Roadkill Cheap and Tasty?

The Doctor

Is it acceptable?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Is it acceptable?

• Hmmm roadkill, yes please
    • Bllueerrghh, I'd rather eat vegetables

I met a guy today who took great pleasure in telling me his recipe for pheasant curry, made with pheasant he'd picked up at the side of the road!

I was fairly disgusted, but I was telling my better half who didn't see anything wrong with it.

So would you?

I met a guy today who took great pleasure in telling me his recipe for pheasant curry, made with pheasant he'd picked up at the side of the road!

I was fairly disgusted, but I was telling my better half who didn't see anything wrong with it.

So would you?

I wouldn't but if you know what you are doing I don't see why not.

Kalamazoo Jambo

There's a dead skunk at the side of the road on my drive into work at the moment.

Dinnae fancy that much.

andy1874hmfc
There's a dead skunk at the side of the road on my drive into work at the moment.

Dinnae fancy that much.

Mmmmm.. skunk:)

blondejamtart

Maybe if you had actually seen it being killed and it was just a glancing blow and not mangled, so to speak - otherwise how would you know how long it had been lying there?

Maybe if you had actually seen it being killed and it was just a glancing blow and not mangled, so to speak - otherwise how would you know how long it had been lying there?

I asked that, apparently most are killed on the rise from undergrowth at the edge of the road, so they're not mangled, he reckons if they're still warm and plump and there's no sign of crows or foxes having been at them, they're ok!

:boak:

I voted yes, but I would only eat it if I saw the moment of impact in person.

My old man once spoted a pheasant that didn't seem to be scared of cars sitting on top of a hump-backed bridge, so he opened the driver side window, stuck his hand out and throttled it as he drove past, stuck it on the passenger seat then took it home and cooked it for dinner.

(Unless he was just talking pish when he was drunk).

I clicked yes because I know people who have done this.

If you see the animal being killed or kill it yourself (not intentionally of course, that's just a bit wrong) then I don't see much wrong at all.

Not often you can get a Deer-ful of Venison for free :D

heartgarfunkel

I nearly crashed the motor through a combination of laughter and incredulity a few years back. There was a boy getting interviewed on the radio by Jeremy Vine about his new roadkill cookbook, and Vine asked him what the most exotic thing he'd scoffed was - 'Black Labrador' came the reply. He'd found it Gary Speed at the side of the road, slung it in the boot, then into the chest freezer in his garage. He fired in articles to all the local press and informed the polis. Once a respectable time had passed, he thawed Rover out and scoffed him as the main ingredient in a variety of dishes.:eek:

I clicked yes because I know people who have done this.

If you see the animal being killed or kill it yourself (not intentionally of course, that's just a bit wrong) then I don't see much wrong at all.

Not often you can get a Deer-ful of Venison for free :D

I always thought the rule was that you weren't allowed to pick up anything you killed, but something killed by others was fair game! I guess its to stop people deliberately trying to hit the animal, but I would have thought if an animal takes a chunk out your motor, then you should get to take a chunk out of it!!!

If I saw the animal getting killed, so I knew it was fresh, and it was still in good nick, then I would probably take it, although I have never done it before

No qualms with it at all. If it's till got eyes, you're normally ok as before too long the crows will have its eyes out.

Poster above is right that if you hit it, you're not meant to pick it up - encourages some to try and hit stuff.

One of my dogs caught a pheasant once, took it off him to take it home to cook. Put it in my jacket as dogs were nuzzling it and wanted to eat it themselvs. 10 mins later, it started flapping about in my jacket - must've only been stunned - bit of a shock really. Promptly rung it's neck and placed back in jacket. hung for a few days then roast pheasant for dinner - delicious.

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall had a bit about this on his River Cottage programme.

He found a dead rabbit and all he did was give it a quick sniff. He said if it smelt rank, then it was dodgy, but if not then fill your boots.

suicidalpostie

I worked with a guy who hit a deer on the way back from

the borders once, he jumped out of the van and dragged

the beast into the back.He sold it to a local butcher and

got a good price for it.Obviously the butcher knew it was

fresh from the state of the front of the van

Archived