Banks that are safe?

Uberjambo

After the Icelandic collapse are foreign banks such as ING safe options? Hopefully someone has a positive answer before I take my money out.

if you've got less than ?50k its safe in UK banks (?100k for joint accounts).

if you've got more then transfer the excess into a different UK bank and you get the same guarantees again. (Plus 5% for my advice)

ING Direct is:

* Regulated by the Financial Services Authority for the conduct of UK business and as a Dutch bank, is authorised by De Nederlandsche Bank.

* A subscriber to the UK Banking Code. Copies of the code are available on request, or from http://www.bba.org.uk.

* We are covered by the Dutch Investor Compensation Scheme. Click here for more information.

* Under the scheme our customers receive ?100,000 (?77,700 approximately) of protection per person.

http://www.ingdirect.co.uk/general/about/

coppercrutch

Nationwide & HSBC are tow of the 'safest' big ones. However none are truly are fully safe. That is the whole problem.

You want Northern Rock or NS and I to have the best protection.

First Direct could be seeing a bit more of my dough.

Part of HSBC.

Guest S.U.S.S.
Nationwide & HSBC are tow of the 'safest' big ones. However none are truly are fully safe. That is the whole problem.

You want Northern Rock or NS and I to have the best protection.

RBS would have been on that list just a few days ago.

Noone is safe, the spivs are coming, the spivs are coming!

If its savings invest it in government bonds

If its money you need access too, then northern rock and the irish banks are your best bets but northern rock have been turning folk away due to the rules behind their nationalisation

HSBC saw problems looming and dealt with them early - like years ago. That's reflected in their relative market stability. Nothing's a safe haven, but as close as you'll get from the standard banks.

The Post Office use the Bank of Ireland. I believe the Irish Govt guaranteed all savings, no ?5o,ooo limit.

If a major Irish Bank went down I think the Eire Government would struggle to cover all the depositors. Everything in life has some risk attached and imo the bigger countries, like the UK, are more likely to honour their guarantees.

coppercrutch
If a major Irish Bank went down I think the Eire Government would struggle to cover all the depositors. Everything in life has some risk attached and imo the bigger countries, like the UK, are more likely to honour their guarantees.

All the bank guarantees are pretty much pants if a biggie or two goes down.

However the Irish 'guarantee' takes the mick. Pardon the pun. :)

Irish deposits are circa 3X GDP IIRC.

Their 'unlimited guarantee' has as much point as a Hobo cup final ticket.

Archived