Once Upon a Time in New York: The Birth of Hip Hop, Disco and Punk

K1874M

Think i've seen this before Kenny.

Is it the one with Blondie when she does the rapture rap thing? Has Afrika Bambaata on it as well.

Is it the one with Blondie when she does the rapture rap thing? Has Afrika Bambaata on it as well.

Blondie ain't no she.

Debbie Harry is a she, Blondie is a band.

Shame on you.:eek:

Thats the one..

Would have been better had they spent more time on each musical 'change / movement' but a good review of what came from NY in the 70's - 90's

There was a good pink floyd documentary on iplayer last week.... watched it at 9am after JakN last week.

Blondie ain't no she.

Debbie Harry is a she, Blondie is a band.

Shame on you.:eek:

Apologies Taz, a bit before my team y'see old boy. :)

I think we had a thread on this show previously and we decided that it was good but only just scratched the surface of some seriously interesting musical history.

They could have made it a 10 part series and it would still have been brilliant.

Thats the one..

Would have been better had they spent more time on each musical 'change / movement' but a good review of what came from NY in the 70's - 90's

There was a good pink floyd documentary on iplayer last week.... watched it at 9am after JakN last week.

I meant to say, are you going to Substance at the Caves?

Landstrumm, Jason Leach, Lory D and Altern8 all playing live.

Sounds like techno highlight of the year to me.

Apologies Taz, a bit before my team y'see old boy. :)

I think we had a thread on this show previously and we decided that it was good but only just scratched the surface of some seriously interesting musical history.

They could have made it a 10 part series and it would still have been brilliant.

Totally, there was a series on about 3 / 4 years ago... was this part of it... if so I think I have seen it before. must have been smoking heavy marlboro at the time.

Totally, there was a series on about 3 / 4 years ago... was this part of it... if so I think I have seen it before. must have been smoking heavy marlboro at the time.

The punk bit with the Ramones was cool too.

I don't know too much of their stuff but everything i've heard of theirs has been excellent. Really short, snappy tunes with some amazingly catchy melodies. Their cover of I don't wanna grow up is phenomenal. Same with I wanna be sedated. Really interesting band that i should really take some time and check out a bit more.

I meant to say, are you going to Substance at the Caves?

Landstrumm, Jason Leach, Lory D and Altern8 all playing live.

Sounds like techno highlight of the year to me.

25th eh? Should be, was talking about it last weekend.

Caves is a good venue for techno, as long as you have a decent sound system.

Ramones; Gabba gabba hey!

Used to listen to Pinhead and Rocket to russia when I was younger... Great band.

25th eh? Should be, was talking about it last weekend.

It's the same day as the home game V Aberdeen.

Pretty unmissable line up.

My best mate and I and our beeeeatchs were contemplating renting an appartment in the city for the night and having a large weekend of it.

It's the same day as the home game V Aberdeen.

Pretty unmissable line up.

My best mate and I and our beeeeatchs were contemplating renting an appartment in the city for the night and having a large weekend of it.

Should be good. Stay the week and go to JakN the following Friday ;)

Who do they have this month?

Its there 5th b.day with Morphos Live (good local techno), ***-Nut, Sekonz

Should cover everything from banging, industrial, hard breaks..

Don't worry Craig, it's on BBCi-player.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b007mw93/

Watch it, it's well worth it.

New York is the backdrop for the show and if you've ever been to NYC, you'll take even more from it.

Nice one, cheers.

Did you ever see 'Pump up the volume', a documentary about the birth of the house scene? Was shown on Channel 4 many years ago. Watched it again on google videos recently, very good watch. :cool:

Nice one, cheers.

Did you ever see 'Pump up the volume', a documentary about the birth of the house scene? Was shown on Channel 4 many years ago. Watched it again on google videos recently, very good watch. :cool:

Yeah, it was brilliant mate.

Was about the evolution of the DJ and DJ culture as well.

Would like to see that again.

Archived