Salmond............

coppercrutch

coppercrutch

This man was apparently an economist for Shell. He is currently in charge of the Scottish Government.

OIL PRICES:

http://www.snp.org/node/13896

Mr Salmond also argued that current prices strengthen the case for an oil fund, and Alberta's example showed this could be done without independence.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12400801/

"Oil drops below $90 as financial woes spread"

SPIVS AND SPECULATORS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7621153.stm

"I am very angry that we can have a situation where a bank can be forced into a merger by basically a bunch of short-selling spivs and speculators in the financial markets," SALMOND

http://uk.reuters.com/article/hotStocksNews/idUKL652522920081006

"The downgrade emerged as RBS shares closed down 20.5 percent at 146 pence, their lowest close since 1997."

For a guy whose every second post is 'I told you all this 9mths ago' why don't you get yourself elected and sort it out? You'd be old Geeg Brown's wet dream I'm sure.

"Coppercrutch Saves Economy" must already have a print run underway ;)

coppercrutch
You do know he's a jambo ?

I had heard that.....

For a guy whose every second post is 'I told you all this 9mths ago' why don't you get yourself elected and sort it out? You'd be old Geeg Brown's wet dream I'm sure.

"Coppercrutch Saves Economy" must already have a print run underway ;)

Would hate to be part of all that.

I am simply pointing out that Salmond isn't exactly painting a good picture of his economic grasp. He is supposed to be one by profession. Many people hang on every word that he says and think that he is some sort of genius.

As I have stated before I simply think he 'talks a good talk' but is rather simple underneath all that bravado.

I think if you look a little under the surface this becomes rather more obvious.

coppercrutch
I thought he was Chief Economist at RBS prior to entering politics. Never heard of the Shell link.

Nah pretty sure it was Shell. I am sure wikipedia can help !!

It was the RBS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_salmond#Royal_Bank_Of_Scotland

And while on the subject, there arent too many economists looking great just now whether that be Salmond or Big Jeff from round the corner.

Of course, you not being an economist means you cant say I am....:P

A big ooops there then eh? Gettin' yer facts wrong about a guy you say is gettin' his facts wrong. Ah, the ironing ;)

I was,

and am still not an SNP supporter, however i am no lover of the current Labour Government, and i have not yet forgiven the tories for the poll tax, and would never vote green because i am maroon.

I was however thinking the SNP had a serious chance of winning independence. This would be monumental and the UK would never be the same again.

Scotland could run its own affairs because it had a robust and strong economy built on whisky, oil and most importantly the financial sector.

The easiest way to stuff independence is to prove that the Scottish economy has no chance of being self sufficient.

Step forward HBOS and RBS.

Where do i get this paranoid, non sencicle claptrap from?

Beggered if i know!

The Mighty Thor
This man was apparently an economist for Shell. He is currently in charge of the Scottish Government.

Ah well CC one out of two ain't bad.

On the oil price point, Salmond made his comments when oil was running at USD$160+ per barrel and the forecasts were for prices to break through USD$200 per barrel by early 2009. The oil price drop to USD$90 per barrel was yesterday and that was precipitated by acute global financial conditions.

Same with your RBS anaolgy.

I'm missing what you are trying to say. Greater economists than Salmond have been caught out by the ferocity and the speed of the current financial turmoil.

Did you know he's a Jambo? :)

coppercrutch

So he was an economist at RBS rather than Shell - the point still remains !!

He was an oil economist at RBS - that is how I got mixed up.

You see what I have done there ? ADMITTED I WAS WRONG.

Let's see if the illustrious leader can do the same. I doubt it….

Yes many economists have been shown to be very wrong with what is going on. My point being Salmond is not one of the few who has actually proved he knows something about this situation. There are quite a few out there who have been seeing this coming for many years.

Does that not worry anyone else ? SNP supporter or not.

I am not en economist. I don't get paid for this. I have simply read about it for 2 years and now understand to a reasonable degree what is going on here.

Why can't an economist like Salmond do the same ? Why can't people like Darling and Brown do the same ? Why can't all those 'experts' and 'advisors' for the big banks, the FSA and the Government not do the same ?

If you are not worried that I know more about this situation than Salmond then you should be !!

I am just a numpty poste on JKB after all. :)

I am just a numpty poste on JKB after all. :)

Never a truer word typed, albeit slightly misspelt ;)

Surely though it's like your average armchair manager, they can sit back and focus on what they want to, shout about what should be done for that one thing and decry the person in that hot seat for not doing it.

As you say, you're no expert, you don't know all the facts, aspects or everything else about the situation, you've just 'read up' and are offering an opinion.

Who's to say that's right, could be it would fall on it's arse given all other circumstances combined upon it.

I can make a very nice paper aeroplane, it can fly straight and true, but I'm doubtful you'd want to travel to Spain on something I'd knocked up in my shed after downloading some specs from the internet ;)

coppercrutch
Never a truer word typed, albeit slightly misspelt ;)

Surely though it's like your average armchair manager, they can sit back and focus on what they want to, shout about what should be done for that one thing and decry the person in that hot seat for not doing it.

As you say, you're no expert, you don't know all the facts, aspects or everything else about the situation, you've just 'read up' and are offering an opinion.

Who's to say that's right, could be it would fall on it's arse given all other circumstances combined upon it.

I can make a very nice paper aeroplane, it can fly straight and true, but I'm doubtful you'd want to travel to Spain on something I'd knocked up in my shed after downloading some specs from the internet ;)

I think you are being a little unfair on me here. I have been giving predictions of what I expect to happen based on reading a lot of the available information. These predictions have, in the vast majority, been spot on.

The point I am making is you only have to read up a little about this entire situation to work out what was going to happen.

This situation has been one of the most obvious things ever.

That tells me people like Salmond, Fred Goodwin, Darling, Brron and half the FSA have just been sitting in their ivory towers not bothering to do any real research into this issue.

That really is worrying.

The issue I have with Salmond is every time he sits there talking about the economy he has a smug face and a 'know it all' attitude. That si so far from the truth. For some reason I have yet to see him questioned on his 'spivs' chat and asked why he got that so horribly wrong.

I would love to be in an economic debate with the guy. I would destroy him. On politics I wouldn't even bother turnign up. On this subject however he would not have a chance.

He simply does not know even a fraction of what I know. As I said before that is ****ing worrying !! :eek:

So Salmond get something wrong economically. Who cares?

Surely the main criteria we should be judging him on with regards to his abilities to lead the country are:

Does he fraudulently claim expenses?

Does he go on freebie junkets at the taxpayers expense?

Does he get his press secretary pumped behind his missus' back?

Only when he can tick these three boxes will be deemed fit to run Scotland in my eyes.

I would love to be in an economic debate with the guy. I would destroy him. On politics I wouldn't even bother turnign up. On this subject however he would not have a chance.

He simply does not know even a fraction of what I know. As I said before that is ****ing worrying !! :eek:

Going back to your original post, and pretending that the premise of it was actually correct, here's an opportunity for your to display your economic expertise - what exactly is wrong with the idea attributed to Salmond (an ex-Shell economist...or maybe not) in the first link, in view of what is reported in the second?

C'mon CC that's absolute bollox. You'd 'destroy him' on finance? By that reckoning I'd 'destroy' Bill Gates cos I have a PC Pro subscription.

All the folk at the top know exactly what they are doing, covering their arses. Whether the folks on 'Main St' as the yanks like to call it get hammered that's not their concern. They I'm sure saw this coming well before you, realised everything is so tits up that all they could do was bed in and ride it out, get themselves a nice 'golden parachute' and a job in whatever company ends up on top while jabbering on about market conditions and bubbles that have burst.

Worldwide events such as this do not just happen, they are made, so you can bet your left nad that somebody has kicked all this off, is making some serious cash from it, and will be there to collect the pieces and consolidate a prime position at the top of the tree once everything resets Matrix style.

I'm quite happy with Salmond in charge, he doesn't give two sh*ts about London, just Scotland, and at this time protecting the country and the people in it must be a number one priority for the Scottish Government. Sure it's all "UK" but nobody believes that London would put Scotland, Wales or N.Ireland in front of England, simply as it's their votes that win elections while the rest just solidify a better majority.

coppercrutch
Going back to your original post, and pretending that the premise of it was actually correct, here's an opportunity for your to display your economic expertise - what exactly is wrong with the idea attributed to Salmond (an ex-Shell economist...or maybe not) in the first link, in view of what is reported in the second?

His entire premise is based on the fact that the oil price was rising. All this extra money is out there and if we were our own country we would get to keep it all. I think we can all agree that was the jist behind his statement. He chose to bring this up at the moment the oil price was rocketing. Short term thinking at it's worst. It was a political statement and nothing else.

C'mon CC that's absolute bollox. You'd 'destroy him' on finance? By that reckoning I'd 'destroy' Bill Gates cos I have a PC Pro subscription.

All the folk at the top know exactly what they are doing, covering their arses. Whether the folks on 'Main St' as the yanks like to call it get hammered that's not their concern. They I'm sure saw this coming well before you, realised everything is so tits up that all they could do was bed in and ride it out, get themselves a nice 'golden parachute' and a job in whatever company ends up on top while jabbering on about market conditions and bubbles that have burst.

Worldwide events such as this do not just happen, they are made, so you can bet your left nad that somebody has kicked all this off, is making some serious cash from it, and will be there to collect the pieces and consolidate a prime position at the top of the tree once everything resets Matrix style.

I'm quite happy with Salmond in charge, he doesn't give two sh*ts about London, just Scotland, and at this time protecting the country and the people in it must be a number one priority for the Scottish Government. Sure it's all "UK" but nobody believes that London would put Scotland, Wales or N.Ireland in front of England, simply as it's their votes that win elections while the rest just solidify a better majority.

1) That is nonsense. Most of the top folk in financial organisations knew very little about all this. If they did they would have steered clear of all investments in MBS etc.. and currently be sitting picking up other banks for peanuts. Whilst it seems a few may have had this plan - the majority did not. I think we can conclude from this that any bank that got seriously involved in this latest money making 'Everyone is a winner' scheme had a man at the helm that didn?t have a clue what they were doing. We can easily include RBS, B & B, A & L and NR in this group.

2) I think that is also nonsense. If Fred Goodwin had known as much as I do about this situation 18 months ago he would not have touched ABN Amro with a bargepole. That is 100% correct and is not even worth arguing. The guy is a retail banking expert. He knows a huge amount more than me on virtually every aspect of banking I am sure - EXCEPT FOR THIS ONE. I am sure up until 18 months ago he probably didn?t even know what a CDS or MBS was. He will have left that to his minions because they were telling him that these 'investments' were making the bank a fortune. Most senior people in these organisations, from my experience, work on the 'management by exception' theory. If it is all going fine and dandy they don't tend to get heavily involved. In all honesty why would they ?

This is one of the main reasons why so many banks are in trouble IMO. Unless the CEO's of these companies were from the financial markets side of things (And many are not) they would find all of this very confusing and probably did not get invovled. As long as their 'resident experts' told them more money was coming in they didn't care. It was these people who worked in financial markets that knew what was coming. I would totally agree with that. However as for the boys at the top ? I doubt many of them had a scooby what was coming. Their actions over the past few years prove this beyond a shadow of doubt IMO.

I do think there will be people benefitting from all this and perhaps this whole thing was planned. (Cue Maroonlegions !!) However these will be tiny in number and no danger they will include the likes of Fred Goodwin or Applegarth.

They are just pawns like the rest of us. Very powerful pawns of course. But still pawns nonethless.

I do find it amazing how much respect is still given to so many of those in the financial sector. They are the ones who got us into this mess in the first place !!

And yet when I come on a place like this saying I knew more about what was coming than these experts did ? I get told they knew it all along !!??

Even though I have been warning about this for years. And these experts in the city' have been telling everyone it is fine all along?..

I am no expert in this field. That title comes to the likes of Roubini and Fred Harrison. These guys worked it all out years ago in detail and explained what was coming. Incredibly smart men. I simply listened to what people like them had to say, compared it to the other side and looked at the details myself at a high level.

It was very clear exactly who knew the score. The fact so many people have chosen to ignore people like Roubini and Harrison until recently says it all. I am no genius. I do however have enough brains to work out which 'geniuses' to listen to. :)

Salmond does not come into that category. That has nothing to do with his political allegiences either. He is just not very bright.

His entire premise is based on the fact that the oil price was rising. All this extra money is out there and if we were our own country we would get to keep it all. I think we can all agree that was the jist behind his statement. He chose to bring this up at the moment the oil price was rocketing. Short term thinking at it's worst. It was a political statement and nothing else.

I guess it's all down to interpretation. From what I gather, he is suggesting that a Scottish "oil fund" could be created. I am not a keen observer of Scottish politics, so I don't know if this is a new proposal, but the article would suggest not. The passage you quote suggests that the prevailing sky-high oil prices strenghtened this argument, as well as pointing out that such a fund could be created for Scotland while it still remains a part of the UK.

In terms of economics (as opposed to the political aspect of the timing of this article), and in the context of him being an "ex-Shell economist", I ask again, what is wrong with this proposal?

coppercrutch
I guess it's all down to interpretation. From what I gather, he is suggesting that a Scottish "oil fund" could be created. I am not a keen observer of Scottish politics, so I don't know if this is a new proposal, but the article would suggest not. The passage you quote suggests that the prevailing sky-high oil prices strenghtened this argument, as well as pointing out that such a fund could be created for Scotland while it still remains a part of the UK.

In terms of economics (as opposed to the political aspect of the timing of this article), and in the context of him being an "ex-Shell economist", I ask again, what is wrong with this proposal?

What is wrong with this proposal is that we are part of the UK. At the moment the benefits from the oil are spread around the country. By picking and choosing what places receive a 'bonus' from certain resources is not a sensible economic or political plan IMO. (Well unless you are pushing for Nationalism ;))

Also when did I say this was purely down to economics ? My first statement is clear that this guy is currently the leader of the Scottish Government. Surely that makes it clear this thread has a political aspect as well as an economic one????.

:)

Also when did I say this was purely down to economics ?

You didn't, but given your self-proclaimed economic expertise, I was interested in any economics-related expansion to your initial post, particularly as there was a reference to the fact that Salmond had worked for Shell as an economist.

Coppercrutch, your ego must surely dwarf that of most media driven movie stars.

Salmond's 'not very bright' yet he's sitting as First Minister, while a whole load of folk running the major financial institutions have just been turning up to the office and playing Minesweeper, signing off on deals they know nothing about and fiddling as Rome burns.

You of course foresaw this scenario circa 1985 and are now enlightening the rest of us. Aren't we lucky ;)

Surely anybody with your knowledge and understanding would be forging a career and heading to the top right about now? Salary of millions and a south sea island of their choosing?

Even though I have been warning about this for years. And these experts in the city' have been telling everyone it is fine all along…..
I just saw a glow in the sky, could that be your head orbiting the Earth?

Salmond's 'not very bright' yet he's sitting as First Minister, while a whole load of folk running the major financial institutions have just been turning up to the office and playing Minesweeper, signing off on deals they know nothing about and fiddling as Rome burns.

You of course foresaw this scenario circa 1985 and are now enlightening the rest of us. Aren't we lucky ;)

Surely anybody with your knowledge and understanding would be forging a career and heading to the top right about now? Salary of millions and a south sea island of their choosing?

:) ... wish I knew enough about this finance nonsense.... then I'd be able to counter argue with my own brand of finance bollox ... finbox !

coppercrutch

You have summed that up perfectly !!

Anyway you don't really get what I am saying here :P

I am simply saying that if EVEN I can understand what is going on here the fact senior bankers, politicians and some economists cannot is seriously worrying. Would you not agree with that ?

I am just pointing out how much I know about this - to make it clear how little so many of the experts know about it... You get it !! :rolleyes:

I know a reasonable amount about all this. That means I know more than probably 95+% of the population. I just find this staggering as all this stuff affects all our lives every day. Yes maybe I am a little bit more interested in this stuff than the majority but I still wonder why there is so little interest in this subject ? It is all rather exciting these days after all !!

As for making money out of this I have tried !! As I have stated numerous times even though I know a wee bit about this all I have still failed. Timing is key and I have got it wrong and backed the wrong horses. Oh well !!

My overall plan is to save a six figure sum on buying a house in a certain way that the vast majority never consider. If the system does not collapse completely then I am well on track to that goal.

Anyway RBS and HBOS both down about 40% today alone. Nationalisation looks the most likely outcome. Lloyds deal must be in serious doubt. :eek:

Just heard on BBC news - their main news story comment was 'Our banks under attack'...

Under attack ?!! What - from people selling their shares as they think they are about to go bust. Well that is the market, that is how it works. No short sellers to blame today. What are they going to do here ? Force people to buy RBS shares at gunpoint.

Banking is based on confidence.

Confidence goes = bank goes.

And before you get moany with me again please remember this - My current income is derived from one of these big banks. I don't exactly have a vested interest in them going bust do I.........

I am simply the messenger - don't shoot me please...:)

coppercrutch
:) ... wish I knew enough about this finance nonsense.... then I'd be able to counter argue with my own brand of finance bollox ... finbox !

If you have any common sense you probably know as much as many 'experts'..:)

"Don't lend people money they can't really afford"

That is it. Seriously.

I have no need to shoot the messenger, as I'm unsure he has a message worth delivering ;)

Anybody who 'thinks' they know as much as you seem to state, but has failed to capitalise on it can't really know as much as their mind makes them believe they do.

To be fair I don't think you know half as much as you claim to do, anybody can cut & paste from the interweb these days, and with nothing substantial to show in the real world, in fact an admission of failure, I'm doubtful you're going to be a money guru anytime soon ;)

I'm of course not trying to bring you down, but just reel it in a few notches eh? Offer a few opinions sure, but don't go proclaiming yourself the next Adam Smith :)

coppercrutch
I have no need to shoot the messenger, as I'm unsure he has a message worth delivering ;)

Anybody who 'thinks' they know as much as you seem to state, but has failed to capitalise on it can't really know as much as their mind makes them believe they do.

To be fair I don't think you know half as much as you claim to do, anybody can cut & paste from the interweb these days, and with nothing substantial to show in the real world, in fact an admission of failure, I'm doubtful you're going to be a money guru anytime soon ;)

I'm of course not trying to bring you down, but just reel it in a few notches eh? Offer a few opinions sure, but don't go proclaiming yourself the next Adam Smith :)

Well that is a great compliment thank you. :)

All the words are my own. Anything that is a quote is stated as that. Of course I get lots of titbits and words of advise from other sources. Just passing on good advice. Smart thing to do wouldn't you say....:rolleyes:

My plan to capitalise on this has been explained. If the system does not fail and the economy squeezes through this I should be up about 300k. :P

Still a long way to go but it is setting up nicely. Of course the complete destruction of the financial system is out of my hands but nothing I can do about that.

As for not having a message worth delivering are you having a laugh ?!! :eek:

I have been warning of this clearly for about 18 months now on this forum. Over 2 years to friends and work mates.

I instructed people to get out of the housing market before it tanked. I instructed people to put their savings somewhere safe before all the banks looked like collapsing.

I instructed people to stick all their cash into NS and I or somewhere like Nationwide and even have 10% in physical gold just in case. I instructed people to steer clear of places like A & L, B & B and HBOS. I also warned that even though RBS appeared one of the more stable banks even they could be in big trouble.

I also stated that I was delving into the gold mining stocks but made it clear at the time this was seriously risky and only for a small amount of your money you could afford to lose. The same goes for spread betting. Many people who know a lot about this has not managed to profit out of it. Very few people have managed to profit out of this mess. Everything is so volatile getting your timing right is extremely difficult. Just because someone gets that wrong does not mean they don't have a clue they are talking about does it. :rolleyes:

Funny thing is all the advice I was giving OVER A YEAR AGO is now plastered all over the media. Think of all those poor sods with over 50k in an Icesave account. If anyone has read my postings and taken my advice they will not be in that situation.

Sorry for being useful. Sorry for being insightful. Sorry for giving good advice for free when 'experts' have been charging fortunes for purely **** advice.

I apologise for my messages. I clearly have no clue what I am talking about :)

PS - Looks like the Government are going to part nationalise most UK banks...:eek:

Well fingers crossed it works better than everything else so far !!

coppercrutch
Your apology is accepted. Good boy ;)

No probs !!

Just waiting for this announcement from the Government. Will be interesting.

You say coppercrutch

The issue I have with Salmond is every time he sits there talking about the economy he has a smug face and a 'know it all' attitude. That si so far from the truth. For some reason I have yet to see him questioned on his 'spivs' chat and asked why he got that so horribly wrong.

(coppercrutch) Well Alex can`t help the way he looks as yourself and as myself ;) he`s a confident man and knows abit,whats wrong with that? Maybe you would prefer Ian Gray to lead the way a Hibee as well:107years:You say you would love to be in an economic debate with the guy and you would destroy him but if you get the chance let us all know and we can put a wee wager on it that its vice versa;)oh and bye the way if you want to get an answer from him on something you want to ask Webcast date

Send in your questions for Alex Salmond

First minister makes webcast date

Mr Salmond will answer your questions in the half-hour webchat

An online interview with First Minister Alex Salmond will see him answer questions submitted by members of the public at the SNP conference.

BBC Scotland's political editor Brian Taylor will quiz the SNP leader during the half-hour webcast, taking place on Saturday 18 October.

If you have a question, submit it by using the form below.

You can watch the webcast live by clicking on the BBC Scotland news website at bbc.co.uk/scotlandnews.

The interview will take place during the SNP annual conference in Perth.

The four-day gathering, from 16-19 October, will feature debates, motions and speeches - including one by the first minister.

Unfortunately, it may not be possible to put every question submitted to Mr Salmond.

:)So make it a good question:lolpoint: Remember to let us know your question to see if its worthy of bein asked as i`m sure it will since you know alot LOL:):)

coppercrutch
The interview will take place during the SNP annual conference in Perth.

Unfortunately, it may not be possible to put every question submitted to Mr Salmond.

:)So make it a good question:lolpoint: Remember to let us know your question to see if its worthy of bein asked as i`m sure it will since you know alot LOL:):)

You simply don't get it do you ? I will go right now and put this question on.

It will not be asked for 2 reasons.

(1) This is the SNP conference and they choose what is asked.

(2) This question will make him look like an idiot, as he will not have an answer - and a smug person like Salmond would not accept that if he had a chance.

Not rocket science. :)

(2) This question will make him look like an idiot, as he will not have an answer - and a smug person like Salmond would not accept that if he had a chance.

How wide have you had to make the doors now? :cool_shades:

coppercrutch

Alex Salmond blamed the HBOS share crash on 'Spivs' 'Speculators' and 'short sellers'.

Now that short selling of banks has been banned, and RBS & HBOS share prices fell by over 50% in less than 2 days - who is he going to blame now ?

Would Alex Salmond simply care to admit that he was wrong in his original assumption.

Thanks

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question submitted. Would be highly impressed if he is simply honest and comes out and admit he was wrong.

I won't hold my breath though.

coppercrutch
How wide have you had to make the doors now? :cool_shades:

What do you mean ? I am simply pointing out failures in our esteemed leader..

Is that not allowed...:rolleyes:

What do you mean ? I am simply pointing out failures in our esteemed leader..

Is that not allowed...:rolleyes:

You're allowed your opinion. But both of you could do with a bit of humility. :whistling:

Now that short selling of banks has been banned, and RBS & HBOS share prices fell by over 50% in less than 2 days - who is he going to blame now ?

Do you seriously believe for a moment that the above question will trouble Salmond?

coppercrutch
Do you seriously believe for a moment that the above question will trouble Salmond?

Sure will if he plans on giving an honest answer.

However I doubt it would be asked. And if it was he would no doubt skip around the facts.

He was wrong. That has been proven. A simply admission of this would be a very impressive thing for Salmond to do.

That is why I think it is unlikely. :)

I await being proven wrong.

However I doubt it would be asked. And if it was he would no doubt skip around the facts.

He was wrong. That has been proven. A simply admission of this would be a very impressive thing for Salmond to do.

That is why I think it is unlikely. :)

I await being proven wrong.

For what it's worth I don't think they were to blame. They played a part but it was all about investor confidence.

Surely a man with an intellect as vast as the great oceans, such as which of course you have, would work out that if 1. is true then (with your question being so supery dupery) that they'll spend the 2wks they have from you submitting it till it needs answered breaking out the books and researching just so Alex can look like 'da man' blowing the finance community away with what I'm sure will be THE answer to THE question on modern economics.

So, you go girl :)

EDIT - just noticed THE question is actually rather tame. Ah well.

coppercrutch
You're allowed your opinion. But both of you could do with a bit of humility. :whistling:

You see that is where you don't get it Mr McLaren. I take the mick out of myself on this site. I am a poster on a football chat site. I am not trying to persuade people to vote for me. I am not an ex-economist. I am not the leader of the Scottish Government. If I was I would act a little differently. That would be the smart thing to do.

Comprende. :rolleyes:

coppercrutch
For what it's worth I don't think they were to blame. They played a part but it was all about investor confidence.

Now where did I hear that today...........

Oh yes a certain Mr Salmond on TV. Funny how he changed his tune so quickly. :)

Now where did I hear that today...........

Oh yes a certain Mr Salmond on TV. Funny how he changed his tune so quickly. :)

Never heard him today....too busy reading about Icelandic compensation schemes. :rolleyes:

Easy peasy, I'm afraid. As Das Root pointed out, the question is rather tame. An experienced political operator like Salmond would eat your question up and spit out the pips.

coppercrutch
Surely a man with an intellect as vast as the great oceans, such as which of course you have, would work out that if 1. is true then (with your question being so supery dupery) that they'll spend the 2wks they have from you submitting it till it needs answered breaking out the books and researching just so Alex can look like 'da man' blowing the finance community away with what I'm sure will be THE answer to THE question on modern economics.

So, you go girl :)

HBOS shares collapsed - 3% of trades were due to shorting.

Shorting then banned.

HBOS shares collapsed again - 0% of trades were due to shorting.

RBS shares collapsed - 0% of trades were due to shorting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The initial collapse of HBOS shares was not down to 'spivs' and 'speculators'. It was down to a loss of confidence in the banking system. Funnily enough EXACTLY WHAT SALMOND HIMSELF SAID THIS AFTERNOON. Change of tune eh........

There is no argument here. Eck was wrong. That is as close to a FACT as you will ever get. In fact he even admitted this himself today, in a roundabout way. :)

What Government should be saying is " the Banks have been run appalingly, they have put every single persons future in the lap of the gods, the Executives will be arrested and charged."

"The FSA is totally useless and a waste of tax payers money, the executives will be arrested and charged, the rest are fired"

" Your Government has totally failed you, we have handed ourselves over to the police and await charges"

" Sorry".

What they have decided to do is, pump ?50 bilion pounds of tax payers money into the failing Banks.

Ordinary workers are losing their jobs at an alarming rate, but everybody that was instrumental in this catastrophy is still in power.

Unbefrickenleavable!

coppercrutch
Easy peasy, I'm afraid. As Das Root pointed out, the question is rather tame. An experienced political operator like Salmond would eat your question up and spit out the pips.

Please behave yourself. :)

So please explain how Salmond would "eat this question up".

Oh - and acting like a smug git and refusing to actually answer the question because he doesn't want to admit he was wrong does not count.

Thanks.:rolleyes:

coppercrutch
What Government should be saying is " the Banks have been run appalingly, they have put every single persons future in the lap of the gods, the Executives will be arrested and charged."

"The FSA is totally useless and a waste of tax payers money, the executives will be arrested and charged, the rest are fired"

" Your Government has totally failed you, we have handed ourselves over to the police and await charges"

" Sorry".

What they have decided to do is, pump ?50 bilion pounds of tax payers money into the failing Banks.

Ordinary workers are losing their jobs at an alarming rate, but everybody that was instrumental in this catastrophy is still in power.

Unbefrickenleavable!

Indeed. However as I found out today Salmond himself is buddies with the bankers. How surprising. In fact come to think of it has he actually criticised the banks actions in their lending practices ? Serious question I don't know.

I hope so. If he is just another banking apologist then..........:mad:

Alex Salmond blamed the HBOS share crash on 'Spivs' 'Speculators' and 'short sellers'.

Would Alex Salmond simply care to admit that he was wrong in his original assumption.

Thanks

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question submitted. Would be highly impressed if he is simply honest and comes out and admit he was wrong.

I won't hold my breath though.

Correct me if i`m wrong but the whole of the Scottish parliment also agreed and Ian Gray said they should burn in hell or words to that effect;)

Its a while since i last took out a mortgage, but when i took out my last one i was told i needed a mortgage indemnity.

I am sure it cost me about ?1200, i asked the guy why i needed it because i hadnt needed one with my previous mortgage.

He said it was the Banks insurance policy, incase i defaulted over the course of the mortgage.

I asked if i could have the money back with interest, if over the life of the mortgage i never missed a payment.

He laughed.

Serious point, surely if Banks were lending prudently they would have no need for this type of product?

Why did the FSA allow this to happen, is it any wonder the Banks took their eyes of the job?

Do the Banks still make customers pay an indemnity?

coppercrutch
Correct me if i`m wrong but the whole of the Scottish parliment also agreed and Ian Gray said they should burn in hell or words to that effect;)

I doubt very much what you say above.

However if it is true then it simply points out the entire Scottish Parliament knows as little about this situation as Salmond does.

So your point is...........:rolleyes:

Archived