Parking sensors

c9crew

My mother-in-law has just bought a new car (VW Passat) and is wanting to get reverse parking sensors fitted.

Anyone know of any auto electricians that would fit and wire up the sensors for a reasonable price.

Also any opinions on the best sensors to get ?? Was thinking of one of the strips that go on the inside of the bumper rather than having to get holes drilled through the bumper to fit the four sensors across the back.

cheers

No offence to your mother in law but parking sensors are for people who can't park!

Probably why she wants them!

blondejamtart

Jeez, if you can't park the car, you shouldn't be driving the ruddy thing in the first place! I work beside a woman who has the parking sensors on her car (because she can't drive to save herself) and it still makes no difference - looks like it's been parked by a blind man - or maybe even his Labrador!

parking sensors are for people who can't park!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I've got parking sensors. They were fitted to the car as standard.

Arnold Rothstein
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I've got parking sensors. They were fitted to the car as standard.

Have them removed. Makes the driver look incompetent.

What car is it btw?

Have them removed. Makes the driver look incompetent.

What car is it btw?

If I told you what car it is, people would just call me a liar. They're in the bumper so nobody can see them anyway. :)

Arnold Rothstein
If I told you what car it is, people would just call me a liar. They're in the bumper so nobody can see them anyway. :)

I'm intrigued. You'll have to tell me now.

No offence to your mother in law but parking sensors are for people who can't park!

Although I tend to agree with what you are saying your analogy is akin to me complaining about people who have electric windows being lazy or people with sat nav having terrible geography.

Maybe the fact that I have had to fork out hundreds of pounds after the side of my car was scrapped by somebody in a supermarket car park, I think its a good thing that somebody who might not be able to park or has a car with terrible rear visibility, something that is becoming more and more of a problem, wants to get some parking sensors fitted. Its going to aid their driving after all, and might just mean that you wont return to the side of your car being scrapped like I did. :(

Arnold Rothstein
Although I tend to agree with what you are saying your analogy is akin to me complaining about people who have electric windows being lazy or people with sat nav having terrible geography.

Maybe the fact that I have had to fork out hundreds of pounds after the side of my car was scrapped by somebody in a supermarket car park, I think its a good thing that somebody who might not be able to park or has a car with terrible rear visibility, something that is becoming more and more of a problem, wants to get some parking sensors fitted. Its going to aid their driving after all, and might just mean that you wont return to the side of your car being scrapped like I did. :(

Fair point. I'm probably just being miserable! I have however found stray trolleys more of a menace in supermarket car parks!

A guy I used to work with told me that his mother used to drive into their local town and if she couldn't find a parking space which was easy to get into, she would drive home and then get a bus back to town!

blondejamtart

I wish the woman I work beside would get the bus everywhere - she drives a tiny wee Suzuki which most folk would be able to park without any difficulty whatsoever, yes she takes up enough space for a bus and still manages to park it squint!

(Mind you, she also seems to think that the white lines in the middle of the road have been very kindly put there as a guide for her to drive along...)

Fair point. I'm probably just being miserable! I have however found stray trolleys more of a menace in supermarket car parks!

My car is silver and the trolley must have been dark green, :( anyway these things happen and to answer the OP am sorry I cant help you, although I do believe you can get the sensors in a kit form and most bumpers are pre marked for where to drill the holes so you could probably do it yourself and earn some brownie points.

My old car had the ultimate parking sensor.

A tow bar.

Trust me there are few things more effective at damage avoidance than a tow bar fitted to a ton and a half of old Mercedes. Reverse until you feel a bump then move forward 6 inches. Perfectly parked.

Was that the car you were driving on friday?

My car is silver and the trolley must have been dark green, :( anyway these things happen and to answer the OP am sorry I cant help you, although I do believe you can get the sensors in a kit form and most bumpers are pre marked for where to drill the holes so you could probably do it yourself and earn some brownie points.

Thanks for that mate, I've looked at various kits but unfortunately the bumper on her car isn't pre marked so I dont fancy trying it myself.

Also the whole grounding this wire and connecting this one to the reverse lights etc is beyond me. I'll end up connecting to the rev counter or something :)

Been quoted ?70 so far but going to try a few other places and see if they can beat that price.

Archived