DM - what the Hell is going on there?

Spellczech

We all know that Romanov was no fan of Brellier and most of us concede that Brellier was a limited user of the ball, but why have we not seen anyone since Brellier make this key position his own?

Brellier had good reading of the game and covered for the FBs when they were up the pitch. Conversely his tackling was sometimes reckless and he was not a constructive user of the ball, but since he left...

...we've had to endure both Zaliukas and Karapidis played there out of position. Neither is any more confident or creative than Brellier and neither protects the flanks at all. Both are capable of filling in in the DM role but neither should ever have been asked to have a run of playing this position. It is simply not the role for either.

Bruno and Palazuelos are 2 of our most technically proficient players but it seems that because neither is good in the air so they are not favoured for the DM position, being played more in a CM role instead when in Bruno's case he is fit and Ruben's case when he gets a game at all...

I cannot believe that we have gone almost 3 seasons without a DM when we have Bruno, Ruben, Jonsson and Larry all saying that it is their preferred role!

There is no danger that any of Palzuelos, Aguiar or Kingston are SPL calibre defensive midfield players.

We are crying out for Jonsson to return to the centre of midfield in the next game. And we should be looking for a player of Brellier's mould to come in at the transfer window to play in midfield beside Jonsson and Stewart.

It's simple. Romanov wants Karipidas sold and is showcasing him. It was the same with Tall who was played there many times while he was a far better defender.

Romanov is looking out for his pocket and shafting the team (and us) while doing so.

It's simple. Romanov wants Karipidas sold and is showcasing him. It was the same with Tall who was played there many times while he was a far better defender.

Romanov is looking out for his pocket and shafting the team (and us) while doing so.

Why was Zaliukas played there?

portobellojambo1
We all know that Romanov was no fan of Brellier and most of us concede that Brellier was a limited user of the ball, but why have we not seen anyone since Brellier make this key position his own?

Brellier had good reading of the game and covered for the FBs when they were up the pitch. Conversely his tackling was sometimes reckless and he was not a constructive user of the ball, but since he left...

...we've had to endure both Zaliukas and Karapidis played there out of position. Neither is any more confident or creative than Brellier and neither protects the flanks at all. Both are capable of filling in in the DM role but neither should ever have been asked to have a run of playing this position. It is simply not the role for either.

Bruno and Palazuelos are 2 of our most technically proficient players but it seems that because neither is good in the air so they are not favoured for the DM position, being played more in a CM role instead when in Bruno's case he is fit and Ruben's case when he gets a game at all...

I cannot believe that we have gone almost 3 seasons without a DM when we have Bruno, Ruben, Jonsson and Larry all saying that it is their preferred role!

It is a rather unfortunate truth that some only really appreciate what players did after they are no longer here Spellczech. And the truth is Brellier did a fecking excellent job for us. People on here would state "all he does is run about the middle of the park and commit fouls". He did a hell of a lot more than that, and the fouls he did commit very rarely resulted in us losing goals, because he conceded them, in the main, in areas he knew we would not get hurt as a result. You wouldn't have seen him doing a Mole today, he wouldn't have chased someone 60 yards to concede a free kick, he would have conceded the free kick where the ball was intially lost, and given the team time to reform. We badly need someone like him in the centre of the park, patrolling that area in front of the back 4.

It is a rather unfortunate truth that some only really appreciate what players did after they are no longer here Spellczech. And the truth is Brellier did a fecking excellent job for us. People on here would state "all he does is run about the middle of the park and commit fouls". He did a hell of a lot more than that, and the fouls he did commit very rarely resulted in us losing goals, because he conceded them, in the main, in areas he knew we would not get hurt as a result. You wouldn't have seen him doing a Mole today, he wouldn't have chased someone 60 yards to concede a free kick, he would have conceded the free kick where the ball was intially lost, and given the team time to reform. We badly need someone like him in the centre of the park, patrolling that area in front of the back 4.

Portobellojambo1 I remember you were one of the people who agreed with me about Brellier at the time. He did exactly what you said then and now ... and since he started to be pushed out of the team it has all started to go sour on the field.

Why was Zaliukas played there?

Same reason. Romanov wants his Lithuanian contingent on the park in the hope of flogging them on. Zaliukas was shoe horned into the midfield to ensure he got a game.

Brellier was one of th most important players in Burley's team. He allowed the rest to play. A big miss in our midfield.

Guest Fabuloso

100% accurate and obvious to many - unfortunately not to everyone......sadly.

portobellojambo1
Portobellojambo1 I remember you were one of the people who agreed with me about Brellier at the time. He did exactly what you said then and now ... and since he started to be pushed out of the team it has all started to go sour on the field.

The other players around him were able to play with skill Coco, because they knew he would deal with the dirty work, and they had total confidence he would successfully destroy opposition attacks. You need class in your team to be good, you also need a bit of a hard nut with guts, and in Brellier we had one of those type of players.

Brellier was one of th most important players in Burley's team. He allowed the rest to play. A big miss in our midfield.

Other teams were scared of Brellier - in a different but equally vital way to that which they were scared of Rudi.

Ever since Brellier we have signed pansies or centre backs to play in midfield.:eek:

Same reason. Romanov wants his Lithuanian contingent on the park in the hope of flogging them on. Zaliukas was shoe horned into the midfield to ensure he got a game.

He certainly has some strange methods to his alleged team pickings.

'How should I get my centre backs to be noticed by other clubs so that I can make some money?'

-'How about playing them every week in their correct position so that they play well and another club notices them?'

'No, I'll play them out of position in centre midfield. This will ensure that they play badly and get bought by another club. Even though I'm desperate to sell them and I'm picking the team I'll choose two other players to play at centre back'.

Something doesn't quite fit...

It's simple. Romanov wants Karipidas sold and is showcasing him.

I'm not saying your wrong but I've never really understood the logic in this. Why showcase a player who is out of position and as a result not playing to their full potential? If I was a scout, manager etc etc I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. Just doesn't make sense to me.

He certainly has some strange methods to his alleged team pickings.

'How should I get my centre backs to be noticed by other clubs so that I can make some money?'

-'How about playing them every week in their correct position so that they play well and another club notices them?'

'No, I'll play them out of position in centre midfield. This will ensure that they play badly and get bought by another club. Even though I'm desperate to sell them and I'm picking the team I'll choose two other players to play at centre back'.

Something doesn't quite fit...

Yep it sure didn't work with Tall - He was worth some money but left on a Bosie...

There is however something very odd about playing 3 different CBs as DMs though. It hasn't worked for more than the odd match with any of them so why do successive managers seem to be making this same mistake. There is no other conclusion than that it is is either Romanov or Korobotchka who is repeating this mistake in an obstinate and patently stupid way.

I cannot even guess how annoying it must be to midfielders to see CBs getting picked in their position and performing poorly. It's no bloody wonder the team lacks spirit - the frustration we all feel at seeing players being played out of position must be magnified within the squad a hundredfold.

On the subject, where the hell is Brellier these days?

Did Laurie end up shagging him afterall and they've both retreated to the south of France?.. :unsure:

I'm not saying your wrong but I've never really understood the logic in this. Why showcase a player who is out of position and as a result not playing to their full potential? If I was a scout, manager etc etc I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. Just doesn't make sense to me.

More than likely to make them look like good utility players, or even try to sell the feckers as midfielders to get an extra quid or two.

Or simply just a case of looking at that position as less risky for playing them while keeping a consistant back two behind it.

Either way, it happens far too often under different managers for it not to be one person's decision on it each time.

We have good midfielders in Ruben, Jonsson and now Bruno too, but neither get a sniff before Karipidas....who was on his way out in the summer, rarely got a game when he first arrived, but is now undroppable even though his thigh is strapped up and he looks to be carrying an injury.

Archived