The stone roses - blood on the turntable

The People's Chimp

The People's Chimp

The roses, a sad, sad story, and such a waste. Fantastic, incredibly special music.

Watching blood on the turntable, the BBC documentary. Great doc, but so depressing; the contract they signed with pantomime villain gareth evans, a full 33.33% of GROSS earnings over a ten year period. Horrific.

Recommended viewing for anyone with a passion for the roses.

The first court case was against the record company. During the case, the matter of what Gareth Evans had been earning and keeping a secret from the band then brought about the case of the Roses v Evans. If I remember right, Evans now owns (or has a share) in a golfcourse somewhere.

The People's Chimp

Evans is just a disgusting liar. The guy's a total snake and a fantasist. It's almost funny the way he takes credit for everything; the clothes, the fashion, the artwork....

Going to see The Complete Stone Roses at Corn Exchange next month. I'm not one ofr tribute acts but I'm really looking forward to it.

Evans is just a disgusting liar. The guy's a total snake and a fantasist. It's almost funny the way he takes credit for everything; the clothes, the fashion, the artwork....

He does come across as a bit of a c0ck from what I have read about him.

The People's Chimp
He does come across as a bit of a c0ck from what I have read about him.

Watch the doc, it's on youtube. He's an absolute c0ck.

I think the prob with the Roses was that Squire and Brown were both c0cks thats egos couldn't fit in the same room, but without each other are nothing worth noting

The People's Chimp
Cheers, seen it before though bud.

:)

cool. Would have been better over maybe a 2-3 hour special. It deals with the end far too quickly;

think of the last episode:

"the robbie maddox years."

I think the prob with the Roses was that Squire and Brown were both c0cks thats egos couldn't fit in the same room, but without each other are nothing worth noting

Always had the opinion that when they got the huge money from Geffen, they all moved to different parts of the country and the "gang mentality" was lost. From what I have read, they started to hang about together less and less and only met up at recording.

Squire and Brown were the main writing force and were now starting to listen to different music.

Ego's? Probably not many bands out there which have ego's of some sort.

Think they just grew apart. Shame that Brown and Squire dont talk, but Squire did send Brown a christmas card when he was inside.

Mani, Reni and Squire met up a while back and started going to gigs together.

cool. Would have been better over maybe a 2-3 hour special. It deals with the end far too quickly;

think of the last episode:

"the robbie maddox years."

Thats when the whole story gets rather sad. Bloke was a decent drummer but when they brought in the bloke Nigel to beef up the live sound, was not quite the same as it was before.

Maddix also ****ed off Squire by having a pop at Oasis in the press. The Roses and Oasis always got on sound - the comments by Maddix never went down well at all.

The Reading fiasco was a really really sad end to the band.

Always had the opinion that when they got the huge money from Geffen, they all moved to different parts of the country and the "gang mentality" was lost. From what I have read, they started to hang about together less and less and only met up at recording.

Squire and Brown were the main writing force and were now starting to listen to different music.

Think they just grew apart. Shame that Brown and Squire dont talk, but Squire did send Brown a christmas card when he was inside.

had played in bands, I agree with the gang mentality thing. Even in unsigned bands people develop ego's that are out of proportion and things grow apart.

On the other thread you had a quality shout of Led Zepp's 'Since I've been loving you' solo - respect

The People's Chimp
Thats when the whole story gets rather sad. Bloke was a decent drummer but when they brought in the bloke Nigel to beef up the live sound, was not quite the same as it was before.

Maddix also ****ed off Squire by having a pop at Oasis in the press. The Roses and Oasis always got on sound - the comments by Maddix never went down well at all.

Yeah I remember reading it all with a sense of real sadness in my melody maker* at the time.

*the melody maker, surely worth a thread of its own.

Top, top, top, top band. Shame. Asking a Roses fan what their favourite song is, is like asking a parent to name their favourite child.

This is the One, I am the Ressurection, Elephant Stone, Fools Gold, I Wanna Be Adored, What the World is Waiting for, Mersey Paradise etc.

Geoff Kilpatrick
Top, top, top, top band. Shame. Asking a Roses fan what their favourite song is, is like asking a parent to name their favourite child.

This is the One, I am the Ressurection, Elephant Stone, Fools Gold, I Wanna Be Adored, What the World is Waiting for, Mersey Paradise etc.

And you didn't even mention Waterfall! Shame on you! :)

Easily Sally Cinnamon....first one I heard....then again I don't do children :P

marshallschunkychicken

My favourite child is Elephant Stone. :laugh:

That drum build-up still sends shivers down my spine every time I hear it.

Not seen the documentary, but will do so tonight.

marshallschunkychicken

Ibrahim Aziz. WTF.

BangkokHearts

I'm reading 'The Stone Roses: And the Resurrection of British Pop' at the moment.

Over-rated band IMO, one truly great album though.

That will irk the purists here. ;)

The People's Chimp
Ibrahim Aziz. WTF.

He still plays with Brown's live band and on his records.

along with a guy from aberdeen who was in fools gold (i think) the tribute band from aberdeen and who impressed brown with his guitar work. I went to see brown at the AECC and the guy stoated on stage in his old A-FAB aberdeen top and set the ASC down the front into rapture.

bunch of james hunts.

The People's Chimp
I'm reading 'The Stone Roses: And the Resurrection of British Pop' at the moment.

Over-rated band IMO, one truly great album though.

That will irk the purists here. ;)

What a total contradiction. How can anyone with a truly great album be over rated? To have written something truly great, means you are one of the true greats.

:cool:

BangkokHearts
What a total contradiction. How can anyone with a truly great album be over rated? To have written something truly great, means you are one of the true greats.

:cool:

It was a fluke. Right place at the right time.

If they had done it again then fair enough, but 'Second Coming' is barely listenable IMO.

marshallschunkychicken

If they had done it again then fair enough, but 'Second Coming' is barely listenable IMO.

To quote Shaun in 'Shaun of the Dead',

"I like it".

Gavsy Van Gaverson
To quote Shaun in 'Shaun of the Dead',

"I like it".

:P

Me too. The Second Coming is not brillant but it is still a good album IMO.

It was never going to be as good as The Stone Roses, and with a 5 and a half year gap between releases the expectations were huge and was bound to disappoint a little.

I love 'Ten Storey Love Song'.

Second Coming is a great album, sadly people wanted either a copy of the 1st album or 60 minutes of Fools Gold. You were never going to get either from the Roses. Unlike other Manchester era bands they were never going to find a style and stick to it.

Second Coming is a great album, sadly people wanted either a copy of the 1st album or 60 minutes of Fools Gold. You were never going to get either from the Roses. Unlike other Manchester era bands they were never going to find a style and stick to it.

Agree with everything apart from the first 5 words.

It has some really good songs on it- but 2-3 too many fillers.

They should have dropped "Straight to the man" and replaced if with the hidden jam on track 90.

;)

Agree with everything apart from the first 5 words.

It has some really good songs on it- but 2-3 too many fillers.

They should have dropped "Straight to the man" and replaced if with the hidden jam on track 90.

;)

Agree with everything apart from the last 5 words. Enjoyment of the hidden track is a sign of having smoked way too much.

Agree with everything apart from the last 5 words. Enjoyment of the hidden track is a sign of having smoked way too much.

Touche.

The People's Chimp

Goodness knows what enjoyment of "straight to the man" is a sign of!!

Goodness knows what enjoyment of "straight to the man" is a sign of!!

A sign that you are looking forward to the next track which is a cracker?

marshallschunkychicken
A sign that you are looking forward to the next track which is a cracker?

Ah, 'Begging You'.

On my first listen, by far the most exciting track on the album.

Also love 'Driving South'.

The People's Chimp
Ah, 'Begging You'.

On my first listen, by far the most exciting track on the album.

Also love 'Driving South'.

crossroads, driving south, good times.

ah-may-zing.:)

What a heap of **** the Second Coming is a great album in it's own right.

Did he not send him a box of Maltesers (with a note attached saying "I still Love You") which is what they used to give each other at Christmas when they were kids?

Always thought that was a great story.

Did he not send him a box of Maltesers (with a note attached saying "I still Love You") which is what they used to give each other at Christmas when they were kids?

Always thought that was a great story.

Not sure what was on the card, Adi - but the maltesers part is correct.

:)

Archived