Running or Cycling

Konrad von Carstein

Konrad von Carstein

Which is best for building up stamina and losing weight (not neccesarily in that order :P)

stopped gym membership bout 6 months ago and have been piling on the pounds, went for a run last night and ran not even half the distance in a time I wouldve been able to do 6 months ago. Was also fekin dying when I got home.

Need some tips...~i know im in for a couple of months of torture in any event:o

Do both mate. Cycling is less impact on the knees and ankles but running is still good.

jamboinglasgow

I used to do alot of running, but this summer to get my fitness up for the new rowing season I cycled alot with a heart rate monitor. Think running builds your fitness more, while cycling builds alot more muscle lower body (which was what I needed.)

Konrad von Carstein

Not long back from cycling along the canal from Longstone to near to Ratho and back. Ticking along at a fair lick, less *ahem* exhausted than after last nights run but still goosed nonetheless.

Am thinking cycling to get the lungs and heart aware of how they are supposed to work interspersed with a run before changing the emphasis round.

Thanks to those who responded.

jamboinglasgow
Not long back from cycling along the canal from Longstone to near to Ratho and back. Ticking along at a fair lick, less *ahem* exhausted than after last nights run but still goosed nonetheless.

Am thinking cycling to get the lungs and heart aware of how they are supposed to work interspersed with a run before changing the emphasis round.

Thanks to those who responded.

something that annoyed me when cycling which stopped me from getting a perfect work out is that there were not enough areas in edinburgh where you could get a fast cycle without being a problem for other pedestrians. The north edinburgh cycle route was perfect for this but I covered most of it in 15 mins. The canal when paved between the basin and wester hailes was good but there are alot of dog walkers.

Konrad von Carstein
something that annoyed me when cycling which stopped me from getting a perfect work out is that there were not enough areas in edinburgh where you could get a fast cycle without being a problem for other pedestrians. The north edinburgh cycle route was perfect for this but I covered most of it in 15 mins. The canal when paved between the basin and wester hailes was good but there are alot of dog walkers.

Yeah, i know what you mean but tonights weather meant there were very few people about. Apart from a couple of basball cap wearing oiks walking a "i'm hard" dog which for a moment looked like it was goin to take a jump at me, dog not on leash....obviously:mad:

Archived