EMA

ZacBaker

heartsfc_fan

I don't see the fairness in folk getting this.

When I was in 6th year 3 years ago a few of my mates got it and I didn't. Only reason being is because my parents earned more than ?30K a year - STUPID RULE!

Are they expecting my parents to give me money, because I got bog all from them.

What fercking difference does it make if they earn, say ?25K or ?30K?

Are they basically saying that all poorer folk are less likely to go to school than the folk with more money, so we'll tempt them with ?30 a week to come to school? FARCE if you ask me.

Educational Maintenance Allowance

BAsically getting paid for going to school!

And for the record, i dont think its fair either, but im elligible so im going to use it!

heartsfc_fan

Also if you live in a house with a signle parent, you get the full amount -

...but yes they don't pick up on folks ma's and pa's who aren't married, but still living together!

Another example of the stupidity of the system...

Educational Maintenance Allowance

BAsically getting paid for going to school!

And for the record, i dont think its fair either, but im elligible so im going to use it!

Paid to attend school? Isn't that just bribery?

Youth of today:mad:

heartsfc_fan
Paid to attend school? Isn't that just bribery?

Youth of today:mad:

Exactly. It's a stupid rule that should either be stopped or reviewed.

Bascially, anyone over the age of 16 at school or college can get it.

heartsfc_fan
paid to go to school? :confused: how much are we talking?

Anything up to ?30 a week I believe, depending on how much mammy and daddy earn a year.

Up to ?30K a year combined (which IMO is CRAP!)

....so if your parents earn ?31,001 a year, tough cookies basically.

you have to be taking the ****. Paid because you go to school? WTF? This country is a mad house full of erses in power. What a ridiculous waste of money. If you dont want to go to school then **** off and do something else!

heartsfc_fan
you have to be taking the ****. Paid because you go to school? WTF? This country is a mad house full of erses in power. What a ridiculous waste of money. If you dont want to go to school then **** off and do something else!

my views exactly

Commander Harris

I think the point is to encourage people from lower income families to stay on at school when they might feel pressured to leave and start working at the earliest opportunity when that might not necessarily be the best path for them.

If that is coupled with a policy at the School that only permits people to stay on if they are realisticly going to acheive some highers rather than just dossing about and putting off work for another year or two then I don't think it's that bad an idea.

heartsfc_fan
I think the point is to encourage people from lower income families to stay on at school when they might feel pressured to leave and start working at the earliest opportunity.

Here's my point though, why should it just be folk from a lower income family, why not everyone?

I also think the way that they look at it - all the wee neds and dumb asses come from council estates are wasters and have no money - so let's tempt them to come to school.

Not always the case nowadays.

Why should it have anything to do with your parents income anyway? It's a farce. The other 2 rules where - if you live with 1 parent (ahh yes, but your parents might not be married! They don't pick up on that).

And I also believe the final rule was, if both of your parents didn't go to university or some stupid think like that. What's that got to do with anything? FFS!

Commander Harris
Here's my point though, why should it just be folk from a lower income family, why not everyone?

I also think the way that they look at it - all the wee neds and dumb asses come from council estates are wasters and have no money - so let's tempt them to come to school.

Not always the case nowadays.

Why should it have anything to do with your parents income anyway? It's a farce. The other 2 rules where - if you live with 1 parent (ahh yes, but your parents might not be married! They don't pick up on that).

And I also believe the final rule was, if both of your parents didn't go to university or some stupid think like that. What's that got to do with anything? FFS!

the reasoning would be that people from families with decent incomes wouldn't feel pressured to start earning as soon as possible where as someone from a very low income family might feel that they can't stay on at school as their parent/s can't afford it.

I'm not saying I necessarily agree with that but as far as I can see that would be the argument.

like I say, if schools are only letting people with a serious desire to work stay on then I think it can work, whether it works like that in practice is a different question.

heartsfc_fan
the reasoning would be that people from families with decent incomes wouldn't feel pressured to start earning as soon as possible where as someone from a very low income family might feel that they can't stay on at school as their parent/s can't afford it.

I'm not saying I necessarily agree with that but as far as I can see that would be the argument.

like I say, if schools are only letting people with a serious desire to work stay on then I think it can work, whether it works like that in practice is a different question.

Probably fair enough.

Still think it needs to be viewed though.

Lots of ways people get by it and still get the money (like parents who aren't married). Folk who say, live with their dad or mum only, but turns out that they are on a healthy wage themself of well over ?30K - they don't pick up on that.

Some folk in the year below me got it and just spent it on Fags and chippys at lunch time - the way I look at it, the government are paying for them to do that.

Something tells me a lot of children from lower income families would be willing to give up their EMA in place of being brought up in a household that earns 30,000k+.

Fair enough if an INTELLIGENT student feels pressured to leave early and THEY get the money, but as prev posters pointed out they had it out to anyone scamming the system (which doesnt look hard) and most folk take the pesh and spend it on fags and chippies. It should be used for intelligent students, no point giving it to some dummy who wont get any highers anyway.

IMO if you dont pass 6 standard grades at level 4 or higher then you shouldnt be allowed to stay on in 5th year. Waste of time, go learn a trade or do something more useful.

Commander Harris
Fair enough if an INTELLIGENT student feels pressured to leave early and THEY get the money, but as prev posters pointed out they had it out to anyone scamming the system (which doesnt look hard) and most folk take the pesh and spend it on fags and chippies. It should be used for intelligent students, no point giving it to some dummy who wont get any highers anyway.

IMO if you dont pass 6 standard grades at level 4 or higher then you shouldnt be allowed to stay on in 5th year. Waste of time, go learn a trade or do something more useful.

my old school operated a simiar policy, and I think they still do. Don't think they are alone in that regard either.

EMA is an fantastic set up that works very effectively. If a student does not attend school for one day in a week for reasons other than medical and the usual, they will not receieve their ?10-?30. It encourages students to go to school and be more enthusiastic about their education. Furthermore should they meet targets in class, they receive a bonus at certain times in the year. This is for fifth and sixth years where the drop out rates amongst children from families on lower income is much higher.

blondejamtart

Yes, in some ways it is a good idea, and I agree that it should only be paid subject to certain conditions, such as attendance, etc, but for anyone to claim ?30,000 is a massive amount is ridiculous. As one poster has pointed out, just because your parents earn more than that - even slightly over the limit - it doesn't mean they're handing out cash to you right, left and centre. It's almost as if people are being penalised because they do have two parents who are married and live together these days!

Also if you live in a house with a signle parent, you get the full amount -

...but yes they don't pick up on folks ma's and pa's who aren't married, but still living together!

Another example of the stupidity of the system...

I wish mate, live with a single parent and get a tenner, not that im complaining, but my mates mum and dad who their own resturaunt pass for the full ?30 simply because their not on a fixed income, bit of a farce as they are totally minted.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Well my wee sisters who live with my single parent mum are delighted with it.

They get a few quid to spend on whatever and it takes the pressure off the old lady.

If your parents are on 30k a year I don't think you are worthy of it to be honest.

Archived