Remember Heart of Midlothian 5 Kilmarnock 3?

Buffalo Bill

Buffalo Bill

One of the best games I've ever seen at Tynecastle.

Two teams, commited to attack. Killie take the lead with a superb Nevin volley, only then for Hearts to go on one almighty rampage; Fulton, McCann, Adam in fantastic form.

But then Killie kept coming back at us.

0-1

1-1

2-1

3-1

3-2

4-2

4-3

5-3

Some great goals for Hearts. I'm sure was it McCann's goal was a briliantly worked effort. And what about Adam - a hatrick?

...and it was only in the dying seconds, that Hearts made sure of the points through a typical late Quitongo stramash.

A near full house, a fresh autumn day, Hearts top of the league, a deep maroon strip, fantastic football, all out attack.

Great times, and yet so simple in its formula. Just a positive attitude and a bunch of guys who could play a bit; and play for eachother.

What I'd give for a serving of that this weekend; dear me - it was way back in November 1997.

Buffalo Bill

Guest jambomickey
One of the best games I've ever seen at Tynecastle.

Two teams, commited to attack. Killie take the lead with a superb Nevin volley, only then for Hearts to go on one almighty rampage; Fulton, McCann, Adam in fantastic form.

But then Killie kept coming back at us.

0-1

1-1

2-1

3-1

3-2

4-2

4-3

5-3

Some great goals for Hearts. I'm sure was it McCann's goal was a briliantly worked effort. And what about Adam - a hatrick?

...and it was only in the dying seconds, that Hearts made sure of the points through a typical late Quitongo stramash.

A near full house, a fresh autumn day, Hearts top of the league, a deep maroon strip, fantastic football, all out attack.

Great times, and yet so simple in its formula. Just a positive attitude and a bunch of guys who could play a bit; and play for eachother.

What I'd give for a serving of that this weekend; dear me - it was way back in November 1997.

Buffalo Bill

if we get a game half as good tommorow with the same result we're in for a treat

Buffalo Bill
gary holt

Did he not end up at Norwich?

Good player.

Buffalo Bill

All the omens are there mate.

Mind you, with the current crop, if Hearts score 5 goals tomorrow then expect a rendition of Mr Loverman on the Diggers compass tomorrow around 7pm!

Guest jambomickey
Did he not end up at Norwich?

Good player.

Buffalo Bill

yeah he did mate! don't know where he is now.

loveofthegame

One of the earliest games i remember really well. We had quite a few high scoring games with them around that time did we not? What a season that went on to be!

Edit: Don't remember it that well obviously, i was sure Paul Ritchie scored that day! Am i right in saying he scored in quite a high scoring game against Killie at around the same time?!

All the omens are there mate.

Mind you, with the current crop, if Hearts score 5 goals tomorrow then expect a rendition of Mr Loverman on the Diggers compass tomorrow around 7pm!

Spooky.

I asked my 3yr old son how many goals Hearts would score tomorrow and he said five...:eek:

Johanes de Silentio

Aye - I remember this game well. I'm sure it was a Sunday game.

Gary Holt ran the show and scored at least one for Killie.

Missed the kick off, and Killie were in front and playing really well when I came in, fearing the worst.

I seem to remember this as the day when people started taking Hearts seriously, cos Killie played oot of their skins, but we still managed to take five off them!

Happy days!

yeah he did mate! don't know where he is now.

I'm sure Holt was at Notting Forest last season...Could be wrong though...Usually am on things like this!! :rolleyes:

Buffalo Bill

What was the really great team goal in the first half?

Was it Adam's header or McCann?

And how good was Baggio in 97/98?

I'd go as far to say that Fulton was our player of the year.

Buffalo Bill

Spooky.

I asked my 3yr old son how many goals Hearts would score tomorrow and he said five...:eek:

Oh dear.

Between your wee laddie's predictions & BB's comparisons it looks like I may be singing tomorrow!

:rolleyes:

Guest jambomickey
What was the really great team goal in the first half?

Was it Adam's header or McCann?

Buffalo Bill

i'd agree with that! if you remember fulton came back to pre season that year having lost weight and was able to last the pace for 90 minutes every game, that season he was even making runs into the box behond the strikers.

Buffalo Bill
i'd agree with that! if you remember fulton came back to pre season that year having lost weight and was able to last the pace for 90 minutes every game, that season he was even making runs into the box behond the strikers.

Jeffries told him to lose weight or he was out.

He lost it, and nine months later, he was our Scottish Cup winning captain.

Buffalo Bill

Guest jambomickey
Jeffries told him to lose weight or he was out.

He lost it, and nine months later, he was our Scottish Cup winning captain.

Buffalo Bill

and he's a legend now!

a fantastic season all round. tons of goals scored, the feature of many matches was hearts coming tearing out the traps like a hobo on giro day and scoring 2 or 3 early goals.

couldn't barely buy a point against the old firm (couple of draws against celtic) otherwise we would have a league champoinship.

Don't think anyone who has a clue would argue with that.

Would argue it's the best season I've seen from a Hearts player (I started 1988).

J.T.F.Robertson
a fantastic season all round. tons of goals scored, the feature of many matches was hearts coming tearing out the traps like a hobo on giro day and scoring 2 or 3 early goals.

couldn't barely buy a point against the old firm (couple of draws against celtic) otherwise we would have a league champoinship.

The one at Ibrox where Albertz equalised late on, was a killer. Even the event leading to the free kick, itself.

I watched the game at the Celtic Club here and I remember the ball seemed to hit a divot, jump up and strike Gary Locke on the arm. At least that's my memory of it. :rolleyes:

The one at Ibrox where Albertz equalised late on, was a killer. Even the event leading to the free kick, itself.

I watched the game at the Celtic Club here and I remember the ball seemed to hit a divot, jump up and strike Gary Locke on the arm. At least that's my memory of it. :rolleyes:

yeah that one was a stinger right enough. on the plus side.... 1-1 at tynie, quitongo's 95th minute goal.... pure unadulterated madness.

keep a lookout on the vid/dvd of that season for the aftermath of that goal, if you look closely you see one of L & Bs fattest going skiteing on his jacksie while trying to keep order!!!!

sheer pant wetting stuff.

I remember I won first goalscorer on the bus (McCann) and seen my Niece for the first time outside the hospital after the game yet I could not give a s***. That goal was horrible.

Buffalo Bill

I was at that game and it was a sickener.

I think Albertz scored more goals against Hearts than any other team.

Buffalo Bill

Charlie-Brown

Fulton had a terrific season in 1997-98 & should have gone to the world cup - he'd never played better or more effectively in his career but he didn't get the call .... next season he was heading back towards being fatty Fulton & never quite recaptured the previous seasons form or fitness.

Similary John Robertson should also have gone to the 1990 world cup after his terrific 1989-90 season.....but it never happened.

J.T.F.Robertson
yeah that one was a stinger right enough. on the plus side.... 1-1 at tynie, quitongo's 95th minute goal.... pure unadulterated madness.

keep a lookout on the vid/dvd of that season for the aftermath of that goal, if you look closely you see one of L & Bs fattest going skiteing on his jacksie while trying to keep order!!!!

sheer pant wetting stuff.

The thing about that free kick, was it was so innocuous, totally out of the blue.

I was in that same club for Jose's goal. My "unadulterated madness" was kept slightly lower key. ;)

I have to say, great as 05/06 was, that really was one of the best ever seasons I can recall. We were a more 'complete' unit then and a 90 minute team to boot - unlike the 45 minute 'shock and awe' we enjoyed under St George :cool:

I missed the Killie game as I was on holiday but my favourite was the 1-0 battering we gave United up at Tannadice. The players marched off knowing that we had really put the *****rs up the SPL with that display and it was a proud moment to be a Hearts man ;)

The thing about that free kick, was it was so innocuous, totally out of the blue.

I was in that same club for Jose's goal. My "unadulterated madness" was kept slightly lower key. ;)

another baw crusher was the match late in the season, 1-1 at tynie midweek vs motherwell. we still had every chance of the title. by sheer guts they got ahead late(ish) in the game, more pandemonium, but tommy coyne(?) equalised. that was the beginning of the end.

lost to the hobos soon after that to try and give them a hand to stay up, daft fekers nonced it up.

another baw crusher was the match late in the season, 1-1 at tynie midweek vs motherwell. we still had every chance of the title. by sheer guts they got ahead late(ish) in the game, more pandemonium, but tommy coyne(?) equalised. that was the beginning of the end.

lost to the hobos soon after that to try and give them a hand to stay up, daft fekers nonced it up.

Yup, the title was effectively lost that night :sad:

I remember sitting about 3 rows from the front of the Wheatfield, section F, I think. Didn't know the guy next to me but when the last goal went in we were bouncing up and down and hugging each other.

Can't see that happening in the immediate future.

Remember Heart of Midlothian 5 Kilmarnock 3?

Was this the game when a rather portly Killie fan bent over ever to the empty row in front of him to pick up the ball?

Fell tits over arse and picked himself up to find 30,000 eyes looking at him and questioning his waist size and parentage in non pc terms.

Give him his due he took it in his stride and gave us a wave.

To top it off the St Johns came over to check him out and decided he needed treatment and led him out to the sound of penis penis ringing in his ears.

It was certainly a home game against Killie and somewhere in Kilmarnock there is a guy who thinks twice every time he comes across a coin in the street.

the last game i went to tynie with my old man before he was diagnosed with terminal cancer, he just simply said to me this is how it used to be, they scored we scored more, what a memory

The Old Tolbooth

Those were the Jose Quitongo days, I think I was one of the few fans who worshipped the ground he walked on.

As for the game, simply fantastic!!!!!

vladtheexhaler

This was the first game I took my (much) younger brother to. All he was worried about for the duration was getting a mars bar and a coke. I must confess that I thought that all hope was lost at that point but I should never have underestimated the effect that watching the Hearts could have on a young lad.

Delighted and proud to say to say he'll be sitting next to me cheering on the team tomorrow.

Aye thats you Spandex.

the killie match encapsulated the whole season for me. great football, great work ethic, potential to leak goals, and awesome entertainment. that season was the one and only time i had a season ticket and to me will never be surpassed. best year of my life, simple as that. going to hold onto those memories even more now, especially with the way things are now.

This was the year after Williamson got Killie a cup win?

He built a very strong side at Kilmarnock with an excellent midfield in particular - was it Durrant, Holt, Mitchell and Andy McLaren?

What a great game that was. Fulton and Adam - brilliant.

Archived