Under 19s

Marooned In Oz

Marooned In Oz

I just thought I'd start a positive thread admist the negativity seen on the board lately.

Well done to the under 19s, playing very,very good football and in particular the wee right back (number 2 in Dundee united game) bombing up and down the right flank beating players and generally just getting stuck in.

In addition, well done heartsfc.co.uk for getting these highlights up for us punters to see.

Now, we can get back to the topics at hand (Ksanivicius gtf wage thiefs ect)

doin not too bad sitting third in the league just now, the hobo *******'s are sittin top though cant be havin that.

I just thought I'd start a positive thread admist the negativity seen on the board lately.

Well done to the under 19s, playing very,very good football and in particular the wee right back (number 2 in Dundee united game) bombing up and down the right flank beating players and generally just getting stuck in.

In addition, well done heartsfc.co.uk for getting these highlights up for us punters to see.

Now, we can get back to the topics at hand (Ksanivicius gtf wage thiefs ect)

For me, this is a wee* sign that things are improving within the overall set up, it was always a bit of a worry that we knew we had good players but that we were only winning half the games. A well performing u19 team means good players start coming through to the reserves and beyond.

Some good play too.

Anyone watching the u17s?

*Disclaimer: does not mean everything is rosy but does indicate improvement

Jam Tarts 1874

Just watched the high-lights. Some excellent football in what looked like quite difficult (high wind) conditions. The younger players in the reserves have been looking pretty good this season too. I just wish Csaba was not so paranoid about the average age in the first team and had a serious look at some of these younger guys.

I seem to remember messrs Robertson, MacKay and Bowman all being pretty young when McDonald built a team around them.

Just watched the high-lights. Some excellent football in what looked like quite difficult (high wind) conditions. The younger players in the reserves have been looking pretty good this season too. I just wish Csaba was not so paranoid about the average age in the first team and had a serious look at some of these younger guys.

I seem to remember messrs Robertson, MacKay and Bowman all being pretty young when McDonald built a team around them.

I think that he is right here though.

If Elliot had been allowed to develop further in the reserves or on loan at a club in the first or second division then I'm sure that he would have turned into a player who, now would be coming through to the first team, instead of one we have got used to watching with dread in maroon.

Everyone is shouting for Glen just now - and truth be told, so am I - but I'm not a football manager, if I was then maybe I would want to have him on the bench for a while yet.

When a player is ready then he should get his chance, but we have all seen how this works well with Eggy and Driver, but not so with Elliot and Mole.

I reckon you have to be working with these lads every day to make the right call.

One thing about Glen though, unlike Thomson, for example, is that if a defender makes the odd mistake, he will get stick, but if a striker makes mistakes then he gets crucified pitch side.

I think we need a regularly winning u19 side and a regularly winning reserves to build the confidence for the step up too - somewhere to retreat the players to if things don't work right away and where they can rebuild the confidence.

Jam Tarts 1874
I think that he is right here though.

If Elliot had been allowed to develop further in the reserves or on loan at a club in the first or second division then I'm sure that he would have turned into a player who, now would be coming through to the first team, instead of one we have got used to watching with dread in maroon.

Everyone is shouting for Glen just now - and truth be told, so am I - but I'm not a football manager, if I was then maybe I would want to have him on the bench for a while yet.

When a player is ready then he should get his chance, but we have all seen how this works well with Eggy and Driver, but not so with Elliot and Mole.

I reckon you have to be working with these lads every day to make the right call.

One thing about Glen though, unlike Thomson, for example, is that if a defender makes the odd mistake, he will get stick, but if a striker makes mistakes then he gets crucified pitch side.

I think we need a regularly winning u19 side and a regularly winning reserves to build the confidence for the step up too - somewhere to retreat the players to if things don't work right away and where they can rebuild the confidence.

Nurturing young players is fine. However if your more experienced players are constantly mis-firing I think it makes sense to bring in one or two of the better prospects. Not just to give them a chance, but it also sends out a message to those regulars who are not performing.

Charlie-Brown

For long enough we had no players in their twenties apart from Walter Kidd and Henry Smith, it was teenage kids like Bowman, MacKay & Robbo and loadsa veterans well into their thirties.

Nurturing young players is fine. However if your more experienced players are constantly mis-firing I think it makes sense to bring in one or two of the better prospects. Not just to give them a chance, but it also sends out a message to those regulars who are not performing.

It's a tough call - Elliot failed to make it in the first team and now Mole is getting it tight too for failing to score. How many matches would Glen get before the boo-boys turn on him too?

A poorly performing team is not one that you should freshen up with youth. We have more experienced players such as Palazuelos who should be brought in to get the ball down and start us playing football again. To me it looks like the Airdrie defeat really knocked the stuffing out of the team confidence-wise...

jamboinglasgow
For me, this is a wee* sign that things are improving within the overall set up, it was always a bit of a worry that we knew we had good players but that we were only winning half the games. A well performing u19 team means good players start coming through to the reserves and beyond.

Some good play too.

Anyone watching the u17s?

*Disclaimer: does not mean everything is rosy but does indicate improvement

that for me is showing that what Csaba is doing is alot more than the first team. To be fair to him its hard to get good results from some of the dross we have available in the first team and the young team means we cant risk throwing more youngsters in just yet. But the work done in the U19s and reserves should mean that when they do come in they will be best prepared for the jump.

The U19s this year are playing good quality football in a stable team which doesn't change every week except maybe one or two due to suspensions or injuries. That makes a world of difference. They are getting a winning streak going that while not essential in U19 games as it is more about development than results is great as it builds a winning mentaity.

These things are what makes me want the fans to give Csaba at least a season and a half, he can only do with what he has at the moment but I think he will bring in experenced players in January to help young players in the team and as such help them grow. Losing two games in a row is not pleasent but if the work done now means that a great team can be built up for the next few seasons then I can take that.

Also the number 2 Maroon in oz is talking about is Craig Thomson, one of a few really promising players in the U19s.

Charlie-Brown

Haven't seen Scott Robinson name on the team-sheets for a few weeks - is he injured? Same for Copil?

Something which concerns me about hearts is we seem to have a young guy on the bench quite a bit then he dissapears for 12 months again

Take McGowan, last season on the bench, this season nowhere to be seen, the same with Eggert the season before

Yes you need to nurture youth but in reality most of the best players start to play semi regularly, at least at this level around 18/9.

Very few players although there are exceptions come through at 22/3

As far as I can see if the likes of Mcgowan, visconte etc are to make it we should be able to fire them on against the likes of Killie and see something

Now for me Elliot and Mole whilst underpeforming have done enough at there relartivly young ages to prove they have what it takes and done enough to justify being nurtured slowly

We do need to get rid of our deadweight a lot sooner though, imo players like mackle, devine and controversially branny and copil have shown nothing to suggest they will be anywhere near good enough and we should cut our losses and use their reserve places for youth that might

Yes the odd player might be lost but that is football, unless your a man utd team you cant afford to have 40-50 youths on the books

jamboinglasgow
Haven't seen Scott Robinson name on the team-sheets for a few weeks - is he injured? Same for Copil?

I was wondering the same, i thought he did really well last season so surely would be playing for the U19s. Maybe he is playing for the U17s.

Think someone said last week that copil was injured.

that for me is showing that what Csaba is doing is alot more than the first team. To be fair to him its hard to get good results from some of the dross we have available in the first team and the young team means we cant risk throwing more youngsters in just yet. But the work done in the U19s and reserves should mean that when they do come in they will be best prepared for the jump.

The U19s this year are playing good quality football in a stable team which doesn't change every week except maybe one or two due to suspensions or injuries. That makes a world of difference. They are getting a winning streak going that while not essential in U19 games as it is more about development than results is great as it builds a winning mentaity.

These things are what makes me want the fans to give Csaba at least a season and a half, he can only do with what he has at the moment but I think he will bring in experenced players in January to help young players in the team and as such help them grow. Losing two games in a row is not pleasent but if the work done now means that a great team can be built up for the next few seasons then I can take that.

Also the number 2 Maroon in oz is talking about is Craig Thomson, one of a few really promising players in the U19s.

I remember seeing Man Utd against Notts Forrest years ago when MU had wrapped up the title before this particular game had kicked off, before the start they trotted out all of their teams from 11s upwards - all parading silverware, 17s, 19s etc - and I thought "that's how you build a wiining mentality in a club rather than just in a team"

Of course I think development is the main thing, but winning games gives them belief and that, I think, often makes the difference between nearly rans to senior players.

jamboinglasgow
I remember seeing Man Utd against Notts Forrest years ago when MU had wrapped up the title before this particular game had kicked off, before the start they trotted out all of their teams from 11s upwards - all parading silverware, 17s, 19s etc - and I thought "that's how you build a wiining mentality in a club rather than just in a team"

Of course I think development is the main thing, but winning games gives them belief and that, I think, often makes the difference between nearly rans to senior players.

of course winning is great and helps build a winning mentailty but I would argue there are two ways of winning. One is playing good football that allows player to use his skill and brain to win a game which can be transferred to the first team well. Then there is the other which is the out muscle players and very physical as at the age there are lesser physical developed guys who you can push off the ball.

I would want the U19s to win by the former rather than result to the latter just to win. It may sound odd but if you outplay a team at this level but due to their physicalness (is that a word?) in a game they managed to stop you scoring and win due to a lucky goal, I would not be hard on the boys as they have tried to win the right way which will help them more when they grow more.

Watched the highlights and it was good to see the U19s winning with great passing, moving and posistioning.

Charlie-Brown
of course winning is great and helps build a winning mentailty but I would argue there are two ways of winning. One is playing good football that allows player to use his skill and brain to win a game which can be transferred to the first team well. Then there is the other which is the out muscle players and very physical as at the age there are lesser physical developed guys who you can push off the ball.

I would want the U19s to win by the former rather than result to the latter just to win. It may sound odd but if you outplay a team at this level but due to their physicalness (is that a word?) in a game they managed to stop you scoring and win due to a lucky goal, I would not be hard on the boys as they have tried to win the right way which will help them more when they grow more.

Watched the highlights and it was good to see the U19s winning with great passing, moving and posistioning.

'Physicality' is the word you are looking for jamboinglasgow.......I remember watching Football Italia on C4 when Gianluca Vialla said that he was leaving Series A & the reason he wanted to play in UK football & he'd 'enjoyed' the physicality when he'd played against British teams in Europe.

Jam Tarts 1874
'Physicality' is the word you are looking for jamboinglasgow.......I remember watching Football Italia on C4 when Gianluca Vialla said that he was leaving Series A & the reason he wanted to play in UK football & he'd 'enjoyed' the physicality when he'd played against British teams in Europe.

Anything can become a word, our language is fluid and changes all the time.

Bouncebackability was a great example. Maybe JKB should try and invent a word that can find it's way into the mainstream.

Charlie-Brown

Bouncebackability was a great example. Maybe JKB should try and invent a word that can find it's way into the mainstream.

Just where do you begin JT1874 ..... I completely agree but how can you persuade individuals otherwise? Either words mean something & have a shared common context or they don't ?

anyway Nemo me impune lacessit . :)

Csability - having a propensity to talk at length on any subject with great sucksiss.

Archived