years at the end of the 1950s

1955-56

RANGERS HEARTS

36294 23588

1956-57

RANGERS HEARTS

35888 23882

1957-58

RANGERS HEARTS

30765 24118

1958-59

RANGERS HEARTS

35353 21471

1959-60

RANGERS HEARTS

31501 23059

1960-61

RANGERS HEARTS

35596 20294

Amazing stats.

Buffalo Bill

An even more amazing stat is that Hearts topped the attendance stats in 1924/25 despite finishing tenth in the league.

Average league gates 1924/25

Hearts 17,500

Rangers 17,263

Hibernian 13,842

Aberdeen 12,684

Dundee 12,132

Partick Thistle 12,105

Celtic 11,000

St. Johnstone 9,895

Queens Park 9,632

Seymour M Hersh

1955-56

RANGERS HEARTS

36294 23588

1956-57

RANGERS HEARTS

35888 23882

1957-58

RANGERS HEARTS

30765 24118

1958-59

RANGERS HEARTS

35353 21471

1959-60

RANGERS HEARTS

31501 23059

1960-61

RANGERS HEARTS

35596 20294

Old guys I know who lived through that golden era for us are adamant that had the board not sold and grabbed cash at every opportunity (same old same old) then we would have been a bigger club than sellik. I've always had my doubts but looking at the above maybe they were not so far wrong.

Old guys I know who lived through that golden era for us are adamant that had the board not sold and grabbed cash at every opportunity (same old same old) then we would have been a bigger club than sellik. I've always had my doubts but looking at the above maybe they were not so far wrong.

My Grandad (when he was here) used to say something similar aswell and my dad held that view too.

It`s obviously hard for younger Hearts fans to really take that in but how can you argue with someone who was there and seen it all?

When Hearts hit their golden era in the 50`s the Supporters must have really thought it would never end. Even for up to a decade and being without a trophy after our 1962 league cup win, the fans must have still been living off the recent glorious past and thinking it would all come good sooner or later.....................fast forward to 1998!!

Bomber Harris

Dave Mackay was sold to Spurs:clubbed: in the March and most if not all Hearts fans blamed the board for cashing in on him and they reckon that this sale cost Hearts the title despite the fact that Hearts didn't loose a game until Parkhead from the transfer date.

Archived