Bobby Charlton - Geezer?

Boris

Pleasantly surprised by his comments re Home Internationals.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7651525.stm

Charlton longs for Scotland clash

Sir Bobby Charlton believes England should play Scotland

Sir Bobby Charlton says he "can't believe" England declined the chance to play Scotland in a revived version of the old Home International tournament.

Dublin will host the Four Associations Tournament in 2011 featuring Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland and Wales, but England said no.

"Someone should think about it," he told BBC Radio Scotland's Sportsound.

"It's wrong we don't put ourselves in a position where we can invite Scotland to come and play in England."

Charlton, who made his England debut against Scotland, said he loved facing the Scots and that fans of both nations always relished the prospect of locking horns. I didn't agree with them inviting Germany to play the first international match at the new Wembley. It should've been Scotland

"The police might sometimes complain about it, but I think our association is big enough to overcome all that."

For many years the annual Home International tournament, involving England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales, was a focal point of the British football season, before it was abandoned in 1984.

"We do everything together. We work together, went to war together and suffered together," said former Manchester United and England favourite Charlton.

"I didn't agree with them inviting Germany to play the first international match at the new Wembley. It should've been Scotland."

There have been discussions for some time over a proposed Celtic Cup between the nations.

Scotland manager George Burley has said he is looking forward to taking part in the tournament.

J.T.F.Robertson

Bobby's a decent bloke, probably too "old school", though.

These days it's all about bull5hit, no substance.

Hearts Heritage

IIRC he only ever got 'booked' once and that was a mistake. He was the first British player I remember having a 'shot'. They always seemed to be arrow straight true into the top corner. None of this swerving South American nonsense.

Good to hear that.... with any lucky the more guys like B.Charlton speak up the more the FA will feel the pressure and crumble.

IIRC he only ever got 'booked' once and that was a mistake. He was the first British player I remember having a 'shot'. They always seemed to be arrow straight true into the top corner. None of this swerving South American nonsense.

:laugh:

J.T.F.Robertson

Never mind his "shot", what about the hairstyle? :eek:

alwaysthereinspirit

I remember reading or seeing him interviewed about his "shot" He said he kicked a ball against the school shed wall for hours at a time when he was a kid.

TyphoonJambo

Absolute legend and very wise words. Love or hate the tartan army, as a few on this site prefer to slag off, there is no better football day out than a trip to Wembley,winning the cup aside. At least when you used to go down there for the home internationals it felt like we were at a cup final every year. Perhaps thats the reason why we get all the small supporters groups with banners at Scotland games is becaue it's all the small teams big games. Anyway Bob Charlton= great player, imagine though, if you will, Mr Mackay there

agree with his thoughts on germany game..... to be fair, though, england v germany probably stirs them more than it does us if it was scotland v england.

apparently england beat them in a war or something.

I watched Sir Bobby play a couple of holes at The Old Course on Thursday. He and his partner Rory McIllroy were buzzing ! He's in incredible shape given he will be 71 next week and was hitting some excellent shots.

Charlie-Brown
I watched Sir Bobby play a couple of holes at The Old Course on Thursday. He and his partner Rory McIllroy were buzzing ! He's in incredible shape given he will be 71 next week and was hitting some excellent shots.

Footballers today are simply a different physical shape to Bobby Charlton or Drew Jarvie or Dennis Tuart of Man City nevermind the infamous comb-over baldie hairstyles....they were still top-flight players although ageing but tremendously talented players but they looked like peoples Old Dad's...you just don't get players like that anymore .... even veterans like Teddy Sheringham have twenty-something or teeny-bash girlfriends. :cool_shades:

Chad Sexington

I've never heard anyone say a bad word about Bobby Charlton...apart from comments about his famous "pigeon wing" hairstyle :).

He's a proud Englishman and loved nothing better than sticking it to the Scots on the pitch, but he had total respect for the Scots off it.

Just the way it should be.

Nice comments.

As has been pointed out, Charlton loved nothing better than beating Scotlad at football - it was vice versa as welll. Englands clubs were full to the brim with Scottish players.

England will no doubt be dragged halfway around the world to play a far east select side in a nice money earner when the rest of the home nations "lock horns"

Pleasantly surprised by his comments re Home Internationals.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7651525.stm

I met Gordon Banks and Martin Peters a couple of years ago and both of

them said the tournament should be revived. I have to say they were top blokes. :)

Personally, I think Scotland would be humiliated in this tournament as the gap between Scotland and England in terms of ability is as wide as I can ever remember. Only Craig Gordon would stand even the remotest chance of getting in their squad, never mind their team.

loveofthegame
I met Gordon Banks and Martin Peters a couple of years ago and both of

them said the tournament should be revived. I have to say they were top blokes. :)

Personally, I think Scotland would be humiliated in this tournament as the gap between Scotland and England in terms of ability is as wide as I can ever remember. Only Craig Gordon would stand even the remotest chance of getting in their squad, never mind their team.

I thought that last time we played them at Wembley but remember how that turned out...

We'll always be able to compete with England regardless of the gulf in individual talent. Don't know why that is, possibly just due to the emotions that the game stirs up in Scottish players, etc. Like any derby it can always go either way.

And nice comments from Charlton, spot on.

I thought that last time we played them at Wembley but remember how that turned out....

One game. Big deal.

One game. Big deal.

I may be mistaken, Therapist - but would the tournament consist of playing each team once?

Shows it can be done.

;)

Geoff Kilpatrick
This brilliant book is titled Best and Edwards, but it is basically the story of Bobby Charlton.

Highly recommended.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Edwards-Gordon-Burn/dp/0571215807

I have Bobby Charlton's autobiography and he makes a point in it of praising the Home Internationals. He says that because he grew up in the North East of England he understood the rivalry with Scotland and absolutely loved playing Scotland both at Hampden and Wembley.

Legend is the most apt word for Sir Bobby.

Charlie-Brown

I know they were never in fashion cos they are ridiculous but when did footballers with baldie-combe-scrape-over-hairdo's disappear? Who was the last you can remember?

I know they were never in fashion cos they are ridiculous but when did footballers with baldie-combe-scrape-over-hairdo's disappear? Who was the last you can remember?

Donald McVicar

Neil MacFarlane

Archived