Maybury return to Hearts a possibility

maroonlegions

maroonlegions

Maybury return to Hearts a possibility

ADVERTISEMENT

Published Date: 07 October 2008

By BARRY ANDERSON:rolleyes::rolleyes:

ALAN MAYBURY today admitted he would love to rejoin Hearts as the club's manager Csaba Laszlo revealed a move for the experienced full-back is not out of the question.

Maybury, 30, has been training at Riccarton for the past week after a potential move to Crystal Palace collapsed. He became a free agent upon leaving Aberdeen in May and is presently examining options in both Scotland and England.

The Irish internationalist spent four years with Hearts between 2001 and 2005 before defecting to join Craig Levein at Leicester City. He told the Evening News that a return to Tynecastle would appeal strongly.

Laszlo is impressed by his ability and attitude to training but will discuss any impending move with Anatoli Korobochka, Hearts' sport director, and majority shareholder Vladimir Romanov before a final decision is made.

Maybury said: "I spoke to Mikey Stewart after talking to Crystal Palace and he spoke to the manager about me training there. They invited me in and we'll see if anything happens further down the line. I loved my time at Hearts and to go back would be great. My agent is speaking to a few other clubs at the same time.

"I still know one or two of the Hearts boys and I'm grateful to get to use the facilities at Riccarton. I need to keep my fitness up until someone says 'you'll do for me'. Hopefully that happens soon."

Maybury's name has been mentioned to the Hearts hierarchy and, as a free agent, he is not bound by transfer window regulations. Laszlo commented: "At the moment, it is not a question for me whether Alan will come in the team or not. Maybe in the winter break, when the transfer window is open, we will see what we can do.

"We must have a concrete plan and this plan must be between me and the club. The owner and the club must make a decision so I'm not thinking about this.

"Alan is training with us and maybe one time we can talk about him. If a player asks me to train with my team to maintain his fitness I think it's important to keep a relationship with him. You never know, maybe in the future we will talk about Alan."

Maybury also trained with Levein's Dundee United recently but is not keen to wait until the New Year to secure a contract. He continued: "This situation has dragged on for a lot longer than I wanted. I need to get back playing as quickly as possible.

"I was at the Hearts game on Saturday but so far I've only trained with them. I just want to get my future sorted quickly.

Well , could do a job for us but not much to go on in the above article .:rolleyes:

It would be typical Hearts if they don't sign him, struggling for a right-back and left-back, Maybury plays both, he's an international player, he's been at Hearts before, he's not contracted to anyone, he's fit (unlike many of our own players), i don't see what harm it can do to take him, at least until January, see what he adds to the team (commitment for one!) and take it from there. If they don't, someone else will step in, get a decent player and all because Hearts, as per usual, do nothing about it.

Remnants of Standards
i'd get maybury in and play him left back against the hobos

left back?! interesting, but some game to come in for your first one back. Probably still better than Wallace though (on current form). He would need to start at right back, why Johnnson is there is anyone's guess. Reminded me of Ibby Tall in midfield that decision.

Guest jambomickey
left back?! interesting, but some game to come in for your first one back. Probably still better than Wallace though (on current form). He would need to start at right back, why Johnnson is there is anyone's guess. Reminded me of Ibby Tall in midfield that decision.

maybury played left back under levein mate

Say What Again
Laszlo commented: "At the moment, it is not a question for me whether Alan will come in the team or not. Maybe in the winter break, when the transfer window is open, we will see what we can do.

I don't understand that part above.

Is he still talking about Maybury? While wait until the transfer window is open? Maybury is a free agent and can sign for anyone now.

Is he still talking about Maybury? While wait until the transfer window is open? Maybury is a free agent and can sign for anyone now.

I get the impression that until we ship a few out no-one will be coming in (that includes a freebie who would be on smallish wages) - hence Jan before we can do business.

Remnants of Standards

no, you're right mate, faintly remember Alan chopping Lennon to bits during a scottish cup 3-0 reverse at tynie, playing in that position. everyone saw it coming apart from the ginger one, and the Wheatfield saw fit to stay silent too tsk tsk. Seem to remember he got a standing ovation as he walked after the red card!

Guest jambomickey
I get the impression that until we ship a few out no-one will be coming in (that includes a freebie who would be on smallish wages) - hence Jan before we can do business.

surely the likes of makela and beslija are nearing the end of there contracts? it must be a scandal what those pair have taken for nothing in return

Yes but he's good enough to play right-back, it is his natural position, at the moment, i'd rather take a midfielder out from a full-back area and play someone who knows that position and struggle on with Wallace at left-back, seeing as we've no-one else. What position does Rapnik play again? If it's left-back, drop Wallace and gie the guy a game.

Destruction Derby
no, you're right mate, faintly remember Alan chopping Lennon to bits during a scottish cup 3-0 reverse at tynie, playing in that position. everyone saw it coming apart from the ginger one, and the Wheatfield saw fit to stay silent too tsk tsk. Seem to remember he got a standing ovation as he walked after the red card!

Is tht the game he got sent off and went off the pitch to a rousing reception, get him in and the same again will do me nicely for Ratboy.

Yes but he's good enough to play right-back, it is his natural position, at the moment, i'd rather take a midfielder out from a full-back area and play someone who knows that position and struggle on with Wallace at left-back, seeing as we've no-one else. What position does Rapnik play again? If it's left-back, drop Wallace and gie the guy a game.

Not having a go at you mate, but im getting a bit miffed at the amount of people complaining (more forcefully than you mind!) that playing a midfielder at right back is nonsense. Anyone remember a young lad who was a fantastic right back at this club called Gary Locke??

He was a central mid player till he got moved to right back. Gio Van Bronkhurst (sp?), centre mid, moved to left back. It happens all the time - Eggo has ALL the qualities to be a top fullback. Real football isnt like Champ Man, players dont have black and white positions and we shouldnt get too hung up on them.

I think hearts should defo take the oppertunity to sign maybury. He was a good player for us and he done pretty good for the sheepshaggers last season.. Plus we could do with a good right back, or even play him left back and get wallace to ****..

surely the likes of makela and beslija are nearing the end of there contracts? it must be a scandal what those pair have taken for nothing in return

Efforts are currently taking place to remove a few players in Jan - the wage thiefs amongst them a priority. I would also expect a saleable player to go aka Kingston (inho).

the jambo poet

I believe that was against the Huns and in particular Neil McCann....!! ...

I think Csaba means that he was to play with what he's got until the transfer window opens ....and any out of contract players that come our way...would be upto Vlad to finance...and I would suggest Csaba hedging his bets with regards to quotes...not saying directly he wants the player in case Vlad says no

hearts_crazy

How about this for a theory. The article was written by Barry Anderson, reknowned for writing utter pish about Hearts, he made most of it up, he made up this 'quote' from Csaba, but forgot what he had written so it doesn't tie up with the true bit of the report.

RIGHT BACK!!!!! We need someone in there now. Thomson is pi5h and neilson is a long way from full fitness!! Obua can take wallace's place!

Hearts are not Alans first choice team. He's still looking for an English club but as I have said before, he could still end up here.

Say What Again
How about this for a theory. The article was written by Barry Anderson, reknowned for writing utter pish about Hearts, he made most of it up, he made up this 'quote' from Csaba, but forgot what he had written so it doesn't tie up with the true bit of the report.

It makes perfect sense now HC :P

Good boost for the derby and the team if maybury was to sign short term.

The fullback positions have been our problem for a while.

Along with a lack of experience.

Maybury covers both of these bases.

maroonlegions
I don't see what any of this has to do with the upcoming armaggedon. Poor show, ML.

What, Armageddon you mean:rolleyes:, tut ,tut, poor show on the spelling of it but what would you call a WW3 , nice day out at the beach ;), bigger chances of it happening than the hobos winning the big cup don't you think.:107years:

Frankenstein Jambo.

red in the metro today that he would jump at the chance of coming back after being impressed with shabba

maroonlegions
red in the metro today that he would jump at the chance of coming back after being impressed with shabba

Good, we have nothing to lose ,he is on a FREE and would add experience and WORK RATE , go on vlad put a smile on our faces.:)

Good, we have nothing to lose ,he is on a FREE and would add experience and WORK RATE , go on vlad put a smile on our faces.:)

If Csaba recommends it and Vlad ratifies it you can bet your like that the usual crew on this board will regard it as catastrophic news !

Oh, sorry, must use the latest adopted conventions.

If Lazlo recommends it and Romanov ratifies it . . etc

maroonlegions
If Csaba recommends it and Vlad ratifies it you can bet your like that the usual crew on this board will regard it as catastrophic news !

Oh, sorry, must use the latest adopted conventions.

If Lazlo recommends it and Romanov ratifies it . . etc

The usual crew:), true , right now i cant see how anyone can be happy with Wallace and think that Maybury would offer less in work rate, experience and skill but each to his/her own eh.:cool:

The usual crew:), true , right now i cant see how anyone can be happy with Wallace and think that Maybury would offer less in work rate, experience and skill but each to his/her own eh.:cool:

Sorry ML did mean mean to say Maybury would offer LESS in terms of experience etc than Wallace ? Think it's gone over my head :)

maroonlegions
Sorry ML did mean mean to say Maybury would offer LESS in terms of experience etc than Wallace ? Think it's gone over my head :)

feck,:eek: no not less, MORE , SORRY got that wrong there , Maybury would offer more in work rate and experience than Wallace, there, pew, confusing my self there but its been one of those days.:eek:

i'd get maybury in and play him left back against the hobos

I'd give Maybury a free role, along with Mikey Stewart and let them kickass!!!

i'm willing to guess its because he's a talented young footballer well capable of playing the position at a time when the alternative is a young kid who reminds me of a slower (lol) Robbie Nielson with red hair and without the long throw in.

Not having a go at you mate, but im getting a bit miffed at the amount of people complaining (more forcefully than you mind!) that playing a midfielder at right back is nonsense. Anyone remember a young lad who was a fantastic right back at this club called Gary Locke??

He was a central mid player till he got moved to right back. Gio Van Bronkhurst (sp?), centre mid, moved to left back. It happens all the time - Eggo has ALL the qualities to be a top fullback. Real football isnt like Champ Man, players dont have black and white positions and we shouldnt get too hung up on them.

I know what your saying mate but my worry is that someone like Jonsson is too inexperienced to play there at this moment in time. It might be ok against another team but remember, Riordan will likely be his direct opponent and that wee scroat will try anything possible to get by him, looking for fouls, free kicks and trying to get him sent off, you know yourself how refereeing is these days, i don't know how he'll cope with that, after all, he got sent off in his last game. As for your point on Gary Locke, he was played as a wing-back in a five-man midfield more often than not, where he and Pointon or Naysmith on the left for example, could get forward knowing there was a 3-man defence behind them, usually Weir, McPherson and Ritchie (or McManus). Hearts, at the moment are playing some stupid formation and using Jonsson as an out-and-out right-back, you get past him or Wallace, your exposing your 2 centre-halves and let's face it, they're not the greatest Defenders we've ever had, but for all that, i know what your saying.

Archived