Problems and Solutions: What the ... is going on?

Buffalo Bill

Buffalo Bill

I think the problem is that we have too many key players injured, and one or two not getting a game that should be, whcih equals one or two getting a game that shouldn't.

From the squad that didn't start yesterday,

Jonsson

Driver

Aguiar

Glen

Obua (maybe)

..would all have started for me.

Ruben and Chesney would have been on the bench.

Obua could well be a good player, but I only remember his 'mare against Airdrie.

Ruben, whilst a tidy player is someone I think would do well ticking over in a good team (a bit like N$il Lenn*n), but not so much in a side like ours that needs inspiration. I hope that makes sense.

Chesney/Miko/Driver are sometimes decent wide players, but I was brought up on John Colquhoun, so I demand more for my dollar.

As for the "young team" that Csaba talks about: Jason Thomson, despite the lad doing his best - he doesn't look an SPL player. Lee Wallace, a player that I like has been woeful of late. Jamie Mole carries little goal threat.

As for Larry Kingston, I'd drop him now. No questions asked.

With the limited squad he have, I'd play;

Kello

Jonsson

Karipidis

Berra

Obua

Miko

Stewart

Aguiar

Driver

Tulleberg

Glen

In January, I'd bring in a left back and a striker for starters.

I still back Csaba, but if purple hair-rinsed Korobotchedit is influencing our team then we're in big trouble.

Over to you.

Buffalo Bill

Guest jambomickey
I think the problem is that we have too many key players injured, and one or two not getting a game that should be, whcih equals one or two getting a game that shouldn't.

Jonsson

Driver

Aguiar

Glen

Obua (maybe)

Obua could well be a good player, but I only remember his 'mare against Airdrie.

Ruben, whilst a tidy player is someone I think would do well ticking over in a good team (a bit like N$il Lenn*n), but not so much in a side like ours that needs inspiration. I hope that makes sense.

Chesney/Miko/Driver are sometimes decent wide players, but I was brought up on John Colquhoun, so I demand more for my dollar.

As for the "young team" that Csaba talks about: Jason Thomson, despite the lad doing his best - he doesn't look an SPL player. Lee Wallace, a player that I like has been woeful of late. Jamie Mole carries little goal threat.

Kello

Jonsson

Karipidis

Berra

Obua

Miko

Stewart

Aguiar

Driver

Tulleberg

Glen

I still back Csaba, but if purple hair-rinsed Korobotchedit is influencing our team then we're in big trouble.

Over to you.

Buffalo Bill

webster, pressley, hartley, gordon, skacel, bednar, brellier, pospisil, velicka a**** others have gone and been replaced with dross, that's the problem aswell as our fantasy manager in lithuania

Charlie-Brown

Yes we do have some of our better or more positive players out.....however Csaba has fielded virtually the same set of players (when available) in mostly the same way for virtually every game this season - I don't see what if anything has changed ie in terms of players playing now that weren't before...if anything people wanted & waited for Tullberg & Nade & Aguiar etc to be fit again so we now have some more selection options than we had earlier in this season.

The real problem for me is that the team has stopped playing passing football that they were playing early season and have reverted to aimless, directionless hoofball that failed in recent seasons.

Yesterday was a weird game for me, first time in a long time that it felt the team had been thrown together and nobody seemed to have a clue what they were doing. cant put my finger on it but there is something happening and its not good.

Every club up and down the country has to cope with big players getting injured, problem is for Hearts is that the squad as a whole does not have the quality, it could be argued that even when everyone is fit the quality is not there.

January is a bit away yet, but as someone rightly pointed out on another thread, the transfer window is not a guaranteed fix as quite a lot of the problems have been allowed to continue past the last couple of transfer windows.

Im not saying we should have siged ratboy, but you watch the amount of games he will be on the score sheet for Hibs.

You have a problem, you try to fix it.

We have not.

Agree that we are missing some key players, Driver is the sorest one for me, I think he's our best player on his day.

However, even on the poor performance yesterday I would have settled for a draw but the fact is our central defence was beaten by a simple long ball yesterday.

Form goes out the window for the derby but surely now Csaba must be thinking of making three or four bold changes to the starting line up.

A line needs to be drawn now under the first-team careers of Mole, Ksana and Makela. Each one of them is horrific. Each one of them had another little cameo yesterday illustrating why they are not SPL players: Mole's Makela-like first touch and booking which led to the opener, Ksana's hilarious rocket free-kick from wide right and Makela's attempt to prevent the throw near the end. All of them have been tried, tested and found wanting.

I don't care if Tullberg turns out not to be very good (I think he's been OK so far for someone who's not match-fit) - give him a run. I don't care if Nade is nearing heart-attack after an hour - make him play and then bring on a youngster. Play Glen. Play Miko as striker. Whatever it takes to get through to the next window.

But let's stop telling the opposition in advance that we're ***** by fielding 100% pure duds in the forward positions.

Charlie-Brown
Every club up and down the country has to cope with big players getting injured, problem is for Hearts is that the squad as a whole does not have the quality, it could be argued that even when everyone is fit the quality is not there.

January is a bit away yet, but as someone rightly pointed out on another thread, the transfer window is not a guaranteed fix as quite a lot of the problems have been allowed to continue past the last couple of transfer windows.

Im not saying we should have siged ratboy, but you watch the amount of games he will be on the score sheet for Hibs.

You have a problem, you try to fix it.

We have not.

I think most people simply ignore or don't appreciate the lack of money available at the club - the club have been doing everything to try to stop losing money - selling players, releasing players ... trying to cut the wage bill etc.

Hearts will still be looking to sell or release some more players in January & next summer when some high earners go out of contract - any new players coming in will have to be bosman's or loan signings as Hearts don't have any money and player sales will probably used to reduce the still to high debt levels.

Maybe Csaba will get some money if he can bring in a big transfer fee for someone but I'd imagine it would only be a percentage of that money and not all of it.

Trying to achieve financial stability appears to be the highest priority at the club just now as long as the team doesn't fall out of the SPL.

That's the reality as I see it.

I think most people simply ignore or don't appreciate the lack of money available at the club - the club have been doing everything to try to stop losing money - selling players, releasing players ... trying to cut the wage bill etc.

Hearts will still be looking to sell or release some more players in January & next summer when some high earners go out of contract - any new players coming in will have to be bosman's or loan signings as Hearts don't have any money and player sales will probably used to reduce the still to high debt levels.

Maybe Csaba will get some money if he can bring in a big transfer fee for someone but I'd imagine it would only be a percentage of that money and not all of it.

Trying to achieve financial stability appears to be the highest priority at the club just now as long as the team doesn't fall out of the SPL.

Agree on Hearts now living within their means, NMH.

Problem is though if Hearts go from one extreme to another, crowds will go down and the revenue generated will have a knock on affect with using the money for targetig players.

Csaba has been vocal about how the group "together" spend a long time during the week drawing up potential lists of players, it will be interesting to see come Jan what bares fruit from this. Will the Scandanavian market (which has been mentioned) be looked at? Will players come within the pyramid? Will Csaba bring players from Africa?

I dont expect (or want) Hearts to spend millions on players, thats how we got in this mess in the first place, spending money on wages and fee's that was outwith our means.

Youth and scouring the market to bring in the right players is what we need to do. Problem is though, that can take time, and we are not the most patient chaps are we?

:)

Yes we do have some of our better or more positive players out.....however Csaba has fielded virtually the same set of players (when available) in mostly the same way for virtually every game this season - I don't see what if anything has changed ie in terms of players playing now that weren't before...if anything people wanted & waited for Tullberg & Nade & Aguiar etc to be fit again so we now have some more selection options than we had earlier in this season.

The real problem for me is that the team has stopped playing passing football that they were playing early season and have reverted to aimless, directionless hoofball that failed in recent seasons.

When I saw Hearts at the beginning of the season the passing was neat and tidy and Mikey Stewart was in his element, i thought that Csaba had stamped his mark on the team for this season.

How wrong was i, once again we have reverted to pumping balls up to Jamie Mole in the vain hope that he will control it, and have a attempt at goal.

Csaba will have to work hard in training to get back to basics and get the passing game back.

The sign of a good manager is how he can change the teams performance especially when we are having a bad run.

Squad wise and money wise we are back to where we were pre-Romanov after a turbulent three seasons. We have stayed at Tynecastle, won a Scottish Cup and split the Old Firm. We have also seen a class squad dismantled and replaced with average players, we have finsihed our lowest in a long time, we have stumbled from turmoil to turmoil.

Now we all (Fans and Romanov) need to give Csaba a chance to build a squad which he is happy with. Get rid of the pish and try and bring in a few gems (many out there we just need to look). I am not even looking at the Old Firm. It would be delusional to do so. I am looking for stability. Then from there our aim should be to qualify for Europe and a good cup run.

The only thing now is we don't have a backbone like we did pre-Romanov ie Gordon, Webster, Pressley and Hartley. Csaba needs to decide who he wants and who he doesn't and start planning for the future while trying to get results with the squad we have at the moment.

If only players being injured was our problem. Surely the continued involvment of Korobochka, the man who was overseeing the football side of things when we finished 8th. The return of Chervenkov, the man who took us to 11th and the r"influence" of Vlad himself are all major problems way above players being injured. In addition we have a manager who has got a job streets ahead of where he was therefore unlikely to rock the boat. I remember Levein arriving at Leicester and promptly getting rid of the footballing director, Dave Basset, Csaba will not do that, when he has allegedly gone from 40k a year to 200k a year.

To me we have removed Frail and brought in Csaba, nothing has really changed we have the wrost footballing side at Tynie for many years and again circa 8th place is all we will "achieve".

Unless a massive change takes place, Csaba out Korobochka out, Chervenkov out and Vlad removes himself from team selection etc and a proper manager is installed. If all that happens things may change but who in the football world would want the Hearts job and no way would Vlad allow this change. So for as long as Vlad is in charge then the likes of Hibs, Celtic, Rangers, Dndee Utd, Kilmarnock etc will always be ahead of us

But hang on....who was it that allowed that excessive spending in the first place with the only serious means of repayment a 100 to 1 shot of getting into the Champions League groups? Who was it that raised expectations well beyond what he could ever hope to deliver? Who was it that sanctioned an obscene wage bill that is a millstone around our necks?

Vlad may have made millions but he has shown himself to be a truly incompetent businessman in the world of football so excuse me if I don't congratulate him on his new found frugality.

Charlie-Brown
But hang on....who was it that allowed that excessive spending in the first place with the only serious means of repayment a 100 to 1 shot of getting into the Champions League groups? Who was it that raised expectations well beyond what he could ever hope to deliver? Who was it that sanctioned an obscene wage bill that is a millstone around our necks?

Vlad may have made millions but he has shown himself to be a truly incompetent businessman in the world of football so excuse me if I don't congratulate him on his new found frugality.

Hearts have been overspending & losing money for 10-12 years - why do you think we had debts of almost ?20M and Tynecastle was being sold before Romanov even arrived.

Everything that Andrew Flanagan wrote back in 2000 is just as relevant and applicable today as it was then.

Father Tiresias
Hearts have been overspending & losing money for 10-12 years - why do you think we had debts of almost ?20M and Tynecastle was being sold before Romanov even arrived.

So why did he allow the massive overspending when he first took over the club?

Charlie-Brown
So why did he allow the massive overspending when he first took over the club?

I don't know why Chizzy - without having a bigger stadium to bring in bigger crowds help finance it already in place before big spending then he made exactly the same mistake as Robinson & Jefferies made post 1998 thinking we can buy our way to a higher level......money was also probably more readily available 3 years ago than it is now.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Are you serious? Many people have been highlighting Romanov's financial mismanagement of the club for over two years and you were telling them he had it under control and there was nothing to worry about!

The same for the last sentence. Many posters on here have said for two years that Vlad will take us to the brink of relegation and again you argued consistently, passionately that that was a load of rubbish.

I disagree, I think everyone is more than aware at the lack of money at the club.

Why though, do we have money to bring over pyramid players who are in the main ineffective instead of spending said money on on cheaper players within the game here? Look at the likes of Dundee utd and Killie for what can be brought in on a shoestring budget. The pyramid players may be cheap but they are not free - we should be looking for value for the money we are spending not wasting it on players who will not or cannot play. Can we justify paying 5 or 6 goalkeepers and not spending the money of at least one of them on a left back?

In addition do we really need so many staff? Why not send home the excess management staff such as Korabochka and Chervenkov, do we really need them?

We seem to have money when it suits for the purpose it suits

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
Agree on Hearts now living within their means, NMH.

Problem is though if Hearts go from one extreme to another, crowds will go down and the revenue generated will have a knock on affect with using the money for targetig players.

Csaba has been vocal about how the group "together" spend a long time during the week drawing up potential lists of players, it will be interesting to see come Jan what bares fruit from this. Will the Scandanavian market (which has been mentioned) be looked at? Will players come within the pyramid? Will Csaba bring players from Africa?

I dont expect (or want) Hearts to spend millions on players, thats how we got in this mess in the first place, spending money on wages and fee's that was outwith our means.

Youth and scouring the market to bring in the right players is what we need to do. Problem is though, that can take time, and we are not the most patient chaps are we?

:)

I think the last sentence is grossly unfair. Why is everybody so keen to blame their fellow fans? Even if it is light-hearted. If proper scouting was undertaken by proper football professionals then the huge majority of fans would be patient about that. But do you think we should be patient about, for example, Pedro Lopez going to South America and signing Pinilla and Screpis? Does that deserve patience?

If only players being injured was our problem. Surely the continued involvment of Korobochka, the man who was overseeing the football side of things when we finished 8th. The return of Chervenkov, the man who took us to 11th and the r"influence" of Vlad himself are all major problems way above players being injured. In addition we have a manager who has got a job streets ahead of where he was therefore unlikely to rock the boat. I remember Levein arriving at Leicester and promptly getting rid of the footballing director, Dave Basset, Csaba will not do that, when he has allegedly gone from 40k a year to 200k a year.

To me we have removed Frail and brought in Csaba, nothing has really changed we have the wrost footballing side at Tynie for many years and again circa 8th place is all we will "achieve".

Unless a massive change takes place, Csaba out Korobochka out, Chervenkov out and Vlad removes himself from team selection etc and a proper manager is installed. If all that happens things may change but who in the football world would want the Hearts job and no way would Vlad allow this change. So for as long as Vlad is in charge then the likes of Hibs, Celtic, Rangers, Dndee Utd, Kilmarnock etc will always be ahead of us

I would agree with you that our problems run deeper than a few injured players (although that doesn't help).

I'm undecided about Csaba but alarm bells are ringing with the way we continue to insist on using players out of position or out of form.

Either Csaba is incompetant or being influenced in his selections. Neither of those possibilities is very appealing.

Father Tiresias
I don't know why Chizzy - without having a bigger stadium to bring in bigger crowds help finance it already in place before big spending then he made exactly the same mistake as Robinson & Jefferies made post 1998 thinking we can buy our way to a higher level......money was also probably more readily available 3 years ago than it is now.

There is only one place in football just now to make money and that's by playing in the Champions League.

The owner had us on the brink of playing Champions League football despite sabotaging our chances many times during that famous season.

The signing of a couple of quality players that following summer could have taken us past AEK Athens and into the big money.

For whatever reason, the owner bottled it and we've been in serious decline ever since.

I think the last sentence is grossly unfair. Why is everybody so keen to blame their fellow fans? Even if it is light-hearted. If proper scouting was undertaken by proper football professionals then the huge majority of fans would be patient about that. But do you think we should be patient about, for example, Pedro Lopez going to South America and signing Pinilla and Screpis? Does that deserve patience?

It was meant to be a little light hearted.

I dont think anyone thinks for a second that the problems at Hearts have occured due to the fans. Our patience has been pushed to the limits in recent years.

If you or anyone else on Kickback were offended by that statement, well all I can do is apoligise.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
It was meant to be a little light hearted.

I dont think anyone thinks for a second that the problems at Hearts have occured due to the fans.

If you or anyone else on Kickback were offended by that statement, well all I can do is apoligise.

:o

Not offended. Thicker skin that that.:);)

Charlie-Brown
I would agree with you that our problems run deeper than a few injured players (although that doesn't help).

I'm undecided about Csaba but alarm bells are ringing with the way we continue to insist on using players out of position or out of form.

Either Csaba is incompetant or being influenced in his selections. Neither of those possibilities is very appealing.

For many games last season we played with Stewart, Jonsson & Palazeulos in midfield - 3 natural midfielders - but we didn't do any better or play any better than we have this season.

Karipidis & Stewart in midfield worked reasonably well when the team was playing a passing football but s less effective when the ball is being boted over their heads.

Palazeulos didn't get on again yesterday and to be honest I don't think Csaba rates him above the other players he's picked ahead of him and I think Aguiar will probably jump ahead of him in the queue for midfield places.

Eggert Jonsson has been mostly very good at right back and I would keep him there as he is a much better player there than Robbie Neilson is.

The People's Chimp

Jonsson

Driver

Aguiar

Glen

Obua (maybe)

Kello

Jonsson

Karipidis

Berra

Obua

Miko

Stewart

Aguiar

Driver

Tulleberg

Glen

Over to you.

Buffalo Bill

I certainly agree wirh your overall point, bar one or two changes in personnel. I woldn't drop Kingston though, he was the only one with pass marks for me yesterday.

However, after the match, I couldn't help but think, what we really, really lack, is on field organisation and experience. And for me, the very thing we need on that field is an experienced centre half. Build from the back.

When january comes we should be scouting the italian teams, or the championship or even league 1, for a CH who has been about a bit, has experience and a bit of grit about them. It's maybe not going to be the most fashionable of sigings, but would add a much needed bit of backbone to what is essentially a spineless side.

Failing that, despite the abundance of midfielders, a player like Pascali yesterday, to do the dirty work, would be an asset. The so called "water carrier" is needed if you want the rest of your midfield to have the chance to push on. I don't think it is any coincedence that we haven't played as well since the binning of, for me, the excellent julien brellier.

Snake Plissken

We need an overhaul of the team - its good that Csaba is willing to stick by players but its time to make some changes.

Goalkeeper situation - if Balogh is any good then its time to give him a shot, Kello seems to be in the Banks mould of being decent but letting too many savable goals in.

Right Back - Jonsson's shift there could have been a shrewd mover but his energy and strength is wasted on the right. We need Neilson back until we can get better. Until then Karipidis didn't look all that bad at right back before so that's the temporary solution. Of course a certain Alan Maybury is training with the team just now - a 6 month deal couldn't hurt either party could it?!

Central Defence- Zaliukas is and probably always will be a bombscare, even in his better games he is prone to lapses in concentration. Berra is no captain but would do better alongside a more experienced defender. Karipidis would have been my suggestion but I think we need him at RB so we may just have to persist with him until Neilson gets fit and then move Christos back in.

Left Back - Wallace has decent attributes but has been terrible this season, unless we try a youngster - Rapnik, Brown? We're stuck with him, Obua can play there but seems to be injury-prone and suspect defensively too.

Right Midfield - Larry is clearly wasted out right, Miko is inconsistent, ditto Cesnauskis.

Central Midfield - it must surely be time to end this Karipidis experiment! Jonsson should be there instead. Stewart makes us tick and need a better enforcer to protect him as it seems that other teams are singling out Mikey.

Left Midfield - we have badly missed Driver!

Strikers - I like Mole but he can't play on his own, Glen offers more of a goal threat but I fear the effect of placing the goalscoring responsibility on a teenager.

4-4-1-1 Is a dire formation.

I don't think we have the team for 4-4-2.

I we did sign Maybury he could do a job at RWB with Obua/Wallace battling for LWB. Have Jonsson sit in behind Kingston and Stewart and get Driver buzzing just behind the striker of Nade or Tullberg.

Its a tough one with the present squad though.

Buffalo Bill

I'm all for Hearts living within their means.

The problem is that we've had three years of high earning, under perfoming human-cattle grazing off the Tynecastle turf (or treatment table).

I'd be more then happy if we could keep rid of the big earning wage thieves.

I would love nothing more than for Hearts to have a tight knit squad of no more than 20 players.

I'd more than settle for this.

Apart from financial ruin, what I'm most scared about with Hearts and me is boredom. I can handle crap performances and defeat. Hearts were crap when I discovered them.

But I hate it when we are dull. And right now, we are dull as dishwater.

Shocking full backs, out-fought in midfield, and nothing up front.

Buffalo Bill

The Mighty Thor

Charlie if Hearts are now operating under severe financial constraints then so be it. I would positively encourage it. particularly after seeing first hand yesterday what 'bang' we are getting for our buck at the moment.

One thing i would say is this. Being skint is not a defence of what is going on at HMFC right now. It never has been and it never will be.

Every other team outside the old firm works on a tighter budget than Hearts and right now i don't think any of them are much worse than Hearts. Why?

I'll tell you why. They spend the meagre resources they have well. they shop

lower league Scotland and lower league England to buy honest hardworking pros or kids with potential. We on the other hand take semi-professional players from the baltic equivelant of Junior football and allegedly pay low wages whilst paying huge amounts in 'management fees' on the annual accounts. It has to stop. it's a **** take with what appears to be very serious implications for this football club.

I'm sure Jeffries and the boys were ****ing themselves all the way home last night.

Clerry Jambo

Sorry BB Don't normally disagree with you but I would drop anyone of 10 from yesterday before Larry!

I'm all for Hearts living within their means.

The problem is that we've had three years of high earning, under perfoming human-cattle grazing off the Tynecastle turf (or treatment table).

I'd be more then happy if we could keep rid of the big earning wage thieves.

I would love nothing more than for Hearts to have a tight knit squad of no more than 20 players.

I'd more than settle for this.

Apart from financial ruin, what I'm most scared about with Hearts and me is boredom. I can handle crap performances and defeat. Hearts were crap when I discovered them.

But I hate it when we are dull. And right now, we are dull as dishwater.

Shocking full backs, out-fought in midfield, and nothing up front.

Buffalo Bill

"Dull" Unfortunately that sums up Hearts perfectly. I used to look forward to a Saturday, few beers with the boys, watch the game, disect it (over a few more beers) afterwards. Now, the game is the most boring part of the day, and frustatingly has been for a wee while :mad:

I agree totally that the team selection this season has been very poor. I really don't belive that Laszlo is the man for the job. First few games of the season i think we looked very organised & professional & started to play some good football since the Burley era.

i have been to ever home game this season & we are so slow to start the game, the away team has so much time to settle in to the game. When we do have possesion we really don't have that creative spark that should be cuttine teams up when they come to tynecastle.

Not sure if this has to do with Laszlo & previous manager's styles since Burley when teams were just blown away or is it just the lack of quality in the squad. But i do genuinly believe that we have a fairly strong squad that should have no problem competing for 3rd place.

Looking at St mirren's formation yesterday against rangers i think 3-5-2 would really work for us especially at home. I think our rb & lb positions are very weak so take them out the game.

I think Hearts strongest team is in the formation of 3-5-2

Kello - been very strong so far this season & seems to be our best goalie

Zaliukas

Berra - 3 strongest cb

Karipidis

Cesnauskis - great when in form & fit

Kingston - great ability but so lazy

Palazuelos/Jonsson DM - both excellent dm but i think palazuelos has a bit more quality

Stewart - Best midfield force, wehn heplays well, hearts play well

Driver - great pace & important player for hearts

Nade/Tullberg

Glen/mole - Big & small combination would be great for hearts. i think glen has more goals in him than mole but both good young players. Nade & tullberg not sure but 1 of them have to play.

Subs

Mole/glen

Neilson/thomson

Obua

Aguiar

Miko

Macdonald

Jonsoon/palazuelos

I think this squad selection gives us excellent width & ability in the middle of the park. Strong defensivly with the back 3 & the holding dm & good speed, youth & strength up front. Also i think the subs bench is full of options to change games if needed.

What do you's guys think?

Archived