Haymarket Memorial - Important Update

Jack Alexander

Jack Alexander

The newspapers will shortly report that the Council has agreed to return the Heart of Midlothian War Memorial to Haymarket after the completion of any necessary work on the Tramway.

It would appear, therefore, that the Atholl Crescent proposal (which originated from a small group of Council officials) has now been consigned to the bin. Contrary to some reports, this proposal was indeed a permanent one. We have the document to prove it. The temporary element was no more than a 'wooden horse' to get folk used to the idea.

The rapid formation of the 'Friends of the Heart of Midlothian War Memorial' and the equally rapid mobilisation of public opinion against the officials' plan seems to have worked.

However, several important issues remain to be decided.

The first of these is the period that the Memorial will be absent from the junction. In the opinion of the Friends, the Football Club and (I suspect) the majority of supporters, the proposed two-year spell in 'storage' is unjustifiable. Disrespectful, even.

At our recent meeting with TIE, we (the MB Trust) were told that the Ryrie's proposal was no longer on the table (never really was, in fact) because it was tied to the (uncertain) funding for the redevelopment of the railway station.

We will now seek discussion with the Council on a way to 'extricate' the Ryrie plan from the railway proposals. We earnestly believe that the Ryrie's option (which returns the memorial to a spot within yards of its original site) is by far the best home. At this point in time, when TIE are about to embark on the engineering of the junction, it would seem sensible to incorporate the Memorial's final 'resting place' in that layout.

If it turns out that there is some kind of funding defecit, we propose to mount a public campaign throughout Scotland to raise the necessary monies for foundations and landscaping, so the the Heart of Midlothian clocktower can return to a site worthy of its unique and incredible history. They did it in 1921/22. We can certainly do it again.

In the mean time, I would urge you all to turn out on Sunday 9 November for what could be the last Remembrance service at Haymarket for an indeterminate while.

Thank you to everyone who has supported us thus far. We intend to keep up the pressure. In fact we will continue to do so until we see the Memorial return to the junction permanently.

Well done Jack. Keep up the sterling work you are doing. Keep us posted regarding the fundraising. Will be glad to donate to this.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Well done Jack and everyone else involved.

Shame on the tubes at the planners for even considering this travesty in the first place.

Great Jack. I'm really chuffed about this.

Lets hope we can accomplish succcess with these other matters as well.

peebles jambo

well done, jack

2 years is too long though,

hope you manage to get something sorted

these brave men should never be forgotten

WorldChampions1902

Well done Jack!

Yet again, your persistence has paid off, not that I had any doubts for one moment. And if a funding deficit ultimately does require plugging in order to support the re-siting at Haymarket, I'm sure the 'Hearts Family' will play their part in ensuring such monies become available.

Not to mention the contributions I'm sure supporters from all other clubs associated with the memorial would be happy to make.

I shall keep an eye on developments with great interest and you can count on my support.

Guest juvehearts
Well done Jack!

Yet again, your persistence has paid off, not that I had any doubts for one moment. And if a funding deficit ultimately does require plugging in order to support the re-siting at Haymarket, I'm sure the 'Hearts Family' will play their part in ensuring such monies become available.

Not to mention the contributions I'm sure supporters from all other clubs associated with the memorial would be happy to make.

I shall keep an eye on developments with great interest and you can count on my support.

couldnt av put it better myself.

well done, the hearts family is behind you all the way.

Congratulations to everyone connected with the campaign. Keep up the good fight gentlemen, and ladies, as I have a feeling there will be more battles to face in this war.

..........I'm sure supporters from all other clubs associated with the memorial would be happy to make.

There are no other Clubs associated with the Haymsrket War Memorial. It was errected by the people of Edinbugh to commemorate the Players, Officials, and Supporters of Heart of Midlothian Football Club who fell in The Great War.

I suspect you are thinking of "McRae's Battalion" which did indeed contain others from other Clubs like Hibs, Raith, and Falkirk. They are all commemorated by the War Memorial at Contalmasion in France which Jack Alexander has worked so hard to help raise funds for.

Excellent result. With the way support was quickly mobilised here by Jack and Uly, it was never really in doubt.

Well done to Jack and all involved.

Here's hoping for a big turnout on Remeberance Sunday before the clock disappears out of sight (although not mind).

"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." As a famous man once said in 1942.

Let's be watchful...

Guest zeeko1

Just out of interest re what I accept is probably a sensitive subject (I don't know Edinburgh all that well, so please excuse my ignorance), but given that it is a Hearts war memorial would this not be an opportunity to move it to Tynecastle stadium? I'd have thought it would add a real presence outside the ground. Or is the club's long-term future at Tynecastle still a matter of some debate (in which case it the memorial would obviously be better elsewhere)?

Archived