The Psychology of Shopping

CostaJambo

Is anyone else interested in how shops do certain things to encourage you to buy more stuff? For some reason I find this subject fascinating as a diehard tightass. Some of the tricks I have heard of are:

Walls painted a certain colour (I think it's lilac) to encourage you to stay longer

Front windows angled towards the entrance to 'guide' you in

Supermarkets placing 'impulse buys' in certain places to maximise purchases and placing complementary items away from each other (e.g. hot dogs and mustard) to make sure you pass many items between the two

Shopping trolleys getting bigger because apparently we take comfort in the bottom of them being filled.

Does anyone have any more?

Benny Factor
Is anyone else interested in how shops do certain things to encourage you to buy more stuff? For some reason I find this subject fascinating as a diehard tightass. Some of the tricks I have heard of are:

Walls painted a certain colour (I think it's lilac) to encourage you to stay longer

Front windows angled towards the entrance to 'guide' you in

Supermarkets placing 'impulse buys' in certain places to maximise purchases and placing complementary items away from each other (e.g. hot dogs and mustard) to make sure you pass many items between the two

Shopping trolleys getting bigger because apparently we take comfort in the bottom of them being filled.

Does anyone have any more?

There can't be many supermarkets in Britain where the bread and milk(two of the most bought items) AREN'T placed in the corner of the shop, so you HAVE to walk by everything else to get there.

Fruit and veg at the front as the colours are to brighten your mood and keep you inside longer.

Frozen foods at the end and the till section being cooler than the rest of the store to get you out as your done.

Knew a few more but can't remember now.

Fruit and veg at the front as the colours are to brighten your mood and keep you inside longer.

Frozen foods at the end and the till section being cooler than the rest of the store to get you out as your done.

Knew a few more but can't remember now.

Good ones. (Good band too on your avatar!). Keep em coming.

The fluorescent and low voltage halogen lamps for supermarket display cabinet use are different colour temperatures from standard ones to make meat, veg, flowers etc look brighter and fresher.

Re-planning of supermarket shelves mean you need to browse over more products to find what you're looking for, when before you knew where it was.

They put the stuff they want to sell at the end of aisles, you slow down as you pass, you're less likely to scoot on by.

Sweeties at the checkout is obvious.

I've heard that sometimes they put the smell of fresh bread through the air-con if they don't actually bake in the store. Air CON!

My Dad had a high street shop, small family business type thing. He had a serve over counter, with a high glass front and if he put stuff on the counter, jars and things, they sold. You put stuff under people's noses and they just buy it, it's like they can't help themselves. Think about how many time you've bought wee tins of mints or the like at the garage when you were paying for your petrol. Did you need them? Did you want them? Why did you buy them?

We're all daft.

Another one I used to practice (was in retail at a very well known furnishings place during uni) was if you have a central aisle, put the cheap things right on the edges a la impulse buying to entice people to have a look, then put slightly more pricey things behind to grab interest and get them off the main aisle to the really pricey stuff at the back. I think the technical term was price gradient or something like that.

Another one is the good old 'add-on' product. If your selling something with a decent price (for example a torch), then put a relevant add-on (batteries) next to it. Preferably in quantities (and hence price) greater than the product actually needs at any one time.

The smells one mentioned above is def true as well.

I could swear Subway pump out smells outside their shops, you can smell it well before you even get to it, and I always find myself thinking that I could go a Subway, even if I've just eaten!

I could be wrong but I think Subway stores just reek of their produce from miles away. I've just quit a job in an office two floors above such an eaterie and you could smell it seeping its way up the stairs. Brutal on a hangover.

Nelly Terraces
i always thought supermarkets should put chocolate next to tampons

Heh heh, not wrong matey.:P

I could be wrong but I think Subway stores just reek of their produce from miles away. I've just quit a job in an office two floors above such an eaterie and you could smell it seeping its way up the stairs. Brutal on a hangover.

Dunno about Subway smells but they definitely use that tactic in travel agents. Ever noticed that they tend to smell of coconut and sun cream?

On a completely different note, this thread totally reminds me of a very amusing Eddie Izzard sketch... :biggrin:

heartsfc_fan

Asda at Chesser seem to put their best beer offers near the doors at the carpark entrance. I've caught myself wondering in and thinking "ferck it, ?10 for a pack of stella, why not?" ;)

Asda at Chesser seem to put their best beer offers near the doors at the carpark entrance. I've caught myself wondering in and thinking "ferck it, ?10 for a pack of stella, why not?" ;)

Did they have crash helmets and body armour for sale beside the Stella, so you buy some for the missus?

I think it was Wal Mart in the states who did some data analysis and noted that there was a corellation between sales of nappies and beer. Further research revealed that wives were getting husbands to pick up the nappies on the way back from work. The husbands, having done their bit, rewarded themselves with a six pack or two. So Wal Mart positioned the beer next to the nappies and saw sales of both rise considerably.

Yes i know they are called diapers in the States but I was not sure of the spelling. (as you can probably see)

Archived