Freecycle

go on then

Anyone ever used this, either to donate or to get something?

Yes, there is a lot of rubbish offered, but you would be surprised what people will give away for free, so I think it is a brilliant idea, whoever originally thought of it. It's not even a website as such, more of a Yahoo group. You might think that it has made a dent in charity shop donations, but these days charity shops, at least in my experience, are a total scam. Go look what they are asking for a cooker. Christ on a bike, for the money they ask you might as well go to a high st shop and buy a new one, and it will come with a warranty. I am also told that only a small % of the monies raised from sale of goods in many charity shops (Help The Aged?), actually gets to the source, since they have so many salaried members of staff, and not so many volunteers, yet, at the same time, they are (I think), given big breaks on rent and rates.

I thought of two additions to Freecycle that might be a good thing. One would be a site that would offer a exchange of labour, for example, you might be a joiner and someone may want a joiner but not have ready money, therefore, they could offer something in exchange (for example, they might be good at doing yer books?). Or what about a site were things are not given for free, but offered up as trades/swaps.

Just a thought.

maroonlegions
Anyone ever used this, either to donate or to get something?

Yes, there is a lot of rubbish offered, but you would be surprised what people will give away for free, so I think it is a brilliant idea, whoever originally thought of it. It's not even a website as such, more of a Yahoo group. You might think that it has made a dent in charity shop donations, but these days charity shops, at least in my experience, are a total scam. Go look what they are asking for a cooker. Christ on a bike, for the money they ask you might as well go to a high st shop and buy a new one, and it will come with a warranty. I am also told that only a small % of the monies raised from sale of goods in many charity shops (Help The Aged?), actually gets to the source, since they have so many salaried members of staff, and not so many volunteers, yet, at the same time, they are (I think), given big breaks on rent and rates.

I thought of two additions to Freecycle that might be a good thing. One would be a site that would offer a exchange of labour, for example, you might be a joiner and someone may want a joiner but not have ready money, therefore, they could offer something in exchange (for example, they might be good at doing yer books?). Or what about a site were things are not given for free, but offered up as trades/swaps.

Just a thought.

my wife is never off it , good way to get ride of stuff and stop it going to land fill sites she is MOD on freecycle so if you have a problem just PM me on Kickback and i will pass it on to her.;)

Is she? Well, so far, I have found it pretty good. However, and it is just a suggestion, I think it could be broadened out to include my ideas about exchange of skills and labour, or even a swap of goods. Ask her what she thinks of that?

Thanks

Archived